Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes Of Grindelwald (11/16/2018)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by neo123, Nov 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. neo123

neo123 Senior Member Thread Starter

This is the title and release date of the next movie in the Fantastic Beasts series.

Jude Law joins the series as young Dumbledore, Eddie Redmayne returns as Newt Scamander and Johnny Depp returns as Grindelwald.

'Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald': Cast, title, and plot to Potter prequel revealed

"Here’s the official summary:

'At the end of the first film, the powerful Dark wizard Gellert Grindelwald (Depp) was captured by MACUSA (Magical Congress of the United States of America), with the help of Newt Scamander (Redmayne). But, making good on his threat, Grindelwald escaped custody and has set about gathering followers, most unsuspecting of his true agenda: to raise pure-blood wizards up to rule over all non-magical beings.

In an effort to thwart Grindelwald’s plans, Albus Dumbledore (Law) enlists his former student Newt Scamander, who agrees to help, unaware of the dangers that lie ahead. Lines are drawn as love and loyalty are tested, even among the truest friends and family, in an increasingly divided wizarding world.'

Directed by David Yates from a screenplay by J.K. Rowling, Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald will apparate into theaters on Nov. 16, 2018."

SandAndGlass likes this.
  2. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

Only for Harry Potter bucks would a movie studio be willing to put out a movie with "Grindelwald" in the title.

SandAndGlass, longdist01 and Solaris like this.
  3. applebonkerz

applebonkerz Senior Member

We'll go see it, but I didn't like the first one at all compared to the Potter series. Hopefully this one will be some sort of improvement.

longdist01 likes this.
  4. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

Looking forward to it. The first one grew on me after repeat viewings. I do like it now.

longdist01 and SandAndGlass like this.
  5. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

I liked the first film, I would put it on par with the last four HP films. Looking forward to this one as well.

SandAndGlass and Al Kuenster like this.
  6. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

Not sure about that title, though. I can't understand why filmmakers put words with negative connotations in a movie title when it can be twisted by critics to describe the movie itself. In this case, "The Crimes of the Filmmakers," or something like that.

7. neo123

8. neo123

New Trailer from Comic-Con:

9. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

This one wasn't even on my radar until very recently. Strange because my family are big HP fans. Glad to see a new movie in the fall season, the time of year when we typically re-watch the original movies.

That said, I wasn't quite sold when I saw FB in the theaters. Picked it up on blu-ray the other day (good price at Best Buy, came with movie money for the new flick) and we revisited it last night. I enjoyed it much more than when I first saw it. The trailers above reveal what looks like a better story to follow. Glad I only have less than a week to wait!

SandAndGlass likes this.
  10. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Doh, this is not good...

The New Harry Potter Movie Is So Bad It Actually Makes the Other Books and Movies Worse

(I did a laughing spittake reading this review, when they characterized Grindenwald as "Johnny Depp with Tilda Swinton’s haircut." :laugh: )

Warners has a lot riding on this film -- I believe it cost more than $200 million. It's expected to make $65 million domestically this weekend, so I think it'll ultimately do OK, but I'm doubtful that it can match the $800M+ that the previous film did.

Box-Office Preview: 'Fantastic Beasts 2' Eyes $65M U.S. Bow for $250M Globally

budwhite likes this.
  11. Parachute Woman

Parachute Woman Forum Resident

I was looking forward to this film. Last Friday, I watched the first film with my husband (who hadn't seen it before) and he disliked it. We had a lengthy discussion in which he illuminated all the things he disliked about it. I had to agree with him on many points. I liked Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them mostly for the characters and the nostalgic feeling I got from it, I suppose. I'm a member of the Harry Potter Generation and I grew up with the series. It wasn't a great film, but I thought it was enjoyable enough.

Everything I've seen in reviews seems to point to this new film leaning into the worst of J.K. Rowling's writing tendencies and her lack of experience with screenwriting versus long form novelization. I'm going to skip it in the theaters and wait for the home release. Unfortunately, I think this series had a lot of promise but it may end up being another failed prequel series.

SandAndGlass and Chris DeVoe like this.
  12. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Man that's funny!

13. applebonkerz

applebonkerz Senior Member

Our whole family went to see this Friday (5 of us), there was maybe 8 or 10 other people in the theater too. What a complete mess. The whole thing seemed like a two and half hour excuse to give CGI studios a bunch of work without spending any time at all to craft a cohesive story in it that made a bit of sense. A full cast of dull and depressing people walked, stood, stared, often with inexplicable things flying all around them for whatever reason. The "story" seemed confoundingly both barren and ridiculously over-complex-convoluted at varying intervals. I would get lulled into long stretches of utter boredom with all these characters that give nothing to care about them, and nothing particular interesting happening with them, to suddenly densely-complex explanations happening so quickly I couldn't follow what had just happened, or what they were even talking about.

