Far from the Madding Crowd (2015)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by guy incognito, May 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member Thread Starter

Anyone seen this one yet? I'm curious how it stacks up to the Schlesinger film.

2. townsend

townsend Senior Member

I have no idea how it stacks up to the Schlesinger film. I do know that my wife chose this movie for us to see, and I really enjoyed it. In general, I love period pieces. Along the the same lines, though better (and that is not to slight Madding), see Belle. Terrific film all around. Strong message as well (that isn't moralizing one bit).

3. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

I love Thomas Hardy novels, so Im looking forward to seeing this too. For some reason I could never get into the older version

4. john hp

john hp Forum Resident

I thought it was OK, although I doubt that anyone will remember it in 48 years time. Having said that I don't believe that the Schlesinger film was very well received at the time.

The casting of Matthias Schoenaerts as Mr. Oak in the new film has attracted some criticism, but for me Tom Sturridge was the weak link as Sgt. Troy.

5. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

I'd give it a solid B+, maybe an A-. Haven't seen the earlier version, so perhaps Bathsheba's bad decisions (E.G. 'poor choices') seem a bit too contrived relative to the other version and the novel. Splendid score, almost obtrusive but not quite. The cinematography conveys both the beauty and rugged physical challenges of farming in West England.

6. Torontotom

Torontotom Forum Resident

I really liked it. They left a lot out but it was beautifully shot, great score by Craig Armstrong and all the four leads are excellent.

7. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

I really enjoyed it. Watched the 67 version a couple of days before which is close to 3 hours. Liked that one better than I thought I would but Julie Christie looked like she just stepped off Carnaby St. which didn't work for me.
    This new one feels a bit too short by comparison but Cary Mulligan is wonderful and the film is beautifully shot. It's a really enjoyable time at the movies but not terribly memorable which is just fine. I had a great time watching it.

guy incognito and benjaminhuf like this.
  8. benjaminhuf

benjaminhuf Forum Resident

Good movie! My wife and I really liked it. Solid screenplay, beautiful production design and costumes, beautiful cinematography, great cast, etc. For all who like movies set in the 19th century I recommend it.

chacha likes this.
  9. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

Presumably some of the courtship? Troy and Oaks no sooner said hello then "will you marry me?' I wasn't sure if that was the custom then, or what.

My wife asked me why I didn't move that fast.

Torontotom likes this.
  10. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

I saw it last night, and although I liked it overall I would agree that Tom Sturridge was the weak link. The overwhelming charm that Troy wins both women (and, in theory, any woman he so chose) with is not particularly convincing. I also would have preferred that the ending not have been changed into the modern day "run after her/him" - the novel's ending is more subtle and realistic. I thought Michael Sheen was great - conveying various degrees of agony and creeping insanity in his gestures.

11. johnnyyen

johnnyyen Senior Member

I think the problem with the new film is the cast cannot compete with these four:
    Julie Christie, Terence Stamp, Peter Finch, and Alan Bates.

guy incognito likes this.
  12. chacha

Did you find Julie Christie believable?

13. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member Thread Starter

I always found her something-able.

knob twirler and chacha like this.
  14. johnnyyen

johnnyyen Senior Member

Very much, and more so than Carey Mulligan.

15. chacha

Interesting. I thought the supporting cast was terrific but found Julie way too contemporary in look and manner.

johnnyyen likes this.
  16. johnnyyen

johnnyyen Senior Member

I'm currently half way through the bluray, and haven't noticed. I'll certainly keep your opinion in mind when I watch the rest of the film.

17. townsend

townsend Senior Member

Well, maybe if you had moved that fast, you would have married the girlfriend before her (should there be one), so your wife should be thankful.:)

PhilBorder likes this.
  18. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

IDK if I should point that out to her or not. Might be safer just saying "You're the only woman I would take to see 'Far From The Madding Crowd'" And actually, she is.

townsend likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.