Falling Skies (New TNT Sci-Fi Series)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by neo123, Jun 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fabtrick

fabtrick New Member

Now THAT is funny, seeing how The Bruins made the Canucks look bad recently!

Pretty predictable IMHO. I doubt I will continue to watch.

2. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I hope Terra Nova turns out better.

3. CBC

CBC Forum Resident

Played "catchup" last night via DVR for this. Was pretty disappointed overall, yet another re-tread of other shows, typical stereotyped characters (rebellious teenage son who does stupid stuff, all the women are beautiful, etc) was mostly a yawn fest. Add in the incessant commercial breaks & those LUDICROUS
    self-promos DURING the show....ugh. TNT has had many excellent shows in the past, I think this one will be a clunker, sadly.

The only thing about the show I liked was that Moon Bloodgood is in it.:righton:

4. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

yep, she was great in Terminator Salvation.

5. Chip Z

Chip Z Forum Resident

I was thinking that as I watched the first few minutes last night. Realized I wasn't all that interested and freed up the space on our DVR.

6. Doctorwu

Doctorwu Senior Member

Watched the first 50 minutes, couldn't believe how predictable it was, there was nothing and i mean nothing interesting about the characters, formulaic and boring.
    Also, i am the only one who noticed the terrible editing ?.

7. jukin

jukin Forum Resident

Dreadful. Such one dimensional, cliched characters - any show with feisty kids makes me dive for the Off button. The only character of any interest was Will Patton's and I'd have been cheering if he had decided to waste all the civilians and go rogue. Note to Spielberg, stop trying to do adult drama, you can't.

I am even more p*ssed off because after bailing on it, I am now in the doghouse with my wife as she is annoyed at me for not wanting to watch any more of it.

I hate Mondays.

8. Boy. Let's pass judgment on the entire series from 1 episode why don't we. I'll give it a chance for a little while. I can think of a number of acclaimed series that didn't necessarily seem all that great from one episode that turned out to be very good TV shows. Give it a chance people geez!

9. aswyth

aswyth Forum Resident

Well, Wayne, I've seen the whole thing already and it really only gets worse. Out of total perversity, I watched this week's episode again. I didn't catch some of the absurdities the first time - the many people searching for their kids who all happened to be toting around carrying identically-sized photos (something like 5x7s)! The mysterious "appearance" of the frenemy of the main character . . . is he a rat bastard or a kind of savior? Astonishing that with most of the human race apparently dead that people keep running into familiar adversaries, the newly-zombified kids, and so on.

The sudden (and ridiculous) "redemption" of the first episode's arch baddie in the role of a chef whose fine cuisine gives succour to the people. OMG, this show is even worse the second go-round!

In my recollection, the whole series equates to ten one-hour episodes (I saw it all without commercials, so that's a kind of estimate), and we've seen three, or 30% of the series. I'm with you Wayne, on series that didn't seem all hot at first, yet turned out fine. But this isn't one of them, believe me.

10. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

One of the reviews I read let it slip that there's a huge cliffhanger surprise at the end of the 10-episode run that will shock a lot of viewers. My guess is that it's a big reveal about why the aliens are altering human children. (Total guess -- I have no inside info at all.)

11. I liked the pilot, but boy the commercial to show ratio must be almost 50/50. I watched it on demand and they did not trim commercial content, even fast forward took a couple of minutes per break. I may boycott the show because of TNT's apparent contempt for their viewers.

12. neo123

neo123 Senior Member Thread Starter

Season two starts toinight on TNT with 2 back-to-back 1 hour episodes.

I'll have to record tonight, since it overlaps two of my other programs (one of them ending tonight for the season.)

13. John D.

John D. Senior Member

DVR is the only way to watch this series, zoom thru the BS. :thumbsup:

14. F_C_FRANKLIN

F_C_FRANKLIN Forum Resident

Saw the season opener, it's still about as dopey as it was last year. I'll keep watching.

15. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

I think it's getting better and better, enjoying it.

16. neo123

Me too! This second season is really good!

Season finale on tonight (same time as True Blood and Hell On Wheels.) I have to record two of the shows and watch one (and still fit in some Sunday Night Football pre-season.)

17. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

This show is so all over the map. I laughed out loud at their lame explanations about why there's suddenly a couple hundred fewer extras in the shot. Nobody wants to say, "well, the ratings were bad, so Dreamworks and Spielberg cut our budget!"

It's a really over-the-top, silly show, but Noah Wyle is a sincere actor and works very hard to carry the show. The kids are just awful (most of them Canadians), and the effects have been terrible this season -- I suspect due to more budget cuts. But you know, I stick with the show because it has moments. I credit staff writer Mark Verheiden for that -- he's a bright guy who's a longtime fan himself.

18. shokhead

It entertains me for an hour so it's fine by me.:winkgrin:

19. I felt the second season has been better than the first. It's no more silly than other similar shows that has been on network TV or in theaters and certainly is less silly than films like Battleship.

I've enjoyed it so far. Budget cuts aside, most shows usually end up becoming more expensive due to salaries, etc with time.

I don't think the kid actors are any worse than L.A. based shows.

20. shokhead

Agree. It's taken baby steps but it's going in the right way as far as better. The stories are ok.

21. neo123

New season starts tonight with 2 new episodes on back to back.

22. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Well, there's bad acting, and then there's bad acting. This show has both. Dumb, dumb, dumb series.

23. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Anyone still watching this?

I find it entertaining, it's so all over the map as Marc notes, but at least it's not a one-note show. I like some of the actors (I could watch Saychelle Gabriel all day long, I've liked her since "The Spirit," she's quite charismatic at least for me) and they keep piling on story elements so it's not boring.

24. shokhead

I liked it from the first season to now,

25. chumlie

chumlie Forum Resident

Special effects remind me of a bad Godzilla movie. Better costumes at a neighborhood Holloween shop.

Vidiot likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.