Expanded Procol Harum reissues (2015)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by sharedon, Apr 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

I think the salvo release of salty dog blows away the old mfsl version. I expect the esoteric version to be as good or better based on the first two[/QUOTE]

I do agree that the new Esoteric Shine On Brightly set is quite good but I will bet @You Better You Bet 's aluminum Mofi collection that the Salty Dog Mofi will not be topped. That is how confident I am. :D

You Better You Bet likes this.
  2. I do agree that the new Esoteric Shine On Brightly set is quite good but I will bet @You Better You Bet 's aluminum Mofi collection that the Salty Dog Mofi will not be topped. That is how confident I am. :D[/QUOTE]

:confused: I am reading you wrong or did you just contradict yourself? :)

Terry and eelkiller like this.
  3. Ed Hughes

Ed Hughes Senior Member

:confused: I am reading you wrong or did you just contradict yourself? :)[/QUOTE]

I think the first part of eelkillers post was a quote from another member.
    It's not showing up as such other than the (quote) at the end.
    Just like your post in my post. (Kinda weird though)

4. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

Finally received Shine On Brightly and it's awesome. What a great package:cheers:

PGB, Ed Hughes and smiley69 like this.
  5. CrimsonPiper

CrimsonPiper Forum Resident

Any clear improvement on the Westside?

6. Fred68

Fred68 Loves Music

7. Dennis Metz

I haven't compared, but considering the extras it's a must have anyway :cheers:

8. You Better You Bet

You Better You Bet Forum Resident

He's easily confused. Canadian, you know. :winkgrin:

PGB and eelkiller like this.
  9. Dennis Metz

I resemble that remark :cheers:

PGB likes this.
  10. eelkiller

Canadian and poor thanks to you. :rolleyes:

You Better You Bet likes this.
  11. eelkiller

Sure looks like I was hammered again but I have not figured out the metric version of the ****ing quotes. :laugh: The "I think the salvo release of salty dog blows away the old mfsl version. I expect the esoteric version to be as good or better based on the first two...." was from post 228 by a non-Canuck.

12. :confused: I am reading you wrong or did you just contradict yourself? :)[/QUOTE]
    The new SOB is great!

13. giantleech

giantleech Lord of all fevers and plagues

Kinda wish that all of these Esoteric Procol issues came in clamshell boxes as was done for Shine On Brightly.

Timjosephuk likes this.
  14. qtrules

qtrules Forum Resident

the 1st album wasn't?

15. Dennis Metz

No. That was a bit of a disappointment

16. eelkiller

At least your copy has arrived! ;)

17. Thomas Casagranda

Thomas Casagranda Forum Resident

I posted this on the separate Home posting, but I could do with an expanded Edmonton;

Home is a fantastic album, shame about the cover though.

Procol were a great band, up until Exotic Birds & Fruit. Ninth has some good songs, but the wheels started to come off, what with Leiber and Stoller producing Ninth, and then the Albert brothers producing the excruciatingly awful Something Magic.

Gary Brooker still has an amazing voice on him, as I saw Procol at the Dominion Theatre in London in November 2014. It was also available as a Radio 2 broadcast on Friday Night Is Music Night. Brooker is on a parity with Steve Winwood, as one of the UK's finest blue eyed soul vocalists.

I don't know if it's me, but I'm somewhat disappointed with the Salvo reissues, and I will explain why: they, Salvo, made an horrendous mistake with the mastering of both the first album, and then Shine On Brightly. Secondly, and I've studied the liner notes to the Live At Edmonton album, and it appears that there were more rehearsals and outtakes than what appeared on the Salvo CD reissue. I read of a version of Albinoni's Adagio, played by Chris Copping, as a warm-up, prior to opening with Conquistador. I also read that the versions on the album were the second and third attempts of each track. This makes me wonder if there are extra tracks, or a potential for a double CD.

I also feel Esoteric have done fine work on the reissues of the first 4 albums, so why can't Gary Brooker hand the masters over, from Salvo, to Esoteric, and let fuller versions of other Procol albums come out. I also have the Salty Dog deluxe, on Esoteric, and wonder if there are not more live tracks from the late 60s. Skip Softly is medleyed with Also Sprach Zarathustra and Sabre Dance, so why are there not any other tracks ? Will they be issued, or left in the can. Likewise, there's evidence of a live gig at the Rainbow in 1972, with an orchestra, which doesn't appear to be issued.

18. Dennis Metz

Something Magic is not a bad album at all. Not up the the standards of their previous work, but hardly awful.

lee59 likes this.
  19. What I dislike about the clamshell box (well, the one I have) is that the damn lid won't stay down! Also, the artwork (in my opinion) is printed vertically on the box. In other words, it should be like a book or a gatefold LP but instead it is printed 90 degrees to the horizontal!

20. eelkiller

"Won't stay down" ties into the "What a great package" comment earlier by Dennis. :)

PGB likes this.
  21. CrimsonPiper

CrimsonPiper Forum Resident

I hear you, even though, in general, I usually don't spend much time listening to the extra tracks. Just interested in the best sounding version of the original album.

PGB and Ed Hughes like this.
  22. Timjosephuk

Timjosephuk Forum Resident

Just checked the track listing for "A Salty Dog" out this week. Is it just me or is the BBC Session (Skip Softly/Wish Me Well/Long Gone Geek) repeated from the "Shine On Brightly" set??

It lists different dates, but the second was just a repeat broadcast of the first!

23. bluenote9

bluenote9 Forum Resident

this seems to be true of similar Esoteric releases, I have the Moody Blues Magnificent Moodies & Anthony Phillips Geese & Ghost all with the same problem, they don't sit right when stored vertically.

24. lou

lou Fast 'n Bulbous

I noticed that too. Seems unlikely they would have performed the same songs unless the broadcast was just a repeat of the earlier one. I'm hoping the track listing is mistaken and something else will be substituted for that BBC session.

Timjosephuk likes this.
  25. Paul W

Paul W Senior Member

If you'd like answers to these questions and many others, join the Facebook Procol Harum page. Some of the folks who post there are (ahem) quite well-informed.......

PGB likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.