Fans of mostly Classic Rock: Do you enjoy R&B?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JohnnyQuest, Nov 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

Yes, I do like a lot of it.

Peter Pyle likes this.
  2. byrdman

byrdman Active Member

Up until the mid 80s, YES and Prince was the last great R&B star. Since the late 80s, NO, except for a handful of good ones like D'angelo, Maxwell, Macy Gray, Lenny Kravitz's R&B side,...

Hey Vinyl Man likes this.
  3. McLover

McLover Senior Member

I liked and continue to like the best of both and always have.

4. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

I like some artists. Marvin Gaye, Otis Redding, Bill Withers, Smokey Robinson, Stevie Wonder, etc.

Atmospheric and JohnnyQuest like this.
  5. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

If the term includes/means Motown, Stax, Psychdelic-Soul, early Rolling Stones and Animals, and white soul acts like Dusty Springfield, then yes I do enjoy it very much.

Stevie Wonder is one of the top American songwriters ever IMO, and I am also a huge fan of Marvin Gaye, George Benson, Ben. E. King, Smokey Robinson, Otis Redding, Sam Cooke, Bill Withers, Luther Vandross, Jackie Wilson, Gladys Knight, Fontella Bass, Mary Wells, Roberta Flack, Nina Simone, Tina Turner, and groups from The Ronnettes, The Supremes, Shalamar, The Jacksons, The Four Tops, The Brothers Johnson and The Delfonics.

Tyler Mills and JohnnyQuest like this.
  6. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

7. Remington Steele

Remington Steele Forum Resident

I consider Prince, Michael and Wonder to be in large part pop and rock and I consider some of my stuff from Lou Rawls, Al Jarreau and Teddy Pendergrass to be part soft rock but I have over 500 albums of what would be considered soul or R & b. Here are a few of what I consider tops in r&b, even if some have been overplayed on the radio through the years.
    1.Aretha
    2.Otis
    3. Rev. Al Green
    4.Luther Vandross
    5.Temptations
    6.Supremes-Diana Ross
    7.Four Tops
    8.Bobby Womack
    9.Staples Singers-Mavis Staples
    10.Impressions-Curtis Mayfield
    11.Roger-Zapp
    12.Mary Wells
    13.Anita Baker
    14.Freddy Jackson
    15.Solomon Burke
    16.Roberta Flack
    17.Righteous Brothers
    18.Brook Benton
    19.Lee Dorsey
    20.Marvin Gaye

8. goodiesguy

goodiesguy Confide In Me

Some real R&B:

9. Peter Pyle

Peter Pyle Forum Resident

Motown and 70s R&B I generally like. This modern R&B, on the other hand, I don't like. That whole Mariah Carey / Whitney Houston staircase sound that has yet to die. :(

EdogawaRampo likes this.
  10. Prophetzong

Prophetzong Forum Resident

Absolutely.

Al Green
    Barry White
    Archie Bell and the Drells
    Marvin Gaye
    The Spinners

Could go on and on. Some very talented musicians and singers in that era of R&B.

11. Licorice pizza

Licorice pizza Livin’ On The Fault Line

You can't have Classic Rock without Rhythm and Blues, or Country.

johnaltman and g.z. like this.
  12. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

The Spinners !

EdogawaRampo likes this.
  13. Prophetzong

Prophetzong Forum Resident

Who doesn't love The Spinners song " It's a Shame" written by Stevie Wonder. The high vocal notes are incredible.

troggy and Comet01 like this.
  14. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

Con Funk Shun

SF Georgie likes this.
  15. brankin172

brankin172 Senior Member

Does James Brown count - love that guy. Also, Stevie Wonder and Marvin Gaye.

16. Licorice pizza

Let's not forget Sam Cooke.

Tyler Mills and Remington Steele like this.
  17. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

My tastes in R&B range from the jump blues sound of Louis Jordan to 60s-70s Motown to Stax, psychedelic soul, some blue-eyed soul (no Michael Bolton for me), 60s-70s Aretha Franklin, to Sam Cooke, James Brown, Barry White, Isley Brothers, etc. In short, if it is the classic rhythm and blues, I like lots of it, if it is most of what's been called R&B in the mainstream since the 1990s or so, not for me. Sharon Jones & The Dap Kings is definitely great soul music though.

18. pig bodine

pig bodine God’s Consolation Prize

I'm not a classic rock fan, but I'm from that generation. I grew up listening to Philly soul. I love r&b through the 70's, and the odd 80's number by the Gap band, Cameo, Bobby Womack, I loved the two D'Angelo albums from 15-20 years ago, but I can't stand that pop r&b Beyoncé/Rhianna stuff from the past 10 years.

19. Remington Steele

Remington Steele Forum Resident

Oh yes I actually regard him a little higher than some in my list but I list him partly as a gospel artist. I tried to have a list artists more or less just in the r & b vein and even then I realize that Green and Ross and some others cross over into some other genres quite a bit at times.

20. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I doubt that you will find a single classic rock fan that grew up in the 60's or 70's who doesn't also like R&B from the era. Top 40 radio covered it all and was dominant, and so people didn't differentiate so much between pop/rock and R&B. The great divide really didn't start until the late 70's.

JoeF., g.z. and jbg like this.
  21. Hey Vinyl Man

Hey Vinyl Man Another bloody Yank down under...

Early R&B, from the late forties to the late fifties, might well be my very favorite genre. I also like most of the Motown and Stax singers, and the odd single here and there up to around 1980. R&B since the eighties, not so much.

troggy and jbg like this.
  22. jbg

jbg Senior Member

Growing up listening to the radio in NYC in the 60s and 70s you heard it all. Atlantic Records, Motown, Stax, Philly.....it was great.

23. jbg

jbg Senior Member

Doo Wop? Some of the first music I heard was my older brother's doo wop records.

Tyler Mills and Hey Vinyl Man like this.
  24. Licorice pizza

The Stones did a great cover of "Good Times". I don't know if Pierce Brosnan has covered him? ; D

25. Hey Vinyl Man

Hey Vinyl Man Another bloody Yank down under...

Yep, that makes up a big chunk of my collection.

Bob J and jbg like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.