'factory' scenes music from old cartoons....

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Ere, Apr 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ere

Ere Senior Member Thread Starter

Does anyone know which cartoons used that jaunty tune whenever they showed an assembly line or factory where all the parts were chugging along.... do do do, da dootle la do do, do do do, da dootle la do, etc.? I'm thinking old Looney tunes. I want to get a sound clip of it for a powerpoint presentation :)

2. Xyzzy

Xyzzy New Member

3. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

4. Ere

Yes, that's it! Powerhouse :D Now it's really going to get stuck in my head! Wonderful site, too. Thanks.

P.S. Oh my. Better add this to my list of CDs for next month:
    [​IMG]

5. reechie

reechie Senior Member

6. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

John Kricfalusi is perhaps the person who used Scott's music the most(Ren & Stimpy)in cartoons. Lotsa public domain stuff in there too.

Evan

7. Anthology123

Anthology123 Senior Member

Some of the Looney Tunes factory scenes appear in the one with the Goofy Gophers, when they go to a vegetable packing plant.

8. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

Rush's La Villa used that piece of music too.

9. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

That Restless Nights compilation Reechie linked to is excellent, and well worth getting whether you're into cartoons or not. Of course, if you want to hear the music as it actually sounded in those classic LT shorts, these two titles are must-haves:

The Carl Stalling Project
    The Carl Stalling Project, Vol. 2

10. Ere

I embedded the short .wav of Powerhouse in a slide presentation to our CIO about software service components, linked to a spinning icon of gears. He hasn't seen/heard it yet but the program director just about fell off his chair he was laughing so hard :D

Thanks again!

11. RDK

RDK Active Member

I don't know why, but I'm always thrilled when I hear of somebody who knows about Raymond Scott. Stalling gets the lion's share of the credit - and deservedly - but Scott is right up there as well. And the best part is, he wasn't even trying to make cartoon music.

12. Dave D

Dave D Done!

I thought it was that guy with the German sounding name that wrote all that music on the Looney Tunes cartoons.......what was his name.....someone help me....

13. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Carl Stalling.

14. Dave D

Dave D Done!

Thanks....ok, not so German sounding.....isn't he the guy that wrote Powerhouse?

15. Steve Hoffman

No, he borrowed all of those familiar themes from Raymond Scott with full approval.

16. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

No, Stalling didn't actually compose any of the LT/MM music, per se. What he did, brilliantly, was weave scores together using preexisting tunes, from the popular ("California Here I Come") to the classical ("Fingal's Cave") to the relatively obscure (most of the Raymond Scott stuff).

17. Dave D

Dave D Done!

Thanks guys.
    I can't hear that tune without thinking of the cartoon with Bugs and the construction worker.....too funny!

18. Dave D

Dave D Done!

That is simply brilliant! Thanks!

The Zappa of his time!

19. Steve Hoffman

If you want the best sounding Raymond Scott, get the Beau Hunks Play Raymond Scott CD. Amazing sound!

20. RDK

RDK Active Member

21. Christopher J

Christopher J Norme Con Ironie

I have all three volumes of Soothing Sounds for Baby and I while my daughter loves them now that she's older, I would say their title is a bit misleading. In my experience they're actually very stimulating, not soothing, for newborns. They're basically overlapping patterns of dissonant chimes, beats and noises that function as a kind of aural mobile for the young ear. Perfect for changing table time or the first attempts to crawl, but not necessarily the best sleepytime accompaniment as the title might lead one to believe. And that's how my daughter responded to them; my son has been completely indifferent to this particular music. Of course, every child is different and your mileage may vary.

Also, anyone interested in the Reckless Nights and Turkish Twilights compilation needs to avoid the original 1992 edition like the plague. While both it and the 1998 remaster are taken largely from 78 rpm metal discs, the 1992 disc had been NoNoised into mush. Utterly unlistenable IMO. When WFMU was broadcasting excerpts from the 1998 remaster, it was said that it was made specifically to "right the wrong done" by the previous version(it also utilizes different takes of two tracks) and the difference between the two is readily apparent to even the casual listener. The disc at the Amazon link reechie posted shows a '99 release date, so I assume Amazon isn't offering the inferior original. IIRC, the only immediately noticeable difference in the look of the two versions is the "Newly remastered" legend on the back cover, aside from the copyright date and such.

22. voicebug

voicebug Senior Member

[Also, anyone interested in the Reckless Nights and Turkish Twilights compilation needs to avoid the original 1992 edition like the plague. While both it and the 1998 remaster are taken largely from 78 rpm metal discs, the 1992 disc had been NoNoised into mush. Utterly unlistenable IMO.

Oh no!!! The 1992 edition is the one I have and the one that I play. I had no idea this thing was remastered. I saw it at Best Buy a few months ago and was thinking to myself, 'Wow, is this thing still in print?' Guess I'll be re-buying this one.

23. Jason Brown

Jason Brown Forum Resident

You assume correctly. I got the Legacy remaster there a few months ago.

24. dbryant

dbryant Forum Resident

It was great to see the title of this thread and immediately hear the music in my head! I really enjoyed Don Byron's BUG MUSIC that came out on Nonesuch...copyright 1996? I didn't think it was that long ago...anyway, it's subtitled, "Music of the Raymond Scott Quintette, John Kirby & His Orchestra, and The Duke Ellington Orchestra". An all-star cast of contemporary NY jazzers. Very nice.

25. Steve Hoffman

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.