Farewell to OPPO Digital

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by SamS, Apr 2, 2018.

1. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

I use superdisc for my Oppo 80 Matt (DVD) not sure if works for newer models
    Remains free until a firmware update is done.
    Superdisc - Unlock your OPPO Blu-ray player for all DVD regions! | OPPO Digital Australia

2. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

This UK power supply mod is likely more promising as an upgrade - large toroid used and cheaper than the HK models. Oppo UDP-205 Power Supply - Very low noise linear PSU

My reservation is it is close to the audio circuits without additional shielding and of course will invalidate your warranty.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 29, 2018
    The Beave and tmtomh like this.
  3. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

Thanks guys!
    Beave

tmtomh likes this.
  4. Yes, I had a region free board for my BDP-95 (sold to a forum member along with the BDP-95) that was dead simple to install and worked like a charm.

Jerry Horne, tmtomh and jhm like this.
  5. slcaudiophile

slcaudiophile Forum Resident

does anyone know for sure if OPPO is still planning on a final production run of the 205? i signed up to be notified but was curious if anyone has heard anything new?

Matt Richardson and tmtomh like this.
  6. The Beave

No, dead quiet for the time being.
    No word on the 203's either.
    Gonna be a long month!
    Beave

7. Doug_B

Doug_B Time Traveler

This thread will light up like a Christmas tree when Oppo sends the email notifications out to purchase the next batch.

Doug

The Beave, Metralla and tmtomh like this.
  8. jjh1959

jjh1959 Senior Member

9. Yes, additional production runs are still planned, as far as I know.

The Beave, tmtomh and chili555 like this.
  10. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

A better rear pic and more info on the Pio 500. Maybe 7.1 analogs will be included on the upcoming 700/800. The remote looks nice.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Shawn likes this.
  11. scottc1963

scottc1963 Forum Resident

I just wanted to alert anyone who is looking for an Oppo, I have a 103 with low hours for sale in the classifieds here.

Doug_B and tmtomh like this.
  12. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

In addition to lacking multichannel analogue output, it does not appear to have an synchronous USB DAC input either - and for that matter it doesn't seem to have optical or coaxial digital inputs either, unless I'm missing something in the rear panel photo.

If so, then this would appear to be on par with the Oppo 103/203 rather than the 105/205.

Bill Mac likes this.
  13. marka

marka Forum Resident

It doesn’t appear to support DVD-Audio either.

CraigVC, chili555 and tmtomh like this.
  14. Well, at least the Pioneer does appear to include SACD playback.

marka likes this.
  15. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Some UK dealers have ordered an unspecified number of machines and are inviting pre-orders.

16. The Beave

:yikes:
    Beave

17. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

True. The upcoming 800 is supposed to be on par with the 205.

It supports DVD-A.

[​IMG]

18. What does that mean, though? Video quality? Audio quality? Build quality? Features? Will it be Roon Ready? Will it decode MQA? Can you use it as a digital preamplifier? Can you use it as a USB DAC? Can you use it as a DLNA client, renderer, or server? Will it play all the audio and video firmware the 205 supports, including DSD? There’s a lot it will need to do to be “on par”—and it would be great if it could.

ti-triodes, Guss2 and tmtomh like this.
  19. The Beave

Just remember that the NEW PIONEER is not the Pioneer of old.
    Their 'audiophile' turntables are just cheap Chinese hamlin built. Horrible bud quality compared to the Japanese Pioneer era.
    But they LOOK nice eh........
    We'll see but I will predict that when these things are opened up there will be a big difference between their build quality and OPPO's.
    There is a reason why these big boys stayed away from competing with OPPO while OPPO was still in production.......
    They couldn't at OPPO's price point, WITH their quality.
    Beave

RubenH, Pizza, Guss2 and 1 other person like this.
  20. marka

marka Forum Resident

If it does, it’s not listed on the spec sheet.

tmtomh likes this.
  21. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

I wouldn't knock Hanpin (a Taiwanese company with manufacturing centres in Taiwan, Hong Kong and China). They employ around 900 and have a modern manufacturing facility. They'll build what the customer asks to their budget.

Pioneer, now with Onkyo, have put out some good gear. Onkyo have put out some great gear in recent years. I'm unconvinced as yet that the Pioneer will be a disaster.

There's also a reason why the big boys are still a going concern too, incidentally!

tmtomh likes this.
  22. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

True - but in the recent past, other Pioneer players haven't listed DVD-A on the spec sheet either, but still have played them. The 1060 from 2015/16(?) I believe is like this.

Very true - great value, well-built, good sounding. Onkyo seems to have occupied a useful niche in the "affordable audiophile" or "high end of lower end" area (depending on one's perspective). They are to source components and amplification sort of what Andrew Jones' lower-end Pioneer and Elac designs are to speakers.

23. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Not just low end budget, but higher up the scale too. Their 3000 series gear is excellent and their AV amps have been terrific for some time for both movies and music.

Billy Budapest and tmtomh like this.
  24. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

All great questions. As of now it’s just a rumor so who knows if it will even come out. They might wait to see how the 5o0 sells before they commit to a pricier model. Another question- if the 500 is supposedly $1000, what will the rumored 800 be priced at?

tmtomh likes this.
  25. The Beave

$2499.00
    Beave