Familiar with BOTH versions of The Animals' We Gotta Got Out Of This Place: which one do you prefer?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ParloFax, Oct 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

I just compared a US MGM 45 and the track on the an original 1966 copy of the UK comp LP The Most Of The Animals.

I don't know about anyone admitting they're wrong as these are just preferences, after all, but I've got to say I prefer the UK version as well. It's far, far cleaner if you're listening on original vinyl.

The US version sounds like a more complete sounding record and I'd probably be going for that if that's what ended up on UK Columbia, but it didn't. So as it stands the audiophile in me prefers the UK original -- Burdon's voice has a lot more presence as do the background vocals, the instruments, everything is far cleaner...that's what I like. Those first cymbal hits sound so clean and crisp on the UK. If I had only heard one or the other, there'd be no problem as it's such an iconic sixties hit.

Having said that, I do think the US version has better vocals and better electric organ phrases than the UK version. If I could get the US on vinyl somewhere sounding as clean as the UK I might switch preferences, but as it stands I have to stick with the UK. If not a better take, it's certainly a far more pleasurable listen IMO.

YMMV.

2. oxenholme

oxenholme Senile member

I do apologise for my obviously lacking education.

Sadly Bradford Grammar School seemed to think that applied mathematics was more important.

3. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

My bet would be original UK. I think the MFP version was a reissue of the 1966 original I have on the UK Columbia label.

Peace N. Love likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.