FA: Japan 1st Pressing CDs inc. Sabbath, ELP, Genesis, Crimson, Zep, Rush, Rainbow...

Discussion in 'Third Party Sales & Auctions' started by progmog, Jun 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dbz

dbz Bolinhead.

Good points Keith, because lets not forget that the West German first press also has the cough missing, perhaps the fault lay with someone at Atlantic Records who sent out the "edited" masters for pressing ( sent out pre-masters edited or whatever they do for a CD).

2. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

That's the point I was trying to make, Darren. As a collector, I'd rather have a rare version than a later common sans mistake version.

3. dbz

dbz Bolinhead.

:) ok Rick, well here's your chance.:thumbsup:

4. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Quite a leap, no?

5. I wonder if a winner is a member here?
    I wish I was his neigbour;)

6. pig whisperer

pig whisperer CD Member

Why? Barry remembers only sending out a version with the cough. The one without the cough is more than likely just his mastering with the cough removed by someone else - he says he didn't do that - which, to me, makes the cough the "true" Diament mastering. You don't agree with this? :)

The 32XD Van Halen "II" added to the auction is very rare.

7. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

You guys might be missing the boat here. I have three early Japanese pressings 55XD (200-2 matrix), another 55XD (55XD matrix) and a 32P2 pressing. All time out at 39:03 on my player and none of them have the cough.

So, the 55XD with the cough might actually be SUPER MEGA RARE

8. rburly

I think you're right. Many of us, or at least those of us that have 55XDs have the one without the cough. It seems they made far less 55XDs with the cough.

9. tone ded freb

tone ded freb Senior Member

That makes no sense and frankly sucks that the 32P2, which should have been pressed after every 55XD was pressed, lacks the cough. I don't get it.

10. pig whisperer

pig whisperer CD Member

Maybe the guys at the record company in Japan decided they didn't like the talking and removed it to keep the flow going. Led Zep should have recorded the ending in different languages. Wouldn't that sound neat? ;)

I have heard 55XD pressings from both the JVC and Sony plants that do not have the cough.

My concern for "PG" is finding the best sounding side 3. I really won't miss disc one of the set if I were to never hear it again.

11. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

I assumed the 32P2 version only existed with the cough. Now everything is thrown out of whack. Since there is a 55XD version with the cough, I bet there is a 32P2 version with the cough as well.

12. rburly

Does anyone here have one?

13. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

If you want the cough, why not just buy the US pressing? I think I got mine a while back for $15.

14. KeithH

drbryant said at the bottom of the previous page that he has the 32P2 version without the cough.

15. KeithH

Agreed. People have become fanatical about the cough version. Do they know that it is common? Finding it without the cough is the trick. That's the rare version, folks.

16. rburly

I've got it. This is about collecting though.

17. rburly

I have the 55XD without the cough. Everyone who has posted with the 55XD say theirs doesn't have the cough. So, finding a 55XD with the cough is the rare one.

18. PaulT

PaulT Spuzzum

Nice sale Owais - 146 GBP. 2 snipes in the last couple of seconds.
    Went higher than I wanted to pay :sigh: :angel:

I've seen that eBay handle before in my bidding - is he a member here?

19. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

If I took my US press with the cough, and put it in a 55XD case, wouldn't it qualify -- It would technically be a 55XP pressing.

:)

20. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

I believe if you look through this thread you will find him.

21. KeithH

I was speaking in general terms, when all pressings are considered. Given how common the U.S. pressings are, any non-cough version is rare. My point is that if you want a cough version, you don't have to look hard and you don't have to spend a lot. If you want a non-cough version, you will have to look longer and harder and pay more.

The 55XD version with the cough may be very, very rare. I, personally, have no desire to own one, especially at the price I would have to pay as a result of discussions like this one. It's a rare pressing of a common form of the album. It's no big deal to me. I have 55XD and Japan-for-U.S. non-cough versions and a U.S. cough copy. So I have both versions, with two rare copies and one common one. That's enough for me.

To each his own. :)

22. rburly

Of course to each his own.

Regarding the 55XD cough/no cough versions. I have one with no cough, very rare as you say, so I'm pleased. I have one with a cough, very rare, so I'm pleased with it as well. I, too, have two rare copies and one common one. That's enough for me also. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.