Farewell to OPPO Digital

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by SamS, Apr 2, 2018.

1. Methodical

Methodical Forum Resident

Where have I been (actually I've been off many forums). I had not heard of this.

Well, I have confidence in my Oppos (83 and 203) until I no longer have confidence. I'm glad I got mine when I did and did not get rid of the 83, just relocated it.

2. aroney

aroney Who really gives a...?

Any idea on when the 205 will be offered again?

I'm on the fence between springing for it or the Technics 1200-GR, but I'm leaning towards the Oppo since my Oppo 80 is a bit long in the tooth, and my original Technics 1200 is still going strong. :D

3. One more time probably September but it’s too late to sign up unless you already have. Unless they find out they have extras if some decide to pass.

4. aroney

aroney Who really gives a...?

I'm all signed up and confirmed my e-mail address too. Thanks!

Mooserfan and Mazzy like this.
  5. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

It sold at certain stores (Richer Sounds) for £1299 inclusive of 20% VAT. That is what I paid.

pdxway likes this.
  6. pdxway

pdxway Forum Resident

I see. So, using today's exchange rate, minus the VAT, the price is about US$1397. I guess their selling price is not really below US price of $1299 even after 100£ discount.

Anyway, I am guessing that the ridiculous low profit told by local shops may be is after deducted some expenses, like shipping and handling?

Last edited: Aug 22, 2018
  7. kenbefound

kenbefound Forum Resident

According to the OPPO link I provided on post 3260, "We are still on track to receive our next shipments in late August and mid-September, and we will begin to notify customers on the Interest List as soon as we have the players in stock."

aroney and tmtomh like this.
  8. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

That was a few months back since when pound has fallen against dollar - so I guess pricing was pretty close. This is not usually the case with UK v US pricing.

9. pdxway

pdxway Forum Resident

Relly not trying to pick on you. But, if pound has fallen since a few months back, it means a few months back pounds worth more against dollars. I looked at one year chart at pound to dollar - Google Search , a few months back like in May 22nd, one pound is about 1.34 US$. It means, a few month back, your purchase price after deducting VAT and discount is likely equals to ~US$1450. So, it is a lot more different than US$1299.

10. MemoInPR

MemoInPR Señor Memo

scobb likes this.
  11. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Not much info about the LX500 in the What HiFi? article. Doesn't mention anything about it being a universal player. About the same list price as the 205.

12. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

scobb, PhantomStranger and Reese like this.
  13. Reese

Reese Just because some watery tart threw a sword!

^ Oh, Google translate, I love you. With key phrases like:
    "The skeleton of the sound is solid"
    "The sound image of Sophie Millman's belly"
    "The vibrato leaving from [her] nose"
    . . . I can hardly wait to experience the "erotic expressiveness" of this unit.

So, a little under $1,700 in Japan. What do you suppose it will cost in the States?

ti-triodes and eddiel like this.
  14. Joel-G

Joel-G Well-Known Member

Have any update emails been given by Oppo about the UDP-205? I signed up for the list within about 10 minutes of it opening and got a confirmation email, but nothing since. I know the website says late August/September, but I just want to make sure I'm not going to miss out.

15. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Oppo is sending emails out to those that registered with links to buy the 205 [​IMG]. Word to the wise don't wait till 8/30 to order [​IMG]. The price is still $1299 plus shipping.

16. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

DO NOT DELAY! Be ready to respond as soon as you get that email. Good luck to you all who are waiting for emails now. Share with us your good fortune as you receive and respond to these emails! :wave:

17. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Excellent advice! But there will be those that will wait and then place an order but all the 205s will be gone :eek:.

Billy Budapest and The Beave like this.
  18. kenbefound

kenbefound Forum Resident

Haven't received notice yet. Anyone?

19. mitchius

mitchius Forum Resident

Lol
    I’m sure we’ll know. This thread will take off again!

The Beave, tmtomh and kenbefound like this.
  20. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

UDP stands for universal disc player.

21. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

How do you know that? I imagine we would see folks posting that they received their email, but as yet - not so.

22. David P. Hill

David P. Hill Forum Resident

Have you received an OPPO email recently saying we can order the 205 now, they have received the 2nd batch now?

23. David P. Hill

David P. Hill Forum Resident

I just checked my email, nothing from OPPO digital yet!

24. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Because I received an email with a link to buy the 205. Yes the 2nd batch has arrived and Oppo will be shipping them as orders are filled. Quite a few members over at AVS received emails with links to order the 205 as well. It's limited to one 205 per person and the cost is the same as earlier at $1299 plus shipping.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2018
    Metralla and tmtomh like this.
  25. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

The company is no more. I see no reason for confidentiality! I don’t care or need to know the answer, I just wonder why you feel you can’t say what you know?

tmtomh likes this.