Fame - The budget UK reissue vinyl label from the 80's

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by englishbob, Dec 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. englishbob

englishbob has left the SH Forums...19/05/2023 Thread Starter

For those old enough to remember, this was a cheap reissue label that occupied record racks, mostly in Woolworths.

Being younger and not able to afford many albums, these where a great way to get hold of some great albums at a budget price at the time.

I suppose as a purist you may frown on them, but I bet you'd take the Fame label now over some of the reissue abominations we put up with.

I was sorting out my collection today and came across Japan's "Quiet Life" album, that I have owned from the age of about 12. The Fame version was the only one I could afford and find easily in my local town.

The cover looks close enough the original artwork (as I now own an original press and a Japanese original press), although it was shame putting the "Fame" logo in the top right hand side. Its usually something, even today, when I am at a record fair, I tend to skip and ignore.

I checked the deadwax of "Quiet Life" and made (I think) quite an interesting and enlightening discovery, not even mentioned at Discogs for this release...

Japan - Quiet Life

[​IMG]

If I am not mistaken, that looks like the CB initials of Chris Bellman ?

To the best of my knowledge this album never had a US release, so this is interesting to me. Of course I still think it sounds excellent, as it is how I grew up listening to the album. But as far as I know, Chris Bellman wasn't anywhere near this album on its original release, so this would mean he was involved here just for this Fame issue (maybe cutting his teeth back then, pardon the pun, earning his stripes)

Anyone else prefer Fame versions of their albums? (I understand Queen II is also one to look out for?)

2. culabula

culabula Unread author.

All the Fame LPs that I own are great - among them two by the Beatles and African Herbsman by Marley, probably the best-sounding version of this material that I own on vinyl.

3. thematinggame

thematinggame Forum Resident

I remember Fame reissues ,which here in Germany cost about half of a normally priced album . But you shouldn't forget that at that time (can't really remember when Fame was popular but I'd guess 1978 - 1985 , something like this*) reissues were cheap in general ,unlike today

* it was launched in 1982

Marquess likes this.
  4. sathvyre

sathvyre formerly known as ABBAmaniac

Many times, the FAME reissues were made from old original stampers of first pressings. There were some IRON MAIDEN and SCORPIONS reissues on FAME which sounds fantastic !!

5. TheKevster

TheKevster Forum Resident

Agree - some of the Fames (Kate Bush, Floyd, Kraftwerk, Stranglers) were fabulous in terms of SQ (if not packaging).

6. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

I think I have a T-Rex album or 2 on Fame.
    Will look tonight.

Darryl

7. I think the only Fame vinyl I own is a French reissue of Piper at the Gates of Dawn. From memory it's ok but I prefer the recent mono reissue.

8. mc7t

mc7t Forum Resident

I have "McCartney" (Paul's debut solo album) on the "Fame" label.

Sounds great and has the "yex" matrix (im working atm, so can't check out the full matrix)

Sounds great to me and never felt the urge to upgrade the vinyl version.

Interesting sidenote..."Hot as sun" is listed as "Hot as sin" on the label.

culabula, FJFP, OneStepBeyond and 2 others like this.
  9. YardByrd

YardByrd rock n roll citizen in a hip hop world

My first version of "Piper at the Gates of Dawn" was on said label...

10. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

Fame was EMI's budget label in the 80's.

Their equivalent of RCA International as a comparison.

Neonbeam and tin ears like this.
  11. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll

As far as I remember, these were all GREAT sounding re-issues, sometimes as great as the originals.

Siegmund, hi_watt and Man at C&A like this.
  12. edenofflowers

edenofflowers A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular!

I had a few. The Tubes debut, McCartney, Queen 1, probably some more.

They were great for a little lad with little money and sounded smashing.

There were also some CDs. I've got Iron Maiden's debut and McCartney II on Fame and I think there were several more Macca Fames on CD. Sound great.

13. abzach

abzach Forum Resident

They sound better then most modern vinyl. Ps. They also did CDs (Wings).

Marquess and englishbob like this.
  14. lwh1

lwh1 Forum Resident

I think the original vinyl was cut by Ray Staff (RAYS) at Damont, and the Fame reissue was cut at Strawberry. Somebody out there may know for sure.

englishbob likes this.
  15. englishbob

englishbob has left the SH Forums...19/05/2023 Thread Starter

Not exclusively used for old EMI releases though

16. Gavaxeman

Gavaxeman Take me back to dear old Blighty...

They were great , I was 11ish when they were launched and the racks were full of some goodies, first two queen , maiden , floyd, trouble from whitesnake, purple in rock, some hawkwind , then EMI did their price attack deals which added loads more.. great way to build up a collection in the 80’s, still got quite a few ..Normally they missed out the gate folds but never bothered me too much .
    Noticed they do sell for quite high second hand prices now as they were so well mastered .
    Got a few CDs too !

17. lwh1

lwh1 Forum Resident

I had a Fame pressing of Sparks 'Number One In Heaven' album which had the channels reversed!

Timjosephuk and FJFP like this.
  18. RobNeil

RobNeil Forum Resident

I had Piper on cassette and a vinyl Saucerful on Fame. Also had Queen 2.....none of which I still have. I saw a Fame Saucerful on sale for about 20 quid recently.

Marquess likes this.
  19. AlienRendel

AlienRendel Senior Member

I have the Fame "Piper" and it sounds pretty good.

Strummergas, YardByrd and Gavaxeman like this.
  20. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Me too. However, doesn’t sport the words McCartney in the fount used on the original pressings but a simpler and plain title on the labels.

mc7t likes this.
  21. Gavaxeman

Gavaxeman Take me back to dear old Blighty...

Me too , and saucerful of secrets

AlienRendel likes this.
  22. izgoblin

izgoblin Forum Resident

I bought the first blue vinyl pressing of Tubeway Army's first album on Beggar's Banquet and was disappointed in the mastering. I expected it to be the best sounding copy of that album available. Can't recall now if it was too bright, too boomy or both, but I know I was bummed.

I then bought a cheap Fame pressing to give to a friend and gave that a listen. I ended up keeping it for myself and giving him another copy because the Fame pressing was easily my favorite. That's a fine sounding record.

23. Horse Majeure

Horse Majeure Forum Resident

I have this one with different album cover.
    Judas Priest ‎– Rocka Rolla (UK 1984)
    [​IMG]

hi_watt, izgoblin and Gavaxeman like this.
  24. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway Curated Iconic Half-Speed Picture Disc

I have the Fame Quiet Life and agree it sounds great :)

englishbob likes this.
  25. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

I still have my Pink Floyd - A Saucerful Of Secrets cassette tape on Fame records. I also have used CDs of the Hawkwind albums, X In Search Of Space and Hall Of The Mountain Grill. Nice little budget reissue label.

Gavaxeman likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.