Exile on Main St. on CD - Is there anything better than the 1994 Virgin RM

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Andersoncouncil, Feb 4, 2016.

1. Andersoncouncil

Andersoncouncil Forum Resident Thread Starter

Wow---this CD sounds so nice. The 1994 Virgin remaster could be one of the nicest CD's I ever heard. The 2009 remaster is brickwalled and nearly unlistenable, while the original CBS CD has some strange volume fluctuation on Sweet Virginia---this is a very noticeable flaw, along with the CD just sounding dull to my ears. But man oh man the 1994 Virgin is beautiful. Anyone else agree? Are there any other digital versions that surpass this? (i've only heard the three I mentioned).

2. Remy

Remy Forum Resident

I agree, it's a nice sounding CD. I like all the Virgin Stone reissues. But I think I might like the 2013 Platinum Shm-cd flat transfer a little more.

3. mikeja75

mikeja75 Forum Resident

+1. I really love all of the flat transfer CDS from Japan, but the Virgin sounds great too.

4. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

I have both the original CBS CD and the Virgin '94 remaster. I prefer the CBS.

5. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Love the Virgin CD of this album. I sense that there were first generation reels of some songs used for the first time. There is also speculation that a few songs were remixed.

Whatever they did, it's a very focused presentation of the album like no other.

The Japanese SACD I've read is the best presentation of the "Artisan" LP master tape, or the mixed and asembled master.

It's confusing with this album. The true master is a difficult one to work from. The Virgin tackled the beast.

The Artisian cutting master used to make original LP sets was used to good advantage on the SACD or so I'm let to believe.

6. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

To my ears the CBS is the most crankable, so that's my pick.

7. beasandpeans

beasandpeans Forum Resident

The SACD is the best.

lechiffre, JRM, sami and 6 others like this.
  8. James_S888

James_S888 Forum Resident

For CD - the 1994 Virgin CD. Rumour has it that it's actually a new mix, done or overseen by Bob Ludwig. Whatever, for a CD, it's the best.
    The SHM-SACD is very, very good.

Vinyl - the original Artisan US pressing. Or the US metal masters used wherever. I like the German pressing using the Artisan metal because the vinyl quality is so much better.

The recent Masher Marcussen reissue is awful.

9. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

CBS CD for me.

George P, deredordica, Rukiki and 4 others like this.
  10. jhw59

jhw59 Forum Resident

Blu Ray ain't bad

11. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

I had the virgin, the deluxe remaster and Platinum. To me the Platinum was by far the best sounding.

stef1205, jmrife and Greg Gee like this.
  12. Limopard

Limopard National Dex #143

I like the '94 Virgin enough for not looking any further.

13. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

Keep in mind that the backing tracks were recorded under the influence of sunshine, wine and narcotics in the south of France. Vocals and finishing touches were completed in Los Angeles where the Glimmer Twins also had unlimited access to all the blow and bourbon they could consume. Nothing will ever make it sound good, just like grainy look of The Godfather.

The CBS and 1994 Virgin are cheap and common. I'm burnt out on Sweet Virginia so I hit the skip button and miss the abrupt volume. I enjoys the warts and all CBS but keep the absolutely perfect 1994 mini LP Virgin reissues for fondling. If I had a better vinyl rig maybe my 1985 vinyl would sing but I'm to cheap to upgrade.

14. dabl

dabl Senior Member

That's a pretty ridiculous rumor.

If they had authorized a remix from the multichannel tapes why would they have chosen to use a mastering engineer?

Bob Clearmountain has been the remix engineer they've picked for any such work over the past few years.

15. joelee

joelee Hyperactive!

Japan SACD is the real deal. I burned it to redbook and it trounces all other versions too.

16. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

Both the Virgin and the Pt SHM CD are excellent. The CBS CD is terrible, and the 2009 is an even worse pile of poo.

17. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

Another thing, back in 2010 Don Was said the original master is MIA.

18. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

"Exile" is so goofy sounding and mixed so (choose one) strangely/poorly/carelessly/uniquely that I wonder one expects of a 'good' sounding version. I mean, it's not like the kind of record you;d use to test stereo equipment.

19. James_S888

James_S888 Forum Resident

exactly. that was already the case in 1994. that lead to the delivery of a mint copy of exile to don was at his place in LA while he was doing some early recording for voodoo lounge with jagger and richards. that was used as reference for bob ludwig when the CD was done. given that the master was awol, how did he get the tape used for that cd?

20. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

I just scoured Google because I remember something about a 'lost' tape/tapes. But I found nothing definitive.
    Now, the light just turned on in me head. If you have the Japanese SACD or the Platinum Shm Exile........
    then you already have a clone copy of the original so called UK master tape!
    Unless their equing the new transfer it cannot sound better than the SACD/Platinum. So pop that one in, play it and
    ask yourself if you wanna spend $60 on a vinyl version of that.
    See, I just fell into the same collector bait on this before the light turned on.
    I ALREADY have the version of Exile that is the closest thing to the master tape.
    Just shows you they do know how to play us.
    Just keep buying the same thing..........
    And Jagger doesn't care, he and the boys already got paid, it's their record company that has to take the loss of unsold product.
    the beave

Stencil, Greg Gee and rtalwani like this.
  21. KeninDC

KeninDC Hazy Cosmic Jive

SHM-SACD is sublime and captures the magic. The Virgin CD is really darn good. My Virgin CD is a UK Nimbus mastering in the album-style sleeve. The CBS CD is distant, sloppy, and wrong. But it's Exile, not Aja, so the CBS has its fans. 2009 Universal is a dog's breakfast and its "modern" sound is the artistic equivalent of colorizing Casablanca.

I have three US Artisan LPs and these sound swell. The only folks who think the Canadian LP sounds better are Canadian. Just saying.

Nothing murky about the mix. Just don't expect Mick's voice to become unburied in the mix. It was meant to be that way. Like an old blues record.

22. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

Yeah, well just expect to pay @ $50 or more for that SHM CD.

:sigh:

I’m happy with the Artisan vinyl and the 1994 Virgin CD.

23. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

It's 30 dollars from CD Japan, and so is the SHM-SACD. Both are worth every penny.

KeninDC, Stencil and Greg Gee like this.
  24. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

Uh.....$30.97 from Cd Japan for the Platinum Shm which is the redbook version of the sacd:

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/UICY-40001

Now THAT'S a steal!
    the beave

25. old school

old school Senior Member

Platinum SHM is my favorite.

Dave Hoos likes this.