Farewell to OPPO Digital

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by SamS, Apr 2, 2018.

1. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

I am shocked at this news, and it's very sad. I can see from some of the comments here why Oppo might be shutting down. But I thought they were having success with the Sonica DAC and maybe their other associated products.

I love my BDP-105, and I would pick up another one as a backup, but as folks know they are going for premium money on the used market. A 205 would be great too (despite the lack of HDCD and SACD-ripping support), but $1299 is a lot of coin to spend with no advance notice, and on a backup machine. Perhaps Sam is right and they'll be available for a few more months.

Still, though, very sad - one of the great electronics brands of the 21st century.

j7n, chacha, mikeyt and 1 other person like this.
  2. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

5 1/2 years ago, after being convinced by my son that it was a common sense move to buy a 103, considering the size of my collection, not to mention the high-quality of said discs, I got myself on the "wait list."
    Since receiving it, it has been in use every day, for several hours per day.
    Whether watching a DVD, or Blu-ray, or listening to an SACD, or CD, or DVD-A, or one of two USB sticks, it's a part of my daily life. I can only pray it continues to stay as is, as affording a "back up" player is impossible financially, as I'm trying to buy a house for the 103 to move into.
    Shocked.

3. billnunan

billnunan Forum Resident

Was this press release issued on April 1st? Just wonderin'. :whistle:

Isn't China a day off from the US?

4. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I have no fear of buying the 205 if that's what I decide on. I'm a long time buyer of Oppo products and trust they will be around for awhile to do warranty and out of warranty repairs. If per chance they are not then it'll be like if I bought a new Sony player as their service is close to non existent especially on players a few years old. I speak from experience with Sony CD and DVD players and their horrible customer service.
    I spoke with someone at Oppo a few hours ago and it's for real. Indicated that players will be available through the summer with more shipments coming in.

5. sennj

sennj I'm slower than I look...

Kinda weird timing as I was thinking all weekend on pulling the trigger on a 203 to play my SACDs.

Also, Crutchfield and Audio Advisor both seem to have raised the price of these from $549 to $559 in the last few hours. I could swear it...

6. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

tmtomh likes this.
  7. rednedtugent

rednedtugent Forum Resident

Oppo is getting out while the getting is ...
    ...well they are getting out.

Rolltide likes this.
  8. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Crutchfield and Audio Advisor have always charged a bit more for Oppo players. I bought a 205 from Crutchfield awhile back and they price matched Oppo's price. I eventually returned the 205 but they were a great place to deal with. Excellent customer service from Crutchfield :).

Gardo, HiFi Guy, tmtomh and 2 others like this.
  9. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

I suppose this is also a potential bummer for PS Audio and others using the Oppo drives.

10. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I'm definitely holding onto my 103 and 105D. Maybe sell them in a few years to fund my retirement :winkgrin:.

Cliff and tmtomh like this.
  11. boboquisp

boboquisp Magic Prism Eyes

I'm holding on to my 103 and hoping it lasts until my retirement is over! ;)

ben_wood, LarryP, Kyhl and 3 others like this.
  12. acdc7369

acdc7369 Forum Resident

I'm probably going to lose sleep over this tonight. Hopefully the UDP-203 was engineered to last for decades.

13. HankM

HankM Senior Member

I’m wondering how much re-sale value my 203 will have tomorrow morning EST!

Serious though, this sucks.

14. My guess is that the OEM that Oppo Digital uses (Oppo Digital is an AMERICAN company, by the way, headquartered in Silicon Valley) is not going to stop production of these parts.

Pinknik likes this.
  15. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

I’ve never seen a DVD look better than it does on my 83. Curious if anyone know if the new ones look as good or better ?

16. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

I don’t have any skin in this game, but I’m sad to read this. Most folk, like my girlfriend just don’t appreciate the picture and sound quality of Blu-ray. I’ll give her credit for appreciating I Tonya last week.

17. Cliff

Cliff Magic Carpet Man

Maybe someone will buy em up. Better that than to see them sink. But it's a real bummer either way :(

18. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

Not to burst our little protective SHF Bubble, but virtually no one outside of here cares about SACD or DVD-A. Or "serious listening" for that matter. Ear buds and TV apps for the Trendmongers.

Yeah, right. You'll be high-bidding against a buncha other goobers who previously put off getting an Oppo.

Just add this to The Giant Pile Of Bad News, I guess. The Sad Little Pile Of Good News is so wimpy.

As I'm in my "4th quarter" I think I can sit tight with my recently-serviced 103. I didn't see any of this coming, but I did coincidentally rip all my hi-res discs, that'll help.

Maybe.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2018
    Old Audiophool likes this.
  19. glide

glide Forum Resident

People will pay what they want to pay but personally I wouldn’t go near a $1000+ piece of equipment, made in China, who is in the process of folding up shop, with a 100 foot pole.

20. tribby2001

tribby2001 Forum Resident

This is simply terrible news.

Joe Spivey likes this.
  21. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

My favorite Video brand of all time, on my 3rd player now. Very sad to hear they are bowing out of the business.

ben_wood likes this.
  22. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

As an owner of four players, I'm sad to see this news.

In retrospect you could see the writing on the wall once they got into streamers, headphones and headphone amps. With players they had a huge advantage in terms of price-to-quality ratio, but in the other categories I suppose they were one manufacturer out of many at similar price points.

23. T'mershi Duween

T'mershi Duween Forum Resident

So where do us who love music in surround sound suppose to go?

Software?

This is kind of a bummer.

24. rbp

rbp Forum Resident

Get em while you can - great universal disc players.

The Beave likes this.
  25. fluffskul

fluffskul Would rather be at a concert

****. I'm at a -103 still. Fully expected to upgrade at some point... didn't think fate would force its hand so soon? What went wrong?