Expanded Versions of The Cars - Candy-O, Panorama, Shake It Up, Heartbeat City albums Coming 28 July

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by arob71, May 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

oh ok. I was going to say be glad money is being saved. the rolling stones are my favorite band and they have like 10-11 deluxe sets of albums and stuff to buy

alexpop likes this.
  2. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Wishing is a lot cheaper, than availability. :)

Matthew Tate likes this.
  3. zen archer

zen archer Forum Resident

4. ampmods

ampmods Forum Resident

I love it!

zen archer likes this.
  5. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

You're not the only one...I love PANORAMA. Those first 3 albums, the stuff.

6. Cast Iron Shore

Cast Iron Shore Forum Resident

Demos for the entirety of Panorama exist, but unfortunately aren't included on the expanded version. Ric discusses them in a Rolling Stone interview:

"Ocasek plays a cassette of his original, home-produced demos of the songs from Panorama, before the other band members and producer Roy Thomas Baker sleeked and expanded them. These recordings are far stranger and more obsessed-sounding than anything the Cars have yet released. I tell Ocasek, in fact, that I prefer them to the album versions.

Ocasek smiles demurely and drops his limber frame into a small sofa. "I have to admit, in my heart of hearts, that sometimes I do, too. But the band can't always play this stuff the way I envision it." He shrugs resignedly."

7. pobbard

pobbard Still buying CDs

Holy smoke! I'd love to hear these. Won't hold my breath, though...

8. CirculationUnderflow

CirculationUnderflow Well-Known Member

Candy-O doesnt have a bad song on it

Panarama does but damn TOUCH and GO felt like the definition of new wave when it came out. Never sure what the were going for with the title cut and its so long. Down Boys was the flip side of Touch and GO so you almost got the best of Panarama on the 45. I wanna go UP AND DOWN. I love the CARS

Lewisboogie, driverdrummer and jamesc like this.
  9. pobbard

pobbard Still buying CDs

Related: I just learned now that the Milkwood album (pre-Cars) got a digital release last year. You can hear clips on Amazon. It is... not at all what I expected.

10. snowman872

snowman872 Forum Resident

What's the story with this? Did The Cars record the Candy-O record twice at different studios? Are there versions of all the songs or just these?

11. Downsampled

Downsampled Senior Member

I'm still waiting for a studio version (or a good-sounding live version) of "Take What You Want." Not sure if it would be a Candy-O era track, or the debut.

Nevertheless, the performance on their Musikladen video is still awesome. Love that long guitar solo.

Update: I see from the comments in that video that a demo of this track is on the deluxe CD of their debut. I guess I'll have to buy that!

12. Bananas&blow

Bananas&blow It's just that demon life has got me in its sway

Anyone know much about the mastering on these? I assume they are probably inferior to the MOFI editions?
    Looks like the 2016 masterings. Anyone know if the 2016 LP's are squashed to a 9 DR also? The expanded Candy-O looks enticing for only $25 minus whatever promo Music Direct is offering.

13. More folk rock as I recall. I haven't listened to it in years. The songwriting isn't quite s sharp as Ocasek's Cars stuff. its weird to see Ocasek looking like a typical rocker and Ben Orr...wow how different.

My guess is that they use the previous masters prepared for vinyl. They probably did the bonus tracks at the same time.

14. jamesc

jamesc Senior Member

Just noticed the Live at the Agora RSD release is available in FLAC form on Qobuz.

pobbard likes this.
  15. Is this reissue program not going to include the self-titled debut album? It was remastered & expanded in 1999 but excluded Cool Fool and Take Me Now.

16. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

I suspect they consider the 2 cd version of the first album is the reissue. And those two tracks are on the Just What I Needed anthology. So I'm guessing they won't reissue the 2 cd version just to add those two, already released tracks.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  17. It's seems strange to carry on a reissue program 18 years later. :confused:

18. I believe it's out of print so maybe they will eventually put it out again.

Matthew Tate and Andrew Smith like this.
  19. It seems as if it is out of print. Also, that 1999 release was classed as a "Deluxe Edition", but these new reissues are being advertised as "Expanded Editions".

Galley likes this.
  20. I'm not much of a download guy but the bonus tracks for those albums I would just download separately (if Rhino doesn't jerk fans around and not make them available) as I've purchased each of these albums multiple times and I'm quite happy with my Mofi's.

ElevatorSkyMovie likes this.
  21. Bananas&blow

Anyone order these? I'm curious if the bonus tracks are worth it. They are priced reasonably at $25 regular price.

22. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

I love Candy-O. Panorama, not so much. :)

23. Bananas&blow

Incorrect. Listen closely to Panorama with your eyes closed and no distractions. There is a lot going on. It's brilliant I say!

24. jamesc

jamesc Senior Member

I've ordered them but they aren't released until the 28th. They're currently ~$10 each at Deep Discount.

25. George P

George P Notable Member

*Raises hand high*

ShallowMemory and davers like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.