Failed 'Replacements'

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Rufus rag, Oct 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rufus rag

Rufus rag Forum Resident Thread Starter

Bands who replaced an original that didn't work out and the band's quality nose dived. I appreciate some of these placement where for unavoidable due to the members passing but they never replaced that person with a significant degree of success they previously had.

Kenny Jones- Keith Moon
    Ray Wilson - Phil Collins
    John Thomas-Tony Bourge (Budgie)
    Vinnie Vincent-Ace Frehley
    Vivian Campell-Steve Clarke
    Eric Martin-Ozzy Osbourne
    Glen Burtnick-Dennis De Young

Hermes, carlwm and reverberationmusic like this.
  2. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

Jill Gibson (Lou Adler's g/f) briefly replaced Michelle Phillips in the Mamas & The Papas. I think she only lasted one gig with them, then the band relented to 'fan demand' and brought Michelle back after she'd been fired by her husband for having it off with Denny.

gotblues and Saint Johnny like this.
  3. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

Many would argue that Vinnie Vincent's brief contribution to Kiss helped the band belatedly adapt to the 80s. I don't think the quality 'nosedived' at all with him on board.

4. Brewmeister

Brewmeister Forum Resident

Mary Ramsey replacing Natalie Merchant. She was ok and might have done better in another band without the baggage of having to follow someone else.
    That their first single with her was a cover didn't help either.

5. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

There's that one guy here who thinks the Who was better with Kenney Jones. :laugh:

6. classicrocker

classicrocker Life is good!

Any singer who tried to replace Jon Anderson in Yes

7. jblock

jblock Senior Member

Can't blame Kenney Jones for anything with The Who. They knew what they were getting, and he's an ace drummer. He did change his style to be a little more busy on Its Hard. I'm a big fan of his time in The Who.

8. walrus

I don't think there was any way that was going to work, no matter who the singer was. I liked that band, but they were rather faceless, and after Merchant had established a solo career that perhaps inadvertently framed her as the identity of 10,000 Maniacs, it was a no-win situation for the band, even before you factor in how much the industry had shifted since Our Time In Eden.

seed_drill likes this.
  9. heathen

heathen Forum Resident

Some would say Metallica was much worse after Cliff died. I happen to like And Justice For All a lot, so I can't quite get on that team, but I dislike everything after Justice.

10. Brian Robertson replacing Fast Eddie Clark in Motorhead wasn't a failure musically IMHO, but he didn't get on with the rest of the band and so only lasted for one album. But that one album, Another Perfect Day, just might be my fave Motorhead album.

11. The real nosediving into '80s metal started after he left.

Hammerpeg and Big Pasi like this.
  12. BrutandCharisma

BrutandCharisma Forum Resident

Van Halen: from David Lee Roth to Sammy to . . . . Gary Cherone.

And Donnie Dacus replacing Terry Kath in Chicago . . . well, Kath was damn-near irreplaceable. Which lead to the rise of Peter Cetera and Chicago going 100% "Housewife Rock".

Comet01, AceFrehleyJr, Vanja and 12 others like this.
  13. DPK

DPK Forum Resident

Nick Sheppard and Vince White replacing Mick Jones in the Clash wasn't exactly a success in my humble opinion.

And Sid Vicious replacing Glen Matlock in the almighty Sex Pistols, perhaps?

R.E.M.'s Bill Berry being replaced by Joey Waronker, Barrett Martin and Bill Rieflin might be another good example, even those three fellows weren't official band members.

Sandinista, D.B., AlienRendel and 3 others like this.
  14. nosliw

nosliw Delivering parcels throughout Teyvat! Meow~!

Some really did not like Derrick Green replacing Max Cavalera in Sepultura.

15. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

The decline in quality had nothing at all to do with Kenney Jones who was, and remains, one of the greatest drummers in rock.

16. classicrocker

classicrocker Life is good!

I am a big fan of the Robbo era Thin Lizzy and Brian's playing in particular, but he was handful, especially when he drank which from what I read was to excess, so not surprised he did not get on with his Motorhead bandmates. Brilliant guitar player though.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2018
    Dudley Morris, tedg65, Hermes and 2 others like this.
  17. bamaaudio

bamaaudio Forum Resident

Sublime with Rome.

Mechanical Man and Meyer like this.
  18. Scooter59

Scooter59 Forum Resident

Howard Leese - Mick Ralphs (Bad Co.)

jwjeffrey likes this.
  19. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

That would be @Baba Oh Really I believe...

Fullbug likes this.
  20. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

Van Halen with Hagar. Yeah, they sold a lot of records but the music sucked! (IMHO of course)

21. BobT

BobT Resident Monkeeman

Donnie "Hot Licks" Dacus- Terry Kath

22. BobT

BobT Resident Monkeeman

Actually, Burtnick replaced Tommy Shaw. Lawrence Gowan replaced Dennis DeYoung in Styx.

23. detroit muscle

detroit muscle MIA

Sid Vicious replacing Glen Matlock. Glen was the best musician in the Sex Pistols and Sid was hopeless

24. Pennywise

Pennywise Forum Resident

When David Bowie replaced Ziggy Stardust. :nyah:

25. walrus

I don't think the records they sold and consistently sold-out arena tours they did (even during the height of grunge) constitutes a 'failure.' Even the 2004 reunion tour with Eddie barely to stand up sold well, so clearly a lot of people liked that era, even if a certain chunk of the population was never going to get over Dave not being there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.