Experience Hendrix extend Sony Deal ...................

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Gordon Johnson, Jul 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stillrockin

stillrockin Forum Resident

Surround mixes of AYE, ABAL and EL would certainly do it for me!

GregM likes this.
  2. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Yeah, everything except "Little Red Velvet Room" (which allegedly mentions Jimi's daughter Tami).

3. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

That would be very silly even by Janie's standards, but you never know :).

I'm in London to see the Hendrix/Handel museum among other things!

jhm, DrBeatle and Purple Jim like this.
  4. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

Janie Hendrix: "Hold my beer..."

DTK and Matthew Tate like this.
  5. rjp

rjp Senior Member

oh boy, another three years of hendrix live albums and most likely 1 or 2 more best of's thrown in for some extra cash.

DrBeatle and Matthew Tate like this.
  6. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

If they're quality/interesting live albums, that's ok with me, although for some reason I'm skeptical...:sigh:

jhm, DTK and Matthew Tate like this.
  7. sleeptowin

sleeptowin Forum Resident

ive been a Hendrix Die hard since I was 12 (s8 years ago) ive bought everything, but recently ive gone off experience Hendrix releases. expensive live albums, missed 50th anniversaries. its almost like they don't want show that this music is old.

ive loved the recent Cry of Love and Axis Remasters. I haven't even listened to the last few live albums. ive never really been a live music fan. I like layered studio albums.
    we know theres outakes out there. so why not package them up, make deluxe 3 cd versions of the main 3 albums? making a documentary about every gig that was filmed gets pretty tiresome.

8. Gordon Johnson

Gordon Johnson Forum Resident Thread Starter

I would expect a press announcement from EH regard the "what the fans / customer can expect" over the term of the deal.
    This is standard practice though EH will remain overly guarded no doubt!

Matthew Tate and jhm like this.
  9. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

There could easily be 4 disc sets:

AYE:
    * Mono (disc 1), plus a's and b's
    * Stereo (disc 2), plus stereo tracks from Smash Hits
    * Outtakes, sessions, unused mixes, etc. (disc 3)
    * 5.1 mix, high-res mono and stereo mixes (disc 4)

Axis:
    Mono (disc 1), plus a and b of Midnight Lamp/Laughing Sam's Dice
    * Stereo mixes (disc 2)...1967 stereo mix and the alternate stereo mix (see WG Polydor)
    * Outtakes, sessions, unused mixes, etc. (disc 3)

Electric Ladyland:

* Stereo (disc 1)
    * Outtakes, sessions, unused mixes, demos etc. (disc 2 and 3)
    Not sure I believe there was a dedicated mono mix of Electric Ladyland.

Good grief, it's a no-brainer!

10. frank3si

frank3si Forum Resident

Last night Experience Hendrix issued their official press release via their Facebook account. The following line was one of two sub-heads:

Legacy Recordings To Continue Historic Jimi Hendrix Catalog Project with Deluxe Music and Film Releases, Definitive Library Collections, Previously Unreleased/Newly Discovered Live and Studio Recordings and More

There was absolutely no further mention of future releases, but this studio aspect would seem to be a direct contradiction of Eddie Kramer's assertion at the time that People, Hell & Angels was the final studio release.

supermd, Matthew Tate, reb and 3 others like this.
  11. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

The 2010 vinyl studio album remasters are utterly sublime.

Don't know what you guys are talking about. This is as good as this music could possibly sound.

Tullman likes this.
  12. Gordon Johnson

Debated well and truly to death elsewhere on this forum :agree: so I'll avoid saying "are you talking about the US pressings or the EU pressings or just generalising" :hide:

showtaper, Aftermath and frank3si like this.
  13. Marc Perman

Marc Perman Forum Resident

Agreed, no other artist's back catalog has received better treatment. Even the massive Winterland LP box sounds great.

As for CDs, the 1997 remasters were I believe the third time Sony had released Jimi's catalog on CD, these were exponentially better than the first two go-rounds and still sound very good to me.

marcfeld69 and Strat-Mangler like this.
  14. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

But the CD and LP releases are completely different animals. Recent CD releases like Cry Of Love and Rainbow Bridge are great, but the "core three" could be (and should be IMO) greatly improved upon. I think folks have a right to complain that they just ported over the most recent transfers and added mini-DVDs to the Sony reissues of the AYE, Axis and ELL CDs. They can do better and the fans deserve a digital equivalent of what's been done (quality wise) with the LPs (the best pressings that is). Again, all just my opinion.

15. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Clearly, you don't know what the word "avoid" means.

16. Gordon Johnson

17. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

I think Kramer was referring to compilations of unreleased studio tracks, like VoN and PH&A. That said, Kramer is not in a position of authority, and if Janie and Sony want another similar compilation, they will likely do it with or without his involvement. Kramer was likely presenting his own feelings on the matter; I think he was uncomfortable with "Frankenstein" composite work he was instructed to do in certain instances to create "new," usable tracks for those releases.

Nevertheless, I would think that any forthcoming studio releases would contain music from the 1966/1967 session reels associated with AYE and Axis. It would be strange for EH/Sony not to release its 1967-era vault material to meet the copyright deadlines at the end of this year.

18. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

Agreed. I've said in other threads that I'm floored the outtakes from the 1st album (bootlegged on "Out Of The Studio" 1 & 2 eons ago) have never been used on an official release.

19. Gordon Johnson

Who owns them?

20. CowboyBill

CowboyBill Forum Resident

I agree, the LP of AYE is like $12 bucks at most stores and it sounds amazing!

21. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

No idea (has JP ever shed some light on this?). We just know they are "out there" and they've also used some (unrelated?) tracks on West Coast Seattle Boy (Are You Experienced). Those boots are old enough that I would hope they have their hands on those tapes by now, but who knows?

22. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

+1. I too think Sony Legacy have done a great job with the Hendrix people on the vinyl re-releases in recent years. Value and quality.

McLover likes this.
  23. Jimi Bat

Jimi Bat Forum Resident

In some cases those outtakes were more interesting than the AYE outtakes on the WCSB box.

jhm likes this.
  24. aakko

aakko Forum Resident

Hendrix vinyl catalog is confusing. Did they ever release the AA remasters in Europe?

25. R. Cat Conrad

R. Cat Conrad Almost Famous

Actual release dates aren't as important as anniversaries by year. Besides, the U.S. release of Are You Experienced was in August of '67.

Within 2017 I'd expect to see a 50th/75th release of an AYE package. To fail in this would be a missed marketing opportunity. In fact, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see a Dec. '17 or early 2018 (Jan.) release of an Axis Bold as Love package to mark the 50th Anniversary of that release and perhaps an Electric Ladyland 50th Anniversary package around October of '18, ...although they might hold that one up a month to maximize holiday gift sales.

Any reissue will have to have something of extra value to please long time Hendrix fans, not just the completists. The obvious thing would be a remaster by Bernie Grundman as his remastering work on reissues has been pointed to as an improvement over earlier CD releases by general consensus. Perhaps reissues will include SACD audiophile releases after testing the water with the BOG first show.

The sweetener would be live contemporaneous versions of first album tunes that are of decent enough quality to be marked improvements over previously released legitimate and booted tracks. Also, it wouldn't surprise me if a super limited edition (numbered) package with the obligatory video documentary, vinyl pressings, live filmed performances ...either DVD or BD... might be in the works.

Caveat: My crystal ball is hazy, ...and purple.

:cheers:
    Cat

Last edited: Jul 20, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.