Family Guy on DVD*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AKA, Apr 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AKA

AKA Senior Member Thread Starter

[​IMG]

For those of you who didn't know, the first and second seasons of "Family Guy" will be released on DVD on April 15, and starting on April 20, Cartoon Network will be rerunning the series as part of its late night "Adult Swim" package.

2. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

Great! Now I need a DVD of The PJs.

How many seasons of FAMILY GUY were there? Or is this complete?

3. AKA

Ron,

There were a total of three seasons. Expect a season three deeveedee by the end of 2003.

4. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

5. AKA

Yeah, I just got mine and the video quality is bloody awful. I can't believe they cut out the bin Laden joke in "Road To Rhode Island" and left out "When You Wish Upon A Wenstein." I'd expect much better from TCF.

6. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

Well, that sucks. In my opinion, this show deserves royal treatment, not to mention the fact that it should still be on the air.

7. floyd

floyd Senior Member

I thought the show was funny too! I just have one question, Why does the father and son each have testicals hanging under there mouths?

8. I just got this shipped to my house. I'm currently in school, so I'll have to wait until the weekend to get it.

I can hardly wait!

9. AKA

TVShowsonDVD.com has a great interview with Seth McFarlane up now. Check it out.

10. AKA

My god, this news is freakin' sweet!

From DVDFile:

Last but not least comes The Family Guy Volume 2 on September 9th. This three-disc set also features 4:3 full screen transfers, English, French and Spanish Dolby 2.0 surround tracks, audio commentaries for the episodes "Mr. Griffin Goes to Washington", "Death Lives," "Mr. Saturday Night", "Ready, Willing and Disabled," "Brian Wallows" and the previously unaired "When You Wish Upon a Weinstein," 15 minutes of animatics, the "Family Guy" pilot pitch and a series overview. Retail is $49.95.

11. Tyler

Tyler Senior Member

Brad,

How's the family guy season one set?

12. AKA

It's great, but I have two gripes:

1.) Not all the recorded commentary tracks are included, and

2.) There's an Osama bin Laden gag cut out of "The Road To Rhode Island," which originally aired way before the attacks of September 11, 2001.

Other than that, though, it's definitely worth your money. Hours of entertainment.

Now I'm off to go pick up "South Park: The Complete Second Season."

13. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

The first set of DVDs is actually seasons one and two. There have been complaints that a joke was edited out for posterity, and that the transfer isn't all it could be, but I'm no videophile. I'm enjoying it tremendously.

Where do I vote for a PJs DVD release?

14. Tyler

Tyler Senior Member

I got mine in the mail on Monday! I haven't watched as I've been watching The Animatrix.

15. AKA

I hope you got yours from Best Buy (or Suncoast), because they included an exclusive disc that features the unedited version of "Cartman Gets An Anal Probe."

16. Tyler

Tyler Senior Member

Nope, I got my copy from http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com

Stuff like that really ticks me off. They should have included it on the first season's boxed set.

17. AKA

Totally. Along with the two "Spirit Of Christmas" shorts.

18. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

The South Park first season was such a hack job, I can't get too excited about set two. I'd appreciate a review if you think it's worth the dough.

Thanks

19. AKA

Whether or not it's worth a purchase really depends on how badly you want the episodes.

What I don't like is that they just "copied" the masters from the various best-of discs, and "pasted" them onto the season-by-seasons, Parker/Stone intros and all. This would be okay if Trey Parker and Matt Stone recorded intros for every best-of DVD, but they stopped doing these about the time they started releasing the later (themed) best-of sets. This makes the Season Two set kind of uneven.

Also annoying is the fact that they didn't bother to create chapter stops for any of the episodes, but Warner is notorious for neglecting to do this for their TV DVD sets.

What's great about the set is that it includes the hour-long UK documentary "Going Down To South Park," which was previously included on the first holiday-themed DVD. They didn't include "Chef-Aid: Behind The Menu," though, which was a fun special that accompanied the "Chef-Aid" episode and CD.

And let's not forget the episodes - they're all great, especially my Season Two favorites, "Gnomes" and "Spookyfish."

20. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

The episodes are definitely great, I just wish they were treated with more respect. Same for the Family Guy. The first Family Guy set looks pretty amazing (despite troubles with earlier season one episodes being jittery), but there are at least three instances that I know about of the episodes being edited (one of which being the Osama bit) and they did commentaries for all the episodes. That's a season two I'll definitely buy, but I'll hold onto my VHS tapes as well. Shouldn't have to.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.