Experience with Goodwin's High End in Waltham, MA?

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by Baroque, Nov 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Baroque

Baroque Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'm looking to upgrade my system and would like to buy locally, but am unfamiliar with many of the spots around Boston. One of the shops I'm planning on visiting is Goodwin's in Waltham. Any opinions? Are there other spots around Boston you've been happy with? I'll be seeking out PSB speakers and a few other components.

2. Lebowski

Lebowski Hey, careful man, there's a beverage here!

Hey, there I live in Arlington too!

I don't have experience with Goodwin's but I believe they focus on really high end stuff. Do they carry PSB?

Check out Audio Dave right up the street in Belmont. (and grab some donuts at Ohlin's Bakery while you're there)
    I believe Dave is moving to Newton this month so the store may be in flux. He does carry PSB.

Also check out Q Audio in Cambridge. And Audiolab in Harvard Square. (kind of a weird place though)

Baroque likes this.
  3. brew ziggins

brew ziggins Forum Prisoner

I spent an hour or so in there last summer auditioning speakers. Audio Physic, Magico and Rockport. The sales-guy was really nice, really knew his stuff. I would buy there with confidence.

The speakers sounded great, esp the AP, but they ran from $10-20K and I didn't hear that much of an improvement over my Totem Forests.

They carry top notch gear with top notch prices and, at least the day I wandered in, offer a welcoming environment. If nothing else, it's a great opportunity to do some benchmarking.

Baroque likes this.
  4. Baroque

Belmont, huh? I work in Belmont and had no idea this was here. Need to get out more! I'm definitely going to check in with him. Hope he hasn't moved yet. Thanks for the great info!

5. Baroque

That's great news. Thanks for the report. May check them out this weekend.

6. Baroque

Just as a follow up for those who might be interested - I just spoke to Audio Dave and it appears they'll be in their Belmont location until the end of 2015.

7. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

In Haverhill here. I'll have to take a trip to Belmont

8. Lebowski

Make sure you check what's going on with their move. I'd hate for you to show up and be disappointed. But you could still get donuts. :righton:

Vinyl Addict likes this.
  9. Lebowski

Another update: I called Audio Dave yesterday and all of their merchandise is in limbo. They will be up and running in the new location (Newton) either January or February.

I also made it to Goodwin's yesterday. Wow! What a place! I'm on the hunt for speakers and, while they only had a few things in my (modest) budget, they were super nice and accommodating. They showed me something a little bit out of my price range, and I may demo them at home soon. They were really impressive in the store.

I hit Q Audio too. Did not have a great experience. Pretty much the only choice for speakers is Paradigm, and I was not impressed with them. The owner did not seem to like that. He did have a nice, modest assortment of other stuff though, and he's been around a long time, so he must be doing something right. However, no in-home demo allowed.

Baroque likes this.
  10. Lebowski

Updating again. Been to Audio Dave's new place in Newton a couple of times to borrow speakers. It looks like it's going to be a great place. Much bigger than the Belmont store. Dave is super accommodating and super patient.

@Baroque did you ever get your stuff? What did you get? Did you make it to any of these places?

Baroque likes this.
  11. Baroque

Thanks for updating again Lebowski!
    I had a nice talk with Dave before he moved, so it's good to know he's getting set up. I had good a response from Goodwin's as well. Didn't have a great experience with The Audio Lab.

I've yet to get my PSB imagine minis, but plan on visiting both Audio Dave and Goodwin's soon. I'll report back after my visits. Sound like Dave is going to have nice digs in his new location.

12. 4thChoice

4thChoice Forum Resident

I like the North Attleboro Audio Concepts store & personnel. They have one on Commonwealth Ave. too but I have not been there. I went to an audio store in Belmont 6-8 years ago and enjoyed my stop , think it was Audio Dave but not positive - it was awhile ago, sounds like I should visit his new place.

And wanted to let Lebowski know that I have a 160 lb. St. Bernard named "Lebowski".

Lebowski likes this.
  13. Lebowski

St. Bernard. Awesome.

I think Audio Concepts and Audio Dave are connected. I think Dave may have worked for them at some point. A couple of months ago he gave me a very detailed history of his connection to them. I think it was them. His shop is in Newton now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.