Farewell to OPPO Digital

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by SamS, Apr 2, 2018.

1. rbp

rbp Forum Resident

The Chinese make high end products as well as anybody in the world.

2. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

That's cool, to each his own. I understand anyone's concern about buying an Oppo player as the company will not be manufacturing any future models. But what difference does it make if Oppo players are made in China? It certainly hasn't proven to be a cause for reliability issues with Oppo players past and present. Where do you think most of the other big manufacturers players are being made?

Methodical, Bananas&blow and -=Rudy=- like this.
  3. UncleHalsey

UncleHalsey Forum Resident

I have a 83 SE and it is rock solid. Hope OPPO can adapt and be a leader in the brave new world of ethereal streaming. I'll stick with them, FWIW.

Bill Mac likes this.
  4. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

Remember Proton? They had the enthusiast market sewed up, too, or shared it with Sony . . .

The Beave, HiFi Guy and sunspot42 like this.
  5. I sold my old Oppo BDP-93 a week ago for a fair price keeping in mind that I've been using a top video performing player (audio is a different matter...) for almost 8 years and with the sale of the player I only paid 250 €. I paid 500 € for it (got it from a US seller on Ebay) and sold it almost 8 years later for 250 €. It's been a great performer and in the end, a great bargain.

Old Audiophool likes this.
  6. glide

glide Forum Resident

Correction - they made a high end product.

Now they don’t make anything.

7. Dok

Dok Senior Member

A little over a year ago or so I bought a 105 and had it modded. The 83SE I had bought in '09, which I had modded on top of the Nuforce mod, I lent to a friend. He started having trouble with it. First the transport had to be fixed, a belt was all I believe. Of course the 83's were notorious for problems with them which Oppo switched out to a better performer on the 90 series. Then it just quit working all together. I took it to a local repair shop. He discovered it was the power supply that had given up the ghost. First he emailed Oppo asking for a replacement and then decided to call them. They said, oh no, everything is propriety and I would have to ship it to them to fix. Well, I had already been told that if it was modded by someone else they wouldn't repair it. The local repairman called me with the bad news. The next day he called back. He had gotten a response to the initial email and they said no problem, we will send you a power supply! So far, so good, it's presented no other problems.... but, how long will the current power supplies last?? 7, 8, 9 years if you're lucky?

8. fluffskul

fluffskul Would rather be at a concert

The technical support and honoring the warranty is going to stop the day the last UK-205 is sold. As others have said its impossible to provide this with no new revenue. And the idea that they will somehow find a niche in an already crowded streaming market is optimistic, but not realistic.

But, I'm still tempted to buy one. On one hand, a universal disc player this good is likely to never be created again. But if there is a software glitch or it gets hit by a virus and the company is folded what do you do? Can you even perform a factory re-set and then upgrade to the latest (in this cast last) firmware if the company has gone under? An assurance that the last firmware update will be provided on a USB would make me feel a bit more comfortable about buying a UDP-205.

9. fluffskul

fluffskul Would rather be at a concert

judging by ur equipment profile ur uber rich and can afford american-made everything.

go ahead and pat yourself on the back.

For the rest of us, there are capable products made in China including Oppo.

Stop threadcrapping.

10. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

they need to tell their fans why this is happening...

Ed Hughes likes this.
  11. Vinny123

Vinny123 Forum Resident

So what’s a good alternative?

Sigma6 likes this.
  12. glide

glide Forum Resident

Wow. I don’t think my financial status or the equipment I own has anything to do with not buying products from a company that’s going out of business.

Nor is it thread crapping.

I also own several Oppo products. So what was your point again?

Methodical, HiFi Guy and showtaper like this.
  13. Edgard Varese

Edgard Varese Royale with Cheese

Maybe something like this:

CXU

The Beave and Quincy like this.
  14. SamS

SamS Forum Legend Thread Starter

So anyways...

I understand there's a few more players en route to the US, so if you really have been holding out - buy now or wait for the final batch. Then that's all, folks.

Warranty and repairs still honored, per the FAQ.

Billy Budapest likes this.
  15. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

It will be interesting to see both how quickly existing stocks sell out and what the used prices will be like. My guesses are quickly, and higher. We'll see.

16. jeffmackwood

jeffmackwood Forum Resident

Sony UBP-X800

17. SamS

SamS Forum Legend Thread Starter

Yep, forgot about that one thanks. Unfortunately no analog out for those that aren't using HDMI.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2018
  18. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

I just got one of those through classifieds. Very nice player but no longer being made. The 4K player has replaced it.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2018
  19. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

I've never owned any of their players, as I have no need/interest in anything above DVD for video. And for audio, a good dedicated CD player/transport is my preference. However, it is always a pity to see yet another high-quality manufacturer close up shop. Too many of those happening. Just last year - Classe and Thiel, before that Phoenix, just those I can remember, and now OPPO. We're slowly turning into dinosaurs, guys...:cry:

20. The Sony UDP-x1000 sounds really great.

21. bajaed

bajaed Forum Resident

Loo is like a great alternative. Anyone here tried it?

22. Sony UDP-x1000 has a really great sounding analog stereo audio output. No multichannel analog outputs, though.

I’ve been talking to Dan Wright about offering mods for the UDP-x1000. I’ll follow up with him again.

NOS300B likes this.
  23. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Yup. I've noticed prices creeping up on stuff on Amazon and at BestBuy, and fewer (and less dramatic) sales. If you were thinking about pulling the trigger on any fairly expensive TV or bit of audio equipment like a receiver made in Asia, now would probably be a good time.

The Beave likes this.
  24. Edgard Varese

Edgard Varese Royale with Cheese

No analog output there either. :(

25. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Quite a shocking development. If Oppo believe that they can no longer be successful in manufacturing and selling disc playback systems, there is no hope for others. Oppo seemed to be unstoppable, with thousands of fans worldwide. Pretty scary stuff.

RubenH, Dave, The Beave and 3 others like this.