Expensive Speakers

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Ron Scubadiver, Jan 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

Right, but that's a sliding scale for everyone based on their incomes and net worths. I've been at benefit events where people bid $1ooK, $200K on a guitar off Springsteen's back and a promise of his mom's lasagna. You know, they were gonna be a contributing to the organization anyway, hell, maybe they already had in addition to the coupla hundred grand they laid out. But for them, you know, to them it was like bidding a couple of hundred bucks for a round of golf at a local charity dinner to me.

Personally, I've heard those MBL omnis at a show once, and they really blew my mind. If I had the dough, I'd might spend $70K on them. Unfortunately, I don't think I'm ever going to be in that economic strata.

Kyhl likes this.
  2. russk

russk Forum Resident

Spain and Portugal. Fantastic

timind and The Pinhead like this.
  3. Ron Scubadiver

Ron Scubadiver Forum Resident Thread Starter

Must be part of the Samsung fallout.

4. Ron Scubadiver

I guess what amazes me is how many offerings there at prices over $20k per pair, whether from the few big manufacturers, or from guys working out of a small wood shop and getting their drivers from Seas or some other supplier. My own approach would be to trust one of the big guys like B&W, Monitor, Revel, or Focal.

Robert C likes this.
  5. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Ever been to Thailand?

wgriel likes this.
  6. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

I wished !

SandAndGlass likes this.
  7. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

"Horses For Courses." Right now someone is enjoying their $129 Andrew Jones designed speakers.

wgriel likes this.
  8. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

Which is very cool. I wonder if David Wilson would be interested in taking on the challenge of designing a speaker that could be manufactured by a big brand and sold at Best Buy. How much of his tech could trickle down into a $500 speaker. I think it would be interesting.

MonkeyMan likes this.
  9. The Pinhead

or PWK;)

SandAndGlass likes this.
  10. BMWCCA

BMWCCA Forum Resident

Mine were $50, shipped, but I don't really enjoy them that much.

I do really enjoy my $200 powered JBL LSR305s, the technology of which has tricked-down from the magnificent M2 Master Reference monitors with their $25,000 price-tag.

billby and johnny q like this.
  11. olschl

olschl Forum Resident

"$437k Enigma Veyron EV-2 "

I couldn't spend half a mill on speakers until there were no more hungry children.
    Anyway, for that money I could hire a pretty good band and I'd hear music from it's pure source.
    " Play it again, Bonnie. And this time let David play lead guitar." Ahhh!

12. Ron Scubadiver

Three times, and 5 trips to BA, Argentina. Just got back from Viet Nam. Google "Ron Scubadiver" and you will find my travel photos on Wordpress and Flickr at the top of the first page. Then you will realize why I have no dough left for $20k speakers.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  13. dividebytube

dividebytube Forum Resident

My oldest brother is a doctor (pediatrician) and you would never guess it by the car he drives or his house. Of course he has a second wife and three little girls, so starting a whole new family at the age of 50-something hasn't exactly helped his finances.

My old man did rather well - at least in terms of 1980s/1990s money - and he never drove flashy cars or invested too much in his stereo. It was all "nice" but never anything above $1k. It wasn't until I got into audio that he got an Adcom 555 preamp/amp combo. But the Dutch around here, for the most part, are rather conservative when it comes to spending money. Lots of it socked away for retirement or family emergencies.

bamaaudio likes this.
  14. Raffy Raff

Raffy Raff Forum Resident

Same here; they were really fantastic and "live" sounding, especially with percussion.

I've heard a lot of nice systems and demos and, it seems to me, that the sweet spot in speakers currently (and in the past decade or so) where the point of diminishing returns really sets in is between $4K-6K. I'm not saying that there aren't $2K speakers that sound better than $8K speakers, or that a $20K speaker doesn't sound better than an $8K speaker. However, in my experience, with speakers above $5K you often get "different" or "louder" but not necessarily "better." I remember maybe ten years ago listening to different Dynaudio speakers. The Evidence is, of course, awesome and can do things that other speakers in the line cannot do (like pressurize a relatively large listening room with concert-level deep bass). However, I thought that the Contour S5.4 did some things, especially with female vocals, that I actually preferred to the Evidence. To me, though, the Contour S5.4 was simply a better speaker all around than the Contour S1.4, which I thought sounded dark and "boxy." In a smaller speaker, the standmount Confidence did a lot of what the Contour S5.4 did, but without the deep bass, but for less money in a smaller package.

Speaking of which, I recently heard some ATC SCM19 bookshelf speakers. Fantastic!

15. BMWCCA

BMWCCA Forum Resident

16. dividebytube

dividebytube Forum Resident

Ah - I have no idea how much he makes, nor do I ask. He also does some Doctors Without Borders work, having visited South America several times to provide medical care.

17. BMWCCA

BMWCCA Forum Resident

Allow me to try to correct my HTML error—for the sake of clarity of meaning:
    In my experience, pediatricians are among the most poorly paid of all physicians. I think of them like I do school teachers; they're underpaid and undervalued in our society. What they both do to prepare our children for their futures is nearly priceless and we should thank them every day!

Morton LaBongo and Dave like this.
  18. Ron Scubadiver

I know a lot of folks who are well off. None of them are audiophiles. Some drive beater cars, some drive fancy cars. They all have lovely homes with lots of artwork inside.

19. MaxxMaxx4

MaxxMaxx4 Forum Resident In Memoriam

Mine were $85,000CDN, worth more I think.Would not purchase ANYTHING other then from a reputable manufacturer with a long history.I've owned many higher end speakers over the years and have not run into a problem getting parts,just to put things into prospective.

Tim 2 likes this.
  20. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

For me the crazy number for my "one day" speakers has always been 10 to 15k but that's just me. It really is all relative, there are people in this world that would think it's crazy what me and the wife spent on breakfast today.
    30 bucks or delicious:)

21. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

$85,000 but worth a million bucks in my opinion, best speakers I've heard. There more like musical instruments than audio equipment, They opened a window into recorded music that I didn't think was possible. What also made them special was they didn't unnaturally highlight details making poor recordings sound worse.

MaxxMaxx4 and Shiver like this.
  22. TerryB

TerryB Forum Resident

That describes my anesthesiologist sister in law to a T. Fortunately, she has been known to take me and my family on a few of those vacations.

Metralla likes this.
  23. The Pinhead

What's so interesting here ?!:confused:

24. Ron Scubadiver

25. Dr Tone

Dr Tone Forum Resident

What do you got?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.