Farewell to OPPO Digital

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by SamS, Apr 2, 2018.

1. jeffmackwood

jeffmackwood Forum Resident

1. I resemble that remark; and

2. You have at least partially restored my faith in this forum's members being (somewhat) in tune with the lost (or at least fading) art of sarcasm.

Thank you.

Jeff

The Beave and trd like this.
  2. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

I had an Onkyo TX-NR818 as a pre with some Acoustic Energy AE22 actives for a few years. I used to run that on Direct. Tried Pure Audio but no major differences. Plus it was useful to have the display on for certain things.

3. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

"We don't need experts".

Michael Gove, 2016.

4. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

5. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

6. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

I think he means someone else just put one up for sale, and he's alerting people to the availability of the unit.

The Beave and scobb like this.
  7. The Beave

This is correct. I'm trying to help members here who are looking for a 203 205.
    Beave

tmtomh likes this.
  8. sethICE

sethICE Forum Resident

I now have both a 203 and a 205, delivered in the past few weeks. Haven't had time to set up yet due to dealing with some water damage at home, so they are both still in the boxes. I ordered both a few nanoseconds after receiving the respective emails from Oppo. I did not previously have any Oppo products.

I plan to use the 203 as a replacement for my old DVD player attached to my TV, and the 205 as part of my (completely separate) 2 channel stereo system (haven't yet decided whether to remove my current Arcam CD player). The TV and music systems can't easily be combined due to the layout of my room.

I still need 2 items for the 205 - XLR interconnects, about which I received some advice earlier in this thread, and possibly a small video monitor to use for accessing the menu - though it is good to know about the Media control app - I could also go that route, though I would have to put it on my daughter's iPad, since my iPhone ( and ios version) is too old to add apps to (will be upgrading soon - I know, I know....).

DaveySR and tmtomh like this.
  9. DaveySR

DaveySR Forum Resident

If anyone is using Windows 10 to do the USB DAC firmware upgrade, make sure when you run the Upgrade Tool to Run as Administrator, otherwise you will get error messages.

10. The Beave

Guys, Opinions please.
    As an AUDIO CD PLAYER, Which would be better.
    1) OPPO UDP203 or
    2)Emotiva CD-100?

Thank You!
    Beave

c-eling likes this.
  11. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

Logically, if you don't have any need for video, it seems that the $300 Emotiva could be a better value than the $500-600 Oppo, which would also have to pay for video licenses, video circuitry, etc. You'd need to hook it up to a monitor to configure all the settings optimally for 2-channel CD audio, and you'd need to enable "Pure Direct" mode every listening session to bypass the video circuitry for improved audio quality, etc.

Whether their respective implementations of DAC chips sounds better is a question I'm not sure you can definitively answer for yourself without buying both players and auditioning them in your home system. (Then sell the one you don't prefer.)

Craig.

P.S. - Personally, having heard neither, I'd go for the Emotiva for $300, based on the rationale I described above.

The Beave and c-eling like this.
  12. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

That 100 looks interesting Beave, kinda went under my radar. 3 year warranty.
    Ugh, why can't remotes have direct track ability, always something... :laugh:

13. The Beave

Thank you Craig!
    Beave

14. The Beave

I have the 100, Beautiful deck, built like a tank in the OPPO tradition. Solid, heavy and the slimmed down remote is much nicer then their remote weapons of old. Sounds wonderful also but haven't compared it to the 205.
    But I have a chance to sell it and maybe, if OPPO does another 203, run, and I get lucky and am able to buy it i was curious how the two would compare soundwise.
    Beave

c-eling likes this.
  15. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Thanks Beave!, I'm trying to put together a short list of new players for down the road :cheers:

The Beave likes this.
  16. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Do you have any Oppo players at this time to compare to the CD-100?

17. The Beave

Just the 205 right now, and I don't want to even go there, because I'm focused on getting a 203 for the family room.

Beave

tmtomh likes this.
  18. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Comparing the CD-100 to the 205 would give you a good baseline of the quality of the analog CD playback of the CD-100. If the 205 sounds much better than the CD-100 then the 203 could possibly sound as good if not better than the CD-100. If the CD-100 sounds as good as the 205 for analog CD playback then the 203 would most likely not be an equal for the CD-100.

If you're looking for a universal player that will not be used for critical listening in the family room sell the CD-100 if you get a chance to buy a 203. It seems that you have a top shelf player in the 205. So keeping the CD-100 would be redundant unless you could use it in a different system. I'd guess that the ERC-3 would be the better match for the 205. The CD-100 looks to be a step down than the ERC-3

I had the Emotiva ERC-1 CD awhile back and compared it to my Oppo 83SE. The SQ differences between the two players for analog CD playback were minimal to non existent. So I returned the ERC-1 to Emotiva as it wasn't worth keeping both players. Especially when the 83SE could play any disc I had in my collection.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2018
    ben_wood, ti-triodes, c-eling and 2 others like this.
  19. hobbes4444

hobbes4444 Forum Addict

Assuming still no word on the next round of 205s from Oppo? Checking email regularly.

20. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

They said August.

21. hobbes4444

hobbes4444 Forum Addict

I thought the next batch was end of July...

22. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Well, I guess there is word on the next batch.;) You just gave it. Let's see what happens in the next week.

23. hobbes4444

hobbes4444 Forum Addict

Not my word. There were posts here mentioning larger batches of 205s from Oppo at the end of July and in August.

24. David P. Hill

David P. Hill Forum Resident

25. As these things always are, the 205s are on a boat from Asia. Oppo has no control over the shipping lanes or customs, which can slow things down. That is why Oppo didn't give a firm date for the next batch.