"Fail Safe" (1964) vs "Dr. Strangelove" (1964)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Ghostworld, Jun 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

A couple of interesting observations about FAIL SAFE:

1) Much of the cast is populated with actors who are generally known for their television work. Frank Overton (12 O'CLOCK HIGH, STAR TREK, TWILIGHT ZONE), Edward Binns (many many shows), Fritz Weaver (TWILIGHT ZONE, NIGHT GALLERY, many others), Larry Hagman (I DREAM OF JEANNIE, DALLAS), Sorrell Booke (many shows including DUKES OF HAZZARD), Dana Elcar (MACGYVER, DARK SHADOWS), Dom Deluise (generally known from stand-up comedy).

2) Several actors known for their comedy are conspicuously dramatic here. Dom Deluise, Walter Matthau, Larry Hagman.

Steve Litos and Ghostworld like this.
  2. jjhunsecker

jjhunsecker Senior Member

I'm surprised Twilight Time hasn't released this on blu-ray, since they have a licensing agreement with Columbia

audiomixer likes this.
  3. Hardy Melville

Hardy Melville Forum Resident

Imo the comparison of these films is an excellent example of how taking a different approach to the same basic story can render a judgment about which is better problematic. Is such judgment about choice of the approach itself or about the relative executions of such choices?

In full disclosure I think Stanley Kubrick is one of the top two or three directors of all time. As good as Lumet was I would not put him that high up. Kubrick was exploring the absurdity of the situation, mixing fear with comedy in a way that has little to compare to. Fail Safe was more a straight presentation, and effectively done.

For me, Strangelove is the more interesting film, but I have no issue with someone who prefers Fail Safe.

4. Jim G.

Jim G. Geezer with a nice stereo!

Last weeks "Madam Secretary", was the "Fail Safe" story once again. I read "Fail Safe ", as a middle school student in the '60s. Always stayed with me. That and "Silent Spring".

5. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member Thread Starter

I love when the final title card comes up: POW!

In stark black and white. Like the title cards in the Citizen Kane. What impact!

FAIL
    SAFE

6. Paul J

Paul J Forum Resident

Love both, Strangelove has the better quotes,

Also consider Seven Days In May.

1964......Yikes!

7. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

Had forgotten to watch that episode, but did so last evening. Very much like FAIL SAFE for the first 20 minutes or so.

8. I prefer Dr. Strangelove. Failsafe is intense and well made, but I find it difficult to watch and enjoy.

9. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

This is an easy one. Fail Safe for the win (or loss?).

10. marka

marka Forum Resident

I have the book - great!

11. vconsumer

vconsumer Unapologetically 70s

Both are great films.

12. Scooterpiety

Scooterpiety Ars Gratia Artis

That's science fiction. It's a disturbing film, but not like Fail Safe. I suppose it seems a bit closer to reality now.

13. somnar

somnar Senior Member

I like Fail Safe a lot - it's a well-crafted piece of drama.

But for me, it's not even close. Strangelove is a multi-faceted work of genius. War film, thriller, the blackest of comedies.

Ahab, progrocker and James RD like this.
  14. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

As a straight-up "Cold War" kid who had practice drills in school during the Cuban missile crisis:
    1) Dr. Strangelove - The best Cold War film, and IMO one of the greatest films of the 20th Century.
    2) Fail Safe - A somewhat overwrought drama that has aged badly and contains some hammy acting.
    The film that I found disturbing back in the day was On The Beach (1959). Need to re-view this Century.

somnar, fr in sc, chili555 and 4 others like this.
  15. slovell

slovell Retired Mudshark

A lot closer IMHO what with all the development being done on AI at present. :hide:

16. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

:agree: Duck and cover..... :)

Lightworker likes this.
  17. theoxrox

theoxrox Forum Resident

Two excellent movies similar to these in subject matter have been mentioned in this thread, and both are excellent. The Bedford Incident was rather chilling when I first saw it 53 years ago after reading the book, and On The Beach made quite an impression on me as a 13-year-old kid when I first saw it in 1959.

And as I said in a previous post a couple of years ago, having vivid memories of the Cuban Missile Crisis adds to the "End-of-the-World Nuclear Confrontation" scenario!

Hardy Melville likes this.
  18. Hardy Melville

Hardy Melville Forum Resident

On the Beach really stuck with me, too. Haven't seen it in years, though. The whole concept was quite frightening.

Lightworker likes this.
  19. Rachael Bee

The fun way to go through the Cuban crisis again is to watch Matinee with John Goodman.

ducksdeluxe, rmath84 and theoxrox like this.
  20. theoxrox

theoxrox Forum Resident

Damn near ANYTHING with John Goodman, even rather grim subject matter, is bound to be enjoyable!

21. jjhunsecker

1964 must have been a really paranoid year

Lightworker and Ghostworld like this.
  22. Ghostworld

No wonder the kids rebelled with drugs and the hippie culture. It must have felt like the end of the world to some. Can you imagine the proto-survivalists back then with their bunkers?

Steve Litos likes this.
  23. jjhunsecker

Remember , this was the year of the infamous anti-Goldwater "Daisy" TV commercial. Crazy times ...

24. Ghostworld

We need more of these.

guy incognito, Old Rusty and KeninDC like this.
  25. Rachael Bee

Matinee is a hilarious comedy set in Key West about a B-movie horror movie directed by Goodman's character. It's world premier is happening at Key West at the same time as the missile crises.

Ahab likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.