Fantastic Hollies LP expiring soon

Discussion in 'Third Party Sales & Auctions' started by peter, Apr 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. peter

peter Senior Member Thread Starter

2. peelmeanemma

peelmeanemma New Member

Yes, it is a strong album on many levels. Certainly put the previous 2 albums to shame - "Sing Dylan" was awful and "Sings Hollies" was very patchy. Great songs on this one and interesting how Tony Hicks became prolific during this era on the songwriting front. Perosnal faves are the title track (epic stuff for The Hollies!), "Too Young To Be Married" and "Survival Of The Fittest" with that man Bobby Elliott in amazing form.

As to why it didn't do very well... lets be honest, the cover is rubbish so that could barely had helped. The main problem was that most in the UK saw The Hollies as a singles band though this album was a determined effort to become more of an album based act. Coming after two patchy albums couldn't had helped either. It wasn't through lack of promotion that it stiffed though because The Hollies appeared on the biggest pop TV show of the time, "Top Of The Pops" in a short lived "album spot" where on prime time TV they performed "Survival" and "Too Young To Be Married". Apparently, legend has it that the performance of "Married" brought tears to quite a few eyes in the studio that night. And of course, the BBC went and wiped the tape of that show...

3. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

I love this LP & own a UK import of it, but I had no idea a color insert came with it! What was on the other side of it (it can't be lyrics, since they were on the back cover)? As far as the cover hurting sales, it stiffed here in the US anyway, with a different title & cover (Moving Finger). I Wanna Shout!!

4. peter

The insert is blank on the other side. Quite a rare piece.

5. AKA-Chuck G

AKA-Chuck G Senior Member

6. peter

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.