Farewell to OPPO Digital

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by SamS, Apr 2, 2018.

1. No

tmtomh and chili555 like this.
  2. Twinsfan007

Twinsfan007 Forum Resident

Bummer :/ I'm surprised some company hasn't tried to buy that portion of OPPO and hire their engineers to make some clones.

3. matt0505

matt0505 Forum Resident

Surprised that other companies don't see the value in selling ~$1,000 Blu-Ray players in today's market?

.............why.

4. Twinsfan007

Twinsfan007 Forum Resident

OPPO are/were the Tesla of blu-ray players. Not all of them were $1,000. To me they were the best of both world, awesome home theater player and also could handle your audio needs no matter what format you enjoyed and did it really well.

ben_wood, trickness and jjhunsecker like this.
  5. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

I do hope that the headphone technology that Oppo developed gets purchased and passed on to another company that will use it and develop it further. It's good proprietary tech involving the planar magnetic driver. They're good headphones, but do have room for improvement. I'd like to see their headphone tech and design evolve and live on. Probably wishful thinking.

bru87tr and tmtomh like this.
  6. The designer, Igor Levitsky, isn’t going to disappear! He is the planar magnetic guru and in addition to designing the Oppo headphones, he earlier designed planar magnetic loudspeakers for BG Radia.

Cliff and tmtomh like this.
  7. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Because there is a market for $5000+ blu ray or $100 players. Not much in between.

The Beave likes this.
  8. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I don't think I've ever seen a Blu-ray player that lists for $5000.

9. Classicrock

I think Macintosh do one. I'm sure there are others (usually universal players that don't do all formats like the Oppo). The blu ray only are more often el cheapo boxes for the budget AV mkt.

10. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Marantz UD9004 Blu-ray/SACD player. No longer available, but listed for $6000.

[​IMG]

PhilBiker likes this.
  11. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

The McIntosh MVP901 is a universal player and the Marantz UD-9004 is a SACD/Bluray player. My earlier post was inquiring about $5000 Blu-ray players that were not universal or SACD players.

12. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

That's exactly how I interpreted your post. And I agree.

13. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

There aren't any solely Blu-ray only players either, I believe. At any price.

14. Classicrock

Should have been more specific. This forum is more interested in Blu Ray that also does top audio.

15. Guss2

Guss2 Senior Member

scobb likes this.
  16. Big news today for Oppo owners. It's been confirmed they plan to update the 203s and 205s for HDR10+, which is somewhat of a shock despite circulating rumors hinting at this possibility.

This also makes any remaining stock more valuable.

17. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

I'm not into the Oppos for video, but this indeed big news - I remember back in April when they announced the shutdown, the thinking was that while Dolby Vision was a slam-dunk for a firmware update, HDR10+ was 50-50 at best. IMHO this is another example of Oppo's dedication - after all, there's nothing in it for them anymore; this seems to be just down to the desire of the remaining coders/engineers to keep supporting the products.

18. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

Do you know if MQA functions perfectly? I don't have anything to test my 205 at the moment but I remember reading about some problem the 205 exhibited.

Great news about HDR, more inspiration to get a very large 4k TV, although I am trying to wait one more year....

19. Could you post a link to this info? Thanks!

Tullman likes this.
  20. SamS

SamS Forum Legend Thread Starter

21. aroney

aroney Who really gives a...?

From OPPO's Twitter (which makes it sound like a possibility, not a guarantee):

@OPPODigital is pleased to announce that we are now a current adopter of the HDR10+ license and technology. To show our continued support for our valued users, we will be exploring the ability to add support to our line of UDP #4K players in a forthcoming firmware update.

BGLeduc likes this.
  22. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

^^^Strange, this doesn't look like a company that is getting out of the disc playback business.

Sterling1 likes this.
  23. SamS

SamS Forum Legend Thread Starter

They already did.

Billy Budapest and tmtomh like this.
  24. Actually, it hasn’t been confirmed that an HDR10+ update is coming out. It’s been rumored.

25. Classicrock

The fact they appear to have invested in licences does suggest Oppo Digital may be in mothballs rather than closed for good. Why invest for no return just out of good will? This is certainly unique and contrary to the behaviour of both large and small manufacturers.