Farewell to OPPO Digital

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by SamS, Apr 2, 2018.

1. mongo

mongo Senior Member

What's really pointless are any posts regarding Oppo and anything related to their business, their closing, how they handled orders or anything else.
    It's Done, Over, Fin, Fait Accompli.
    Speculating about this, that or the other.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 29, 2018
  2. Bill

Bill Senior Member

Sorry that many who wanted a 205 apparently got closed out.

3. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Are you kidding me - that's what we do.

4. Bill

Bill Senior Member

Yes. We need to get back to the serious business of debating what should have been on the next Beatles album, had they stayed together!

5. Posted here earlier : you really need to buy asap after you get the offer. There May be more upcoming offers to others in line but if you snooze you lose.

IGD Positive and Brother_Rael like this.
  6. Seattle ? Really ? I think a bit south. :tiphat:

7. David P. Hill

David P. Hill Forum Resident

To me, the last batch of 205's was the smallest shipment of the 3 batches. Went rather quickly! Just a guess, it only seem like 7 or 8 members here received the "order emails" along with their 205's, not counting the non-orders which were cancelled or rejected. It was almost 2 weeks passing, until the end, today!

JeffreyB likes this.
  8. JeffreyB

JeffreyB Senior Member

I think you are right. I must have been close to the last email they sent out. I did receive an oddly worded email from Oppo, when I asked to confirm that they were really out. Here it is:

Jeffrey,

We will have to get an updated count from our Inventory Department to see if we have any more units available for sale. At the moment, they are all sold out.

Best Regards,

Customer Service
    OPPO Digital, Inc.
    162 Constitution Dr.
    Menlo Park, CA 94025
    [email protected]

9. It will be interesting to see where the secondary market goes for the 205s. Prices had cooled off a bit over the past month with news of the last shipment, but there is clearly some demand left in the marketplace. New units still go well over $2000.

Having snagged one of the last 205s, I haven't decided if I will put my 203 up for sale.

10. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

Speaking of the Beatles, you can still get the sde and the 4 lp vinyl set for $192 at Amazon France wkgh the 10% off code, a killer deal that will be played on my OPPO 205 When it arrives! SEE, NOTHING is Beatle proof, even OPPO.

Speaking of which, I consoled myself by picking up a BDP 105 that a member put up here for sale last Wednesday, i believe i am now set! And many thanks to that member for a good sale.
    Beave

Last edited: Sep 29, 2018
    Brother_Rael, JeffreyB and Bill like this.
  11. The Beave

Your right, the sleepy city of Auburn, where it is now 55 degrees out on the porch.
    Morning all!
    Beave

Mazzy likes this.
  12. The Beave

Well preowned are going for around $800 while new are around the $1250 mark. But only one new one went for that in the last week. I would keep it personally, its a nice deck!
    Beave

PhantomStranger likes this.
  13. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Having no units in stock, doesn't mean they are not getting more. I took this off the Oppo interest page today. The statement I'm referring to is: the page will be updated when they have sold out. So, there may still be hope. They sure won't have any stock taking up space at their facility, the way this is going.

August 27, 2018 We have begun sending out e-mails inviting registered customers to purchase am OPPO UDP-205. As we have already begun winding down our business, we have limited fulfillment capacity. E-mails are being sent out in daily batches to throttle the amount of orders to fulfill. This page will be updated when we have sold out of the OPPO UDP-205.

Doug_B likes this.
  14. Can you link that page here?

15. The Beave

here you go.....
    oppo udp-203 | eBay

Beave

16. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Billy Budapest likes this.
  17. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

It'll be interesting to see when Oppo updates the 205 Interest page to indicate the 205 is sold out.

Doug_B, Billy Budapest and The Beave like this.
  18. Bill Mac and Tullman like this.
  19. nightenrock

nightenrock Forum Resident

Phew. Feeling relieved that I got shut out on the 205. I probably would’ve bought one if I got the email.

I had a 205 and 105 in my house when the 205 first came out. To me the 205 beat the 105. However using the 105 as a transport through the DAC on my McIntosh C47 preamp it was a draw or splitting hairs. So this would’ve been purely for the convenience of playing SACDs and DVD-As through the 205 as opposed to the ripped files (yes, to me playing the discs is more convenient and enjoyable).

I returned the 205, but signed up when I heard they were going out of business.

Isaac McHelicopter and tmtomh like this.
  20. aroney

aroney Who really gives a...?

PhantomStranger, Doug_B and tmtomh like this.
  21. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Official it is

22. Audiowannabee

Audiowannabee Forum Resident

And i guess ill never own an oppo 205....glad i got the 203 when i did...most expensive component ive ever purchased but happy i took the plunge although my wallet is certainly hurting as i strive to get to audio nirvana

I fear ive develop ed that severe case of upgradeus which no one ever returns from . :yikes: :help:

Ps im so glad i ran into you guys here...happily spending my $$$ on music

Last edited: Oct 1, 2018
    jhm, Billy Budapest and tmtomh like this.
  23. John D.

John D. Senior Member

R.I.P. OPPO U.S.A. :(

tmtomh likes this.
  24. Actually, it will be RIP Oppo Digital, but not quite yet. There is still stock of the Sonica speaker for sale in their web store:

OPPO Digital Products

25. Stromung

Stromung Well-Known Member

Can we move on,

Metralla, dcottrell6 and Brother_Rael like this.