Fan of the Bybee Quantum Purifier? Interesting article concerning room temperature superconductors

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Robin L, Sep 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore Thread Starter

" . . . Of all the strange forms of matter, cuprates — copper-containing metals that exhibit a property called high-temperature superconductivity — may be the strangest. In new research published online June 24 in the Journal of High Energy Physics, physicists at the University of California-Santa Barbara have explored the deeper phenomena that they claim are connected to the perplexing “surface-level” behavior of cuprates. By focusing their calculations on that underlying environment, the researchers derived a formula for the conductivity of cuprates that was previously known only from experiments.

“The amazing thing is you start with this theory and out you get the conductivity of these strange superconductors,” said Sachdev, who was not involved with the work.

The results bolster the evidence that this new way of looking at nature’s building blocks is real and that it is “strikingly literal,” said Jan Zaanen, a theoretical physicist at Leiden University in the Netherlands . . ."

https://www.simonsfoundation.org/qu...anger-deeper-side-to-natures-building-blocks/

2. sublemon

sublemon Forum Resident

Interesting article, however I do not think there are any black holes inside bybee "purifiers"

3. Robin L

I'm pretty sure the "Magic Ingredient" are the Cuprates.

4. sublemon

sublemon Forum Resident

It is pretty interesting but high temperature superconductance in cuprates is still around -135 degrees Celsius (per wikipedia) so I don't think that's happening here...

chervokas likes this.
  5. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I understand if you take a green magic marker and draw lines around this device, it'll make everything sound better, too.

ElizabethH and Brother_Rael like this.
  6. Robin L

This is not a green marker. Bybee purifiers do improve sound quality. I realize that you are a practical person and that you have a lot more exposure to high-end gear and the attendant neuroses than most who post here. I respect your opinions, often agree as regards cabling and other audio tchotchkes. My understanding is that the Bybee purifiers have copper-doped ceramics that have been tenpered at a high temperature for a specific [company proprietary knowledge] time and the process sounds like a variation on the Cuprates described in the article, that's why I passed it on.

Jack Bybee was a physics professor at Stanford. Some Government agency hired him to come up with a device that would reduce the self noise of the batteries used on subs in order to improve resolution of sonar images. The last I heard, some of his Purifier designs are only available to the Government.

In any case, some very interesting weird science from Quanta magazine.

7. jbmcb

jbmcb Forum Resident

He sounds like an interesting guy. Where can I find some of his academic papers on superconductors? He seems to be an authority. I can't find anything on Google Scholar, Microsoft Academic Research, SSRN, or Science Direct - for Jack or John Bybee. I even sicced Copernic at it and it couldn't find anything. He was a professor at Stanford, right?

floweringtoilet likes this.
  8. Robin L

I'm sorry, I see your point, after unsuccessfully looking for papers on the web. I met Mr. Bybee and got two purifiers by virtue of being introduced by John Curl. This would be around 1996. The two worked together on some project in the nineties, but I can give you no further background than that.

9. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

They claim it is highly classified due to military applications. They may be on the "down low" for a reason.

http://bybeetech.com/?page_id=11

Robin L likes this.
  10. sublemon

sublemon Forum Resident

the "purifier" has been discussed at length in other forums. The claims made about it, including being made out of some kind of classified secret material (you wouldn't be able to buy them if it was), are highly dubious.

11. jbmcb

jbmcb Forum Resident

If he was a Stanford professor, he should be published - it's part of the job. Heck, you need to be published to become a professor. It doesn't matter if you are working on top secret projects, the university expects your name in journals.

I've worked (peripherally) on "top secret" projects in universities - the research isn't classified but the applications, and sometimes the results, are. The research is *always* published. It's really strange that nothing shows up in the indexes. My uncle's obscure thermodynamics research from the 60's shows up, as does my coworker's classified research for the navy in the 80's...

His name also doesn't show up in the Stanford physics department faculty list:
    http://www.stanford.edu/dept/physics/history/faculty-hist.html

Curious.

floweringtoilet likes this.
  12. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

If the military is still using it then I am sure they don't want research describing it in detail.

13. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Evidence?

14. sublemon

sublemon Forum Resident

Evidence is what is required by the makers of the device. Evidence of previous discussions is easy to find, just use google.

15. sublemon

sublemon Forum Resident

16. jbmcb

jbmcb Forum Resident

If the research was done in conjunction with a university, then *something* has to be published. As I said earlier, the research into the superconductive properties of cuprates, or whatever he was researching, would be published. The application would be classified. This is how universities work. If the government wanted *everything* classified they would have just hired him - he wouldn't be doing that sort of research at Stanford. That's what happened during the Manhattan Project.

At any rate, working as a professor at a university with no published papers is very, *very* weird.

floweringtoilet and Robin L like this.
  17. Robin L

I suppose you could always contact him via his business site, see what sort of response you get. My assumption is that the project and research he did with physically realizing room-temperature superconductors happened after he retired from Stanford. But I'm guessing. Seems like I opened a can of worms here.

18. floweringtoilet

floweringtoilet Forum Resident

There is no such thing as "room temperature superconductors," unless the room in question is kept at a temperature of around -135 C. I don't know anything about Bybee's products, but if he claims to use a material that has superconducting properties at anything like normal room temperatures, he's a flat out liar.

19. Misery_loves..

Misery_loves.. Forum Resident

The question has been asked before, in other forum places over the years. As far as I recall, no one has been able to substantiate his claimed academic credentials.

20. kippy

kippy Forum Resident

How come all of these geniuses have websites that would make a 10 year old embarrassed? Apparently, all of Bybee's distributors run businesses out of their home garages based upon google maps. Be careful of the web links, some are dead and some link to spyware. No joke.

21. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I have seen John Williams with the LA Philharmonic before, and I'd consider him to be a superconductor.

But in all seriousness: last time I checked, superconductors only work at extraordinarily low temperatures, and nobody has cracked this yet except on a theoretical level. I don't think this is a practical device for consumer audio. I'll believe it when it's on a peg board and sells for $9.95 at Best Buy ($99.95 for the Monster version).

Still, given this is quantum mechanics, I would bet that I can simultaneously believe that it does work, and also that it does not work, at least in a many-worlds interpretation.

Aw, just man up and put on a sweater.

Jim in Houston likes this.
  22. Robin L

Kent Nagano qualifies in my book. :tiphat:

I rather a Multiverse than a one way ride on the second law of thermodynamics. In any case, I understand your skepticism. I guess I'd ask you to try one for yourself, see if you can hear a difference. I've got one, I can hear a difference. As for the rest, Mr. Bybee's past at Stanford must have been swallowed up by Deeparcher: http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2013/10/losing-the-plot/309450/

23. konut

konut Prodigious Member. Thank you.

Bybee filters are not about superconducting. They are about reducing thermal noise.

24. kippy

kippy Forum Resident

Where do you get the idea that Jack Bybee was/is a physics professor at Stanford? As far as I can tell, he has only claimed that he is a "physicist"occasionally. That would be impressive if he was indeed a professor at Stanford. I do not see a Dr. in front of his name. Why are you stating that he is a professor?

25. ElizabethH

ElizabethH Forum Resident

What annoys me about Bybee stuff is the outrageous price for a few dollars in parts.
    When someone wants to make an sudio dodad and charges a few bucks for his time and effort no problem. When some other guy trys to pretend the stuff is quantum un-obtanium and charges an arm and a leg for it... Forget it. Bybee is overpriced by a factor of 1000 to 10,000.
    Yeah they may work, but all you are getting is $2 worth of parts, and a LOT of hot air.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.