Expanded Versions of The Cars - Candy-O, Panorama, Shake It Up, Heartbeat City albums Coming 28 July

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by arob71, May 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

I made the mistake of getting the 2016 CD box. Compressed beyond belief and painful to listen to. Unless you must have the extras, stay far away.

Jerk The Handle and Galley like this.
  2. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

So these don't give you something to grab for?

3. pobbard

pobbard Still buying CDs

Some good news. I posted this question on The Cars Facebook page earlier today:

Is "They Won't See You (Northern Studios Version)" the same track that appears on the deluxe CD reissue of THE CARS? That version of "They Won't See You" was also recorded at Northern Studios.

And is "Night Spots (Northern Studios Version)" the early version that appears on the JUST WHAT I NEEDED compilation from 1995? Thanks!

And then I got this answer from their account:

Hi Phil, both versions on the new Expanded sets are different from the ones you mention.

jamesc and Galley like this.
  4. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

I wrote on a Facebook thread that I wished Ric's demo of Panorama was on the set because I'd read somewhere that a journalist said it was better than the released version. Elliot Easton reacted to that. Called it "piffle". Lol

jamesc likes this.
  5. Scottb

Scottb Senior Member

6. friendofafriend

friendofafriend Forum Resident

Great, but please tell me where I can find that for a reasonable price? I've listened to the 2016 box and the version from the older "Original Album Series" box and they are both overly compressed to the point that I my preferred non-vinyl version that I own is still cassette. I've searched for the original cd, but it seems to be at least $76 - >$200 on Amazon, which even at the low end is more than I wish to pay for one cd.

7. The Original Album Series are not the same mastering as the original CD issues?

melstapler likes this.
  8. negative1

negative1 80s retro fan

awesome, very cool to hear.

sounds like ric is a little late on several of the words, and nice to hear some instrumental parts
    that normally aren't clear.

later

Scottb likes this.
  9. morgan1098

morgan1098 Forum Resident

The original CD issued in 87 was reissued in "HDCD" a few years later. I'm guessing the HDCD version, which would have been the most recent in print, was included in the Original Albums box? The packaging doesn't really say.

Whatever the case, if you're looking for the first, non-HDCD version, there's one at the first link below for $9 on Discogs:
    The Cars - Panorama (original)
    The Cars - Panorama (HDCD)

Pete Puma likes this.
  10. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Still waiting for the Houston 1984 DVD(extra songs not on VHS?) and a factory pressed DVD of their music videos(throw in some solo vids as bonus)

11. bryduck

bryduck Forum Resident

I LOVE "Wake Me Up"! I wish they had finished it . . .

12. negative1

negative1 80s retro fan

whoops, should have been more careful, that's benjamin orr on vocals, not ric.

later

13. ricks

ricks Senior Member

Audio and car-0-philes will have the very good original mastering and the excellent MFSL as goto's. I'd consider the new issue only for the bonus stuff.

My favorite Car's Album is Heartbeat City :) Something about the album that means summer to me - probably due to childhood memories.

driverdrummer and Pete Puma like this.
  14. friendofafriend

friendofafriend Forum Resident

Thanks for the link to buy the original cd! I don't know which version comes in the Original Albums box, but I used to own that box and I did not think the Panorama cd in that box sounded very good (though I will say that I was not playing it on a player that decoded HDCD if it is that version).

I don't own the Elektra Years box on vinyl, but I do have the recent Moving In Stereo collection on vinyl, and I think it sounds really good - much better to me than the same songs on the cd's from the Elektra Years box. This leads me to believe that I will likely be happy with the sound of these new expanded version on vinyl (or perhaps I should just get the vinyl box - I need to decide how interested I am in the extra tracks).

15. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

jamesc, katstep and Keith V like this.
  16. pobbard

pobbard Still buying CDs

It's good. And definitely sounds like something from Panorama!

Keith V likes this.
  17. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Where's The Cars big cd box set?

18. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

Well, they released the 6 cd box set "The Elektra Years 1978-1987" last year.

And in 1995 they released the 2 disc comp "Just What I Needed", which had a number of previously unreleased tracks.

And the first album was reissued in '99 as a disc set set, the 2nd disc of which was comprised of all unreleased material.

I know neither of the last two are "big cd box sets", but they included unreleased material, so are significant, just like the new reissues of Candy-O and Panorama.

pobbard and alexpop like this.
  19. alexpop

Not interested in CD studio albums all bunched together. Referring to a large box with albums original track continuity with extra songs /outtakes, book.,lavish treatment in other words.

20. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

Listened to this one earlier....they made the right choice by leaving this bore of a tune off the album. Glad to finally get the chance to hear it though.

jsayers likes this.
  21. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

Nice. I love it.

22. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

you are getting that now with these deluxe releases.

alexpop and Keith V like this.
  23. alexpop

I want it all in a BIG box with Book, please. :laugh:

Keith V and Matthew Tate like this.
  24. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

are the cars your favorite band?

Keith V and alexpop like this.
  25. alexpop

No.
    ( did see them live once, also Ric Ocasek walking about Brussels late at night in 1991, he stood out).

Just like complete sets in a box ( in a cardboard box). :)

Last edited: Jun 16, 2017
    Matthew Tate likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.