Family : Fearless 2CD reissue, Snapper.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Alan2, Sep 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alan2

Alan2 Forum Resident Thread Starter

2. Alan2

Bump for Family fans.

3. privit1

privit1 Senior Member

A bit light on bonus content for 2 discs

4. Alan2

Yes, far as I can see it's just the 'In My Own Time' single as a CD, which would be the one I think was included in the very big boxed set. I'm hoping the mastering of the album, sadi to be from original tapes, will be good. I have a copy of the Castle CD, which is okay, but not outstanding.

5. Rodney Toady

Rodney Toady Waste of cyberspace

Brilliant band, brilliant album. Personally I like that bonus tracks are put on a separate disc. It's also good that they've chosen not to add any substandard demos or live tracks.

Rockin' Robby, art and Alan2 like this.
  6. Alan2

Yes, a welcome change. I'm tired of 'bonus' stuff not worthy of the name.

Rockin' Robby likes this.
  7. gabacabriel

gabacabriel Forum Resident

I love Family, but....that's the most underwhelming bonus disc ever :(

8. gabacabriel

Likely this will be a clone of the mastering from the box set.

wayneklein likes this.
  9. ranasakawa

ranasakawa Forum Resident

I have the box set. The sound is superb. The 2nd CD on this re-issue is a laugh, 5 min 50 seconds all up !

10. Rodney Toady

Rodney Toady Waste of cyberspace

Yes, but at least that 5 minutes and 50 seconds is solid quality time through and through - and it surely bears repeated listening.

Alan2 likes this.
  11. gabacabriel

No argument with that - but they could have put the songs at the end of disc 1 and charged a fiver less...

ARK and CBC like this.
  12. Alan2

It's not badly priced @ £10.99 right now. Maybe the idea is to distinguish it from at least 2 other reissues of Fearless which have 'In my own Time' and 'Seasons' included as bonus, in the standard one-disc manner.

13. Sound quality is exceptionally good. I passed on th box so glad to see this reissued but I do agree that the second disc is a bit light. Just throw the two bonus tracks on with a two or one minute gap and be done with it.

14. bhazen

bhazen I Am The Walrus

[bump]

Is there a consensus 'best sounding' CD of Fearless, available on Amazon? The old one I have (Line?) sounds so muffled ...

Last edited: Oct 29, 2015
  15. bhazen

bhazen I Am The Walrus

[bumpkin] Castle/Essential?

Last edited: Oct 29, 2015
  16. bhazen

bhazen I Am The Walrus

[bumptious]

17. bhazen

bhazen I Am The Walrus

[rebump]

18. bhazen

bhazen I Am The Walrus

[Bump redux]

19. bhazen

bhazen I Am The Walrus

[Do the Bump]

20. CBC

CBC Forum Resident

21. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

I'm listening to the crappy old Mystic version right now and you're right, it sounds like there's a blanket over the speakers. Way too much no noise was applied to this mastering. Last night, over at a friend's place, we heard the Madfish version of A Song For Me (another favorite of mine from Family) and it sounded so much better than what I'm used to. I'm definitely going to order the new version of Fearless soon, as well as some of the others. I imagine it'll be a big improvement.

bhazen and CBC like this.
  22. fabrikk

fabrikk Well-Known Member

Anyone have the CD twofer of Fearless with Family Live that was issued by BGO in 2009? I can't recall that the former sounds especially bad, anyone else have thoughts on it? I thought the Live one was kinda special because it seems to be the only Family/Wetton one where John's bass really had his trademark sound a la King Crimson.

Family is a relatively recent discovery for me, what a brilliant and unique band!

23. The Bishop

The Bishop Forum Resident

Fearless, is a magnificent album, and I well remember the tour for this album, when they were supported by America. I have the Mystic Records remaster, and the sound quality is just outstanding. Fearless, is my favourite Family album, and I'm pleased to have In My Own Time as a bonus track.

This is one of the great albums of the era: incredible band.

Gardo likes this.
  24. Joti Cover

Joti Cover Forum Resident

I'm listening to Bandstand (Mystic Label) now....its sounds good to my ears. However, Fearless (Mystic as well) didn't come through so nicely.
    Has Bandstand been significantly improved on subsequent reissues? If so, it would very tempting to purchase again....
    I just tell by the casual listening today thst Fearless could be so much better.
    Anyway, a fabulous band in their day....punchy and vibrant.

25. Joti Cover

Joti Cover Forum Resident

Listening to Fearless again....really sounds quite good EQ'ed a bit....and it is a masterpiece.
    So much better for me in content than Bandstand...they were really feeling it one can tell.
    Marvelous songwriting bringing it all into focus.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.