Farewell to OPPO Digital

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by SamS, Apr 2, 2018.

1. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

price?

2. MemoInPR

MemoInPR Señor Memo

LeeS likes this.
  3. RebelWaltz

RebelWaltz Forum Resident

Oppo’s website has a page soliciting email addresses of potential purchasers. I entered mine weeks ago on the site and later received an email from Oppo asking me to confirm my address and interest, which I promptly did. Currently the site says they expect units to be available in August 2018. Sign up if you’re interested and help create some momentum!

tmtomh, lee59 and Shvartze Shabbos like this.
  4. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

The reviews of the Sony UBP-x1000ES on Amazon.com are scaring me away from it. Several reports of Blu Ray discs not playing, or malfunctioning. I'd sworn off Sony years ago. Aside from decent Walkman/Discman portable players, my prior experiences with their receivers, CD players, DVD players, and headphones have all been disappointments.

I guess in an ironic way, a "mid-fi" Sony A/V receiver I bought in the early 90s, foolishly first selling a Denon stereo receiver to fund the Sony receiver purchase, was so horrible that I returned the Sony after a few months, and ended up spending even more money for a Denon receiver. That was my first experience that really demonstrated to me how crappy audio equipment could sound.

So it's taking extraordinary struggle in my brain to convince me that this Sony might be worthwhile. I really only require a universal player with HDMI for my current needs (damn, wish I'd not been so slow making up my mind that I missed out on the Oppo 203!). But reliability is key. My Sony disc players have generally not lasted very long. And I think that flip-down front panel gimmick is stupid (my old Sony DVD player, now relegated to the garage for playing CDs, also has that "feature").

Craig.

The Beave, tmtomh and Bill Mac like this.
  5. Metralla

I am only interested in it for ripping SACDs.

6. I have done so. :tiphat:

7. Reese

Reese Just because some watery tart threw a sword!

If this is all you want, you might consider a far less expensive unit such as the Sony BDP-S590. I bought a used one on eBay for $30 shipped. It has a few quirks to the ripping process, but once you figure out the steps, it's pretty easy. See this for more info.

tmtomh likes this.
  8. lee59

lee59 Member Envy

Couldn't find this. Do you have a link?

9. David P. Hill

David P. Hill Forum Resident

This DV-970HD is a Sony brand and also features HDCD? Found my answer, it's an Oppo.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
    The Beave likes this.
  10. Reese

Reese Just because some watery tart threw a sword!

11. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

tmtomh likes this.
  12. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

There's a brand new Oppo 103 Darbee for U$ 1000 on the local version of Ebay; no kiddin' .

13. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

14. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

15. David P. Hill

16. Google should give you the option to translate the page into English. It’s a really terrible translation, though:

Pioneer prototype to OTOTEN the UHD BD player. "UHD BD era, true of the beginning."

Kentaro Yamazaki
    June 13, 2018 13:15

Onkyo and Pioneer, reference June 16, in will be held at the Tokyo International Forum "OTOTEN AUDIO · VISUAL FESTIVAL 2018" (OTOTEN 2018) on the 17th, the universal disc players that support Ultra HD Blu-ray Pioneer brand exhibition to. Model number "UDP-LX500". Booth glass building G504 (5F).

Universal disc players that support Ultra HD Blu-ray, which is a reference exhibit "UDP-LX500"

UHD BD standard since the formulation of the 2015, has been released as a reference BD player "BDP-LX58", that had continued to study and development of the next generation of players following the "BDP-LX88". The basic design is complete, start the prospects of commercialization, that was able to prototype a prototype to OTOTEN2018.

However, undetermined, such as release date and specifications. That "we are ready to announce soon."

It should be noted that, in the Pioneer brand Web site from April 24, teaser site is open of new products, "dawn (consternation: the sky of dawn)," but had been written, also the site on June 13 update. "Development", "Ultra HD Blu-ray era, true of the beginning." Says, and photos of the "UDP-LX500", such as its player of the history of the past have been introduced.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
    tmtomh likes this.
  17. David P. Hill

Thanks Billy!

Billy Budapest likes this.
  18. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

Yeah, I forgot to mention it translates to gibberish. ;)

Billy Budapest likes this.
  19. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Below is a link to an Oppo 203 for sale over at Audio Circle for $600 shipped. I have no affiliation to this seller just thought I'd pass it along :).

Oppo UDP - 203 Player (PRICE DROP #2)

tmtomh likes this.
  20. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

It’ll be interesting to see the price on the new batch, given the new tariffs they may have to increase the rrp?

21. Metralla

6 weeks to go

22. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

You really think the Sony UBP-x1000ES is going to sound as good as the Oppo 105??
    What???

tmtomh likes this.
  23. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I guess one never knows unless they directly compare the Oppo 105 to the Sony UBP-x1000ES. I've read some posts that state the SQ of the UBP-x1000ES's stereo analog output is very good. The UBP-x1000ES is on sale from Crutchfield for $499. That's a great price for anyone that is looking for a universal player that missed out on the 203 or 205.

Sony ES UBP-X1000ES

weekendtoy and tmtomh like this.
  24. Guildx500

Guildx500 Forum Resident

I was disappointed with the analog outs on the X1000ES. My 10+ year old Rotel is a much better CDP. I found the Sony unlistenable even trying to watch movies and I returned it. I hope that the 105 and 205 are a lot better.

The Beave and tmtomh like this.
  25. It sounds really good. I’ll leave it at that.