For a series trying so hard to cash in on the good will and love of all things Potter, for me anyway they are going about it in probably the worst way possible. I don't care about these characters, they aren't interesting or fun in any way to watch. I've left both of these Fantastic Beast films totally confused what I just saw, what I was supposed to have just seen, and not caring in the least to find out or ever watch the film again. They are off-putting. Totally the opposite of all the Potter films which I happily watch over and over again. Why in the world a film series wasn't built around the origins of the Marauders or something else prequel interesting I don't know. Because "Fantastic" (actually annoying) Beasts sure aren't interesting. Whatever puzzle of a thought the whole Grindelwald angle is I don't even want to see any more in the future if it eventually will be slightly understandable. I already don't care. That's not a good recipe for a successful ongoing series.
    :thumbsdow:thumbsdow:thumbsdow:thumbsdow:thumbsdow

longdist01 and Parachute Woman like this.
  14. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

I was on the fence but went to see it yesterday. I could tell early on it was not for me and I left early and saw something else. I am a big fan of the books and earlier movies but couldn't get into this. Plus I was very surprised how many young kids were in the audience. Like, under 10. It wasn't a matinee either

15. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

I enjoyed it. Definitely an Empire Strikes Back-styled (or intended to be) twist at the very end, so those in the know about the lore are either going to love it or rage at it.

You definitely get a much better sense of just how insanely powerful magic is in these films, more than in the main series.

I must admit more interest in this one mainly because of the inclusion of Hogwarts, or as a more cynical take on the film might put it, "the place people actually care about."

Spoilers below:
    Revealed in trailers:
    • Jacob (the Muggle) is back
    • Nagini, the cursed girl who will eventually be stuck in snake form as one of Voldemort's horcrux(es?) is a new character here but doesn't have much to do
    The only notable death is Zoe Kravitz' character Leta Lestrange.
    The only followup from the Deathly Hallows necklace from the first film is that Grindlewald carries the Elder Wand; presumably eventually taken from him by Dumbledore.

For anyone curious, the lovers' relationship between Dumbledore and Grindlewald is not explicitly spelled out:
    • Dumbledore admits that the two were "closer than brothers"
    • A blood pact is depicted between the two
    • Grindlewald appears in the Mirror of Erised for Dumbledore
    Big miss for those hoping for LGBT+ representation.

The big reveal:
    Grindlewald tells Credence (the Obscurial, or big black mass contained in a dude) that he is in fact a lost Dumbledore brother, Aurelius Dumbledore, and this is "proven" by a phoenix that he's supposedly been caring for having its true nature revealed by Grindelwald. Expecting this to be a blatant lie; would differentiate it from the Star Wars twist of having it be true.

Plus, there are fan theories that the Dumbledore connection is not Credence himself, but the Obscurial being connected to the dead Dumbledore sister, as detailed here: How Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald changes the Harry Potter backstory (other less-interesting spoilers described here as well)

16. Sevoflurane

Sevoflurane Forum Resident

Just sitting down at the IMAX in Bradford for an IMAX 3D showing of this. Will report back later. Enjoyed the first film.

17. digdug67

digdug67 Hockley's Hits Here!

Saw this today, good film but not as good as early-to-mid Potter films, certainly doesn't have the charm of those movies. As mentioned above, one problem is that we are not very invested or care a whole lot about these characters. But it was entertaining during the action scenes (though I did not see it in 3D which might have been better).

18. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Saw it last night in a full theatre, I think more folks took a long nap throughout the film. The action scenes/CGI is well done, script not so much...felt like it plodded along, but the characters are not as engaging of course as the previous books and 7 films!

digdug67 likes this.
  19. Sevoflurane

Enjoyed it; visually stunning in IMAX 3D. Convoluted plot, and I suspect there will be further twists in later films. Decent outing for Johnny Depp.

20. 5th-beatle

5th-beatle Forum Resident

I found it quite interesting. Depp does a good portrayal of the persuasive guy described at the beginning. His collaborators do most of the dirty work for him and he knows which buttons to push to convince each person to follow him.

Quite the opposite of the authority figure who's after him. That guy is questioned by one of his own followers (who correctly points out that his violent methods are in fact persuading people to follow Depp's character), but he stubbornly refuses to listen.

In fact, the speech made by Depp's character in the final act is the best scene in the whole film. The images he shows to his audience are very powerful, and he knows the effect they will have on everyone. The horror on their faces says it all.

21. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Rowling the producer did Rowling the screenwriter no favor; the script should really have been handed off to another writer who had the courage to change things around to make it less jumpy. I just saw it this afternoon, and if I wasn't such a Harry Potter geek, I would have been quite annoyed.

What I did enjoy were little things, like Grindelwald having the Elder Wand that would eventually become Dumbledore's.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2018
  22. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

I think that is why I liked the first film. I really did not care about the central plot, it just was not interesting or relatable.

I liked that it was a period piece and I was comfortable being in the period. I liked all of the characters, particularly the sisters, the baker and the male lead. A lot of the magical creatures were interesting.

23. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

I'm feeling compelled to see this film and whatever other films lead up to the first Harry Potter film, but if this one under performs as it appears that will I hope Rowling pays heed and lets a professional screenwriter write something based upon her story.

jlocke08 and SandAndGlass like this.
  24. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Screenwriting is so different than writing a novel. Even trying to get into it can effect her thought process as a novelist, because her mind will be thinking about the screen adaption. I know that if I was trying to write a screen play, then it would effect my other writing prose.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  25. Sevoflurane

Having recently re read all of the books, which go into some detail regarding one of the families discussed in the film, I have to ask the question....
    Where on earth has she conjured up another Dumbledore brother from, eh? Is this a real brother or just a cheeky bit of deception on Grindelwald's part? Even after Dumbledore's death in the books I don't recall seeing Aurelius Dumbledore mentioned. I'm not reading the bloody books again just to check!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.