FA: Japan 1st Pressing CDs inc. Sabbath, ELP, Genesis, Crimson, Zep, Rush, Rainbow...

Discussion in 'Third Party Sales & Auctions' started by progmog, Jun 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

That seems to be the case.

The interesting part will be finding what, if anything, is different about the 'with cough' version and the 'without cough' version. They've kept the same catalogue number, and there doesn't seem to be much, if any, difference in the matrix numbers.

2. progmog

progmog Senior Member Thread Starter

I'm not talking about a significant mastering difference, I'm talking about a very slight difference in sound resulting from, what I can only assume, is a pressing difference.

3. tone ded freb

tone ded freb Senior Member

Thanks. :righton:

4. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

Wow those 2 Rainbow discs have gotten some serious bids.

Damn Obi's :(

Great sale Owais :righton:

5. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

I have three versions of Physical Graffiti. Here are the results:

* Japanese 55XD issue: Matrix code on disc one is "200-2-1-V2E10". Total time on disc is 39:05. No cough.

* Japan-for-U.S. pressing: Matrix code on disc one is "200-2-1-V2E13". Total time on disc is 39:05. No cough.

* U.S. pressing for Columbia House: Matrix code on disc one is "3 200-2 1 RE1 SRC-04". Total time on disc is 39:16. Has cough.

So, I guess my Japanese pressings are throwaways? I would guess the Columbia House issue was pressed later than the Japanese pressings. I got it new around 1989. It would seem that Columbia House had the cough version going for awhile after it had gone away at retail. Strange.

Let me guess. My Columbia House issue sounds worse than a 55XD issue with the cough. That has to be true, right? ;)

6. PaulT

PaulT Spuzzum

Wow - 139 quid for Lark's Tongues - nice!

7. dbz

dbz Bolinhead.

....not to mention Rainbow's Long Live Rock and Roll :eek:

8. progmog

Of course! That and the fact that the 55XD with cough is ultra-mega-super-duper-insanely rare! ;)

9. pig whisperer

pig whisperer CD Member

Do the A/B and let us know.

10. KeithH

You need to reflect that in your listing. :D

11. KeithH

Keep in mind, my 55XD lacks the cough and the U.S. pressing for Columbia House has it. I was being a bit sarcastic that the 55XD with the cough has to be the Holy Grail. Anyway, I've been comparing "Houses of the Holy" on the two and have not noticed a difference.

So, which version came first? The one with the cough or the one without?

12. progmog

Judging by the matrix numbers, the one without the cough came first.

13. KeithH

Thanks. The thread below makes the same claim:

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=124099

This is yet another reason why I get rid of nothing. Once I got the 55XD and Japan-for-U.S. sets, I wondered why I needed the U.S. Columbia House set. Glad I kept it. :)

14. pig whisperer

pig whisperer CD Member

Barry says he only mastered this title for CD once - the version with the cough - and remembers the cough. I can only guess the cough was removed after it left Barry's hands. It could have been released first, but if the non-cough was pulled (and replace with the cough) why would there be so many of them available? The cough is the true Diament mastering. As he always says, 'if a change is made it is no longer my mastering'.

Just A/B different tracks. ;)

15. KeithH

:D

I did not notice differences on "Houses of the Holy". That's good enough for me at this point.

So, is it safe to say that the second Japanese issue with the 32P2 catalog number is the cough version?

16. rburly

My question is: If the first pressings of the 55XD don't have the cough, how did it 'get back' into the 55XD run?

There doesn't seem to be any way to determine whether a 55XD has the cough or not, i.e. matrix numbers.

It would seem that someone realized that the original 'music' wasn't there and it was 'added' back in.

17. dbz

dbz Bolinhead.

I'm guessing here, but..

The Cd goes on sale and then someone says "Hey, there's no cough". The record company quickly check it out and the pressing plant guy says "D'oh, I thought that was extraneous studio chatter, so I cut it off". The record company order a new run with the original full/complete mastering, same pressing plant etc, and get them in to the shops pronto.

No new catalogue number, same price point and same matrix info ( because they were hoping no one noticed and they might have got away with it, if it hadn't been for those meddling kids on SHtv., who keep digging this stuff up 22 years later!).

18. rburly

Thus begging the question: Are the ones with the 'mistake' now more valuable because 1) They are a mistake, and 2) there are much fewer of them, making them more collectible?

19. pig whisperer

pig whisperer CD Member

I had one before and I think it had the cough. I did have a cough version once and it may have been a U.S. pressing.

Rick, you're obsessing. ;) I think there are fewer without the cough from what I have heard.

You can find the cough by the play time and don't need the matrix. If you are going by the matrix why don't you guys compare the style of matrix instead of the numbers and see if that gets you anywhere. :)

20. dbz

dbz Bolinhead.

:shrug: but the ones without the cough are the true 1st press. Judging by the classifieds on here, everyone wants the cough.

21. rburly

Of course, because that's the original version and the one that I and millions of other people only knew before there was one 'without the cough'. The one without the cough would be much less in number and thus, more collectible.

22. rburly

I am, but isn't that an affliction we all have? ;)

My point, Darcy, is that there hasn't been a way to distinguish the 'cough'/'no cough' versions without looking at the play times. Having a 55XD is desirable, but if someone is in a cd shop there's no way to know by looking at the jewel case if it has the cough or not. My 55XD jewel case and OBI looks just like Owais'. I can post a pic of my discs if anyone wants to compare the discs themselves.

23. dbz

dbz Bolinhead.

I'm not sure we know how many were made sans cough, it was widely known at the time that the cough was MIA..didn't Jimmy Page even mention it when he was doing the Marino remaster? I'm not sure the No cough is more collectible..hence the interest in this one which is a First press AND has the cough..otherwise, it would just be another first press ($120..its already at $190)

24. KeithH

As a collector, I'm glad to have the non-cough versions in my 55XD and Japan-for-U.S. sets since they are the actual first versions and were pulled. If you want the cough version, get any standard U.S. pressing, which is very common. The trick, as I see it, is finding the non-cough version. However, that only matters if you are a collector.

This whole thing reminds of the very rare West German target of John Fogerty Centerfield with "Vanz Kant Danz" (yes, Vanz, not Zanz). When you consider all the target pressings of Centerfield, it is probably the rarest of the lot. The problem is that it's a rare disc with a common song. Everyone wants "Zanz Kant Danz" since it was pulled. You are much more likely to find that West German target than the West German Vanz target.

25. PaulT

PaulT Spuzzum

Yes and Bidder 2 is annoying me how they bid it up 10 quid at a time.... ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.