Farewell to OPPO Digital

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by SamS, Apr 2, 2018.

1. David P. Hill

David P. Hill Forum Resident

Mine was April 19, May 9 - email address confirmation. Order form date: Sept 18. Grbl, you should receive one then!

2. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Or a Yamaha BD-A1060, or the older Marantz UD7007, both of which also have balanced outs.

3. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

Well my 1060 is being delivered tomorrow!! :goodie:
    Consolation prize as OPPO cancelled my order for the 205, which was going to go to my daughter and her fiance as a wedding present, (funny though they haven't reversed the charges on my PayPal yet), but I did have the Marantz 5007 and it was a piece of ****. All sorts of bugs in it and it couldn't even get the timing right on the display when playing a common cd!
    So I hope the flipper who gets my unit will make tons of money off of it. And OPPO can go to bed knowing they did the right thing. :righton:
    Beave

Update, they just refunded me!
    I'll have to go to Accessories 4Less and if they have one, pick up another 1060 for the Daughter.
    Good luck to everyone out there still waiting for the invite!

4. Rigoberto

Rigoberto Forum Resident

How do you manage to get your OPPO order cancelled? Marantz 5007.... stay away from their Made In China junk. I haven't had any problems with the higher end Marantz equipment Made In Japan.

5. grbl

grbl Just Lurking

I did. Ordered it yesterday. Arriving Saturday.

tmtomh, Billy Budapest and Bill like this.
  6. Rigoberto

Rigoberto Forum Resident

So, what's the latest manufactured date so far? July 2018?

7. David P. Hill

David P. Hill Forum Resident

Mine is supposed to be here Friday or Saturday. I really didn't think I was going to purchase one, the way time was ticking down.

Billy Budapest and Bill like this.
  8. Late August, 2018, would be my guess.

9. Neither of those are UHD players, though.

The Beave and tmtomh like this.
  10. Rigoberto

Rigoberto Forum Resident

I'm talking about the stickers on the back of the machines right below where the power cord is inserted.

11. strat95

strat95 Senior Member

Thanks for the heads up grbl, I received the confirmation email on May 9 but may have responded a bit later. Maybe there is a still a chance to get one.

12. Brother_Rael

Sure, but the comment referred to balanced connectivity. And not everyone wants or needs UHD right now.

We're putting it off for a couple of years yet (and assuming the Cambridge is still going, will likely stick with upscaled 4K unless that's something better it there that beats it for our needs).

13. Brother_Rael

Meh. Had the SA70001-KI SACD player for years. Performed flawlessly. Made in China. The UD7007 sucked but that's got nothing to do with country of manufacture.

14. Brother_Rael

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on it. There's another review out there from HiFi World's Paul Rigby which is very positive.

Agree also re: the 5007/7007. Good video and audio but awful UI. Nothing to do with country of manufacture, as someone else suggested (seriously, give that one up guys...), but everything to do with lax QA.

15. I guess my point is that comparing those non-UHD players to the UDP-205 is an “apples to oranges” comparison.

16. Brother_Rael

Yup, and bearing in mind a conversation - for want of a better word - I had the other week on here, I'm told many people buy the 205 for its audio capabilities in particular. Consequently, with that in mind, that drove my comments earlier.

Also, there aren't many multichannel XLR amps. The better AV preamps or AV amps, but the rest are typically two channel.

And I get your point, but if Blu-ray audio is currently the 'pinnacle' of disc based audio, then the Yammy has that covered. File compatibility is decent and gets you, amongst others, up to DSD 5.6MHz. All for about £500. That's not bad.

tmtomh and Billy Budapest like this.
  17. The Beave

It will be interesting to see how the Yami Compares with the OPPO sound wise. For me the XLR's are a good feature, as I only really will use it for audio, and since I don't do surround i didn't require 7.1 analog outs like the 205 has.
    Brother, I got mine for $349 refurbished.
    I'm sure you folks in Europe have to have a site that sells returns like Accessories 4less does here.
    Beave

18. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

I can’t confirm, but someone in another forum reported Cambridge is also shutting down the CXUHD player.

19. Considering it was based on the 203 sans audio board, that is not surprising.

chili555 and tmtomh like this.
  20. uffeolby

uffeolby Senior Member

Funny - while the Oppo players are really scarce in the US, they are still in stock at all main suppliers here in Sweden. Anyone knows the situation in other markets around the world?

For the record, I bought myself a 205 when it was announced that they will stop selling them. I already had a perfect working 83SE Nuforce edition, that now is my backup.

tmtomh likes this.
  21. kenbefound

kenbefound Forum Resident

Interesting....from what I've read on this thread the 205 went OOS almost immediately after the U.S. announcement. Did Oppo make a similar announcement in Sweden?

22. The Beave

So did they just pull out of the U.S.A.?
    Beave

23. Bill

Bill Senior Member

I also just got a 205 to replace my 83se. What are your impressions? Thanks!

24. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

That's a good question. I just checked out oppodigital.co.uk and it doesn't show the same "Farewell" notice that's on the oppodigital.com site. It appears the one big difference between the US and UK operations is that players are not sold direct in the UK as they are in the US. I would assume all Oppo Digital production will stop or has stopped so eventually the dealers in the UK and Europe will no longer have inventory.

hhttp://www.oppodigital.co.uk/index.html

Last edited: Sep 21, 2018
  25. mongo

mongo Senior Member

You didn't ask me but I can tell you the 205 is far better piece of gear in every way v. the 83SE.

Hymie the Robot and Bill like this.