Expert Turntable Setup in Houston, TX

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by timztunz, Aug 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. timztunz

timztunz Audioista Thread Starter

I would like to share with you a wonderful experience I had yesterday. If you live in the Houston area or know anything about high end audio here you know that there is an absolutely mysterious and glaring dearth of brick and mortar businesses in audio, hardly anything approaching even mid-fi, let alone high end gear. How that can be true in the 4th largest city in the US is beyond my comprehension, but so it is. But I digress.

A few months ago, after a tragic cleaning people vs. Dynavector 20X stylus event, I used that as an opportunity to treat my VPI Classic 3 to a new VPI 3D printed tonearm and Miyajima Shilabe cartridge. I did the best I knew how to do with setting up the new rig. I used a Feickert Cartridge Alignment Tool, a digital tracking force gauge and did the best I could. About the only thing I had much confidence in was setting the tracking force. I had "some" confidence in setting the geometry and little confidence by the time I got to Azimuth. I can't say that I had any specific complaints about the sound after I was done, but I had a nagging notion inside my brain that kept wondering if I had done everything right and was getting the best possible results. My system isn't uber high end by any stretch, but I did feel like the investment warranted some special attention.

Having no where else to turn I sought out advice and hopes of a contact through our great little forum here. A very kind, generous and knowledgeable member here (Wardsweb) put me in contact with a gentleman in the area who was willing to come to my house and set up (or verify) the new rig. His name is Ted Tolleson and we did that yesterday. For one thing, I made a new audio friend with similar tastes in music. But for another I have all the confidence in the world now that what I have is producing the best sound that it can be. He might have just been being kind to me but Ted said I was pretty "close" but the geometry was a tad off and the Azimuth needed some adjustment, which he was able to rectify with the use of his Fozgometer. Ted took his time, is very deliberate and organized in his work. It was a joy to watch, and I learned a thing or two!

I'm not going to tell you that I experienced "night and day" differences, but the changes were not subtle either. The music is tighter with a more definitive attack and gentle decay, the sound stage opened up another 20%-25% outside the boundaries of the speakers but more than anything is the increased confidence in knowing this rig is dialed in. So if you live in this area and ever have a need for, or know someone who might have a need for Mr. Tolleson's services please drop me a private message and I will be pleased to share my experience with you and/or put you in contact with Ted.

Enjoy your Sunday, I'm off to see The Wizard, the vinyl wizard that is!

2. Long Live Analog

Long Live Analog Forum Resident

nothing compares to a fine tuned analog rig, congrats buddy!

AcidPunk15 and timztunz like this.
  3. cat9

cat9 Forum Resident

Love these kinds of stories and experiences!!

....and Yes, although in shorter supply it seems - not quite obsolete yet.

Glad you have everything all dialled in - enjoy!!!

Long Live Analog and timztunz like this.
  4. timztunz

Oh, and one other thing. Ted brought an LP with him called "Going Back To Acoustic" by Buddy Guy and Junior Wells. It was recorded in France in 1981 and originally released in France as just "Going Back" on Isabel Records. Ted had a Pure Pleasure reissue from 2005 that has the most amazing sonics on it. If you're a blues fan at all it's a must have.

Long Live Analog and cat9 like this.
  5. Ben Toscano

Ben Toscano Forum Resident

Hey there Tim! I'm also in Houston and dealing with a similar situation (just put together my first turntable/stereo system and could use some fine-tuning advice). Any chance you can put me in touch with Ted? I'm new to the forum and can't seem to figure out how to PM you. Feel free to shoot me one.

Thanks,

Ben

AcidPunk15 and timztunz like this.
  6. Catcher10

Catcher10 I like records, and Prog...duh

Great story and experience....It's amazing how a well setup cartridge can sound, regardless of cost. For me it has been trial and error, lots of reading and yes you need some tools to help you.
    I had that WOW moment with my OC9/MLII on azimuth, though it was good but then checked with an o-scope and after I was done it was truly night and day.

7. timztunz

PM me Ben. I can't seem to send a message to you.

8. Ben Toscano

Ben Toscano Forum Resident

Looks like I need at least 3 posts to be able to use the PM function.

9. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

Review of Miyajima Shilabe plz. :-popcorn:

timztunz likes this.
  10. timztunz

I hate using all of the tired and over used cliches like more detail, better definition, more true to life, hearing things in familiar passages never heard before.........but there you have it. I really like it.

Rolltide likes this.
  11. DSGermany

DSGermany New Member

Hi there, just found this forum and post while searching for cartridge alignment help in Houston. So I joined the forum to get the contact info (nearterm) and to expand my knowledge / solicit opinions for future upgrades. timztunz, I will try to PM you. Thanks!

12. Paulie59

Paulie59 New Member

13. Paulie59

Paulie59 New Member

Hi,i am brand new on this forum and found your thread.I am also trying to find some one to help me set up my vintage Thorens TD166 with a new cartridge and what ever other adjustnents/tweaking it might need.Might this gentleman still be availible.I am in Houston. Thank you!

14. Jimmyjimjim

Jimmyjimjim Member

15. Jimmyjimjim

Jimmyjimjim Member

timztunz....I live in the Houston area (The Woodlands) and was looking for someone to verify my new cartridge set up. I have a Dynavector 20x2 that I just had upgraded and re-built from Soundsmith, I have a VPI classic 1 and macintosh amp and preamp. I used a Feickert Cartridge Alignment tool. Things are sounding really good but I don’t have total confidence in the set up. I don’t really understand or have a way to check Azimuth. I’m not sure if Ted Tolleson is still providing in home service...I can certainly take my deck to him. Its really about the piece of mind that my cart is a perfectly aligned as possible.

timztunz likes this.
  16. timztunz

I’m not sure of or how to get in touch with Ted. But I think you would do ok getting in touch with Nicholas Taylor and/or Mike Huesi at Timbre in Houston. Timbre I’m sure they can take good care of you.

17. Jim in Houston

Jim in Houston The Godfather of Alt-Country & Punk

[​IMG]
    Kim's driving tonight...
    Just played...
    [​IMG]
    Now playing... I detect Fleetwod Mac in my future...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.