Farewell to OPPO Digital

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by SamS, Apr 2, 2018.

1. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

The 105's DAC does sound good for M/C, for Stereo 2.0 not as impressive but still good.

2. Sevoflurane

Sevoflurane Forum Resident

I assume this is a decision by the parent company based on profit, which is fair enough. Companies like Sony have been producing far cheaper universal discs of late and so I guess Oppo could no longer compete.

The only thing my 103D does that nothing else I have can do is play DVD audio and allow me to rip SACD. As all of my DVDAs and SACDs are now ripped and backed up I am okay, I guess.

Overall bad news for silver disc spinners, though.

The Beave likes this.
  3. I suspect the increasingly limited prospects for UHD as a format and many dedicated home theater enthusiasts going with the cheaper Panasonic player made this an easy decision for Oppo.

This does absolutely cripple the SACD hardware market unless other players now step up. Oppo had basically pushed out all lower and mid-range SACD hardware competition.

We could be seeing the end of true universal players, which is a real shame.

The Beave and fluffskul like this.
  4. oxenholme

oxenholme Senile member

Why does the sun go on shining?
    Why do the waves rush to shore?
    Don't they know it's the end of the the world?
    'Cause Oppo ain't making any more...

5. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

It might be time to stock up and buy an extra player or two (Oppo or not) while they are around and in working order. Prices are likely to drop.... until they skyrocket back up just when our existing players start to go belly up.

In the short term folks will want out, and dump their players.

tmtomh and SixtiesGuy like this.
  6. Claude

Claude Senior Member

That's how I see it as well. Oppo mainly sells smartphones, the Oppo Digital division operating independently could have been not profitable enough. Oppo players are an expensive niche product on the Blu-ray player market, although they offer great value for money of course.

I read this rumour on the german Cinefacts forum already two months ago, but couldn't find any information to confirm it. I thought it was just a hoax, as Oppo seemed to be very successful.

Brother_Rael and PhilBiker like this.
  7. oxenholme

oxenholme Senile member

Which is exactly what I'm doing. Clever sales ploy?!!!!

The Beave and 4_everyman like this.
  8. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

Very sad news. I love my 105.

Bananas&blow and tmtomh like this.
  9. Macman

Macman Senior Member

This is really bad news. I love my Oppo 95 but wonder how much longer I can expect it to last. I can't really afford it, but maybe I should buy a 205 and store my 95 as a backup. The exchange rate is so bad, though.

kevywevy and tmtomh like this.
  10. ZenArcher

ZenArcher Senior Member

So apart from the Cambridge CXU, are there any other players or transports currently available that are true universal players (including multichannel SACD and DVD-A)?

11. Eyewire

Eyewire Forum Resident

Darn, so sad to hear this is happening! As a headphone aficionado, I’m going to have to buy one their highly acclaimed PM-3 planar magnetic headphones before it’s too late. I kept holding off because I thought Oppo would always be around.

tmtomh likes this.
  12. Sevoflurane

Sony UHP-H1. Cheaper than the Oppo machines which may be one of the reasons Oppo are no more.

LA2019 and tmtomh like this.
  13. Sony UDP-x800 and Sony UDP-x1000. I have a UDP-x1000 and it sounds really, really good.

LA2019, PhantomStranger and PhilBiker like this.
  14. BIGGER Dave

BIGGER Dave Forum Resident

That model is a couple years old and no longer easily available. I have one. I paid about $200 for it a couple years ago. The newer model is the UBP-X1000ES. And there is also the UBP-X800 although that does not have Analog Outputs. I picked up an X800 a couple months ago on Massdrop for (if I remember correctly) $125. It’s mated to a Schiit Gungnir MB.

tmtomh and SamS like this.
  15. Sevoflurane

Sorry, still shows as available in the UK. We are sometimes behind other countries.

16. townsend

townsend Senior Member

Yesterday I wrote OPPO, and said I had planned to buy a 203 (for real) in June (after I move). As a testament to their extraordinary customer service, they wrote me back the same day and said that they thought that they had enough stock to last to the fall of this year, so I should not have a problem getting a 203 in June.

17. SixtiesGuy

SixtiesGuy Ministry of Love

Excellent advice. It may seem costly now, but consider it an investment in the future. I wish I had done this with the Technics SL 1210 while the original run was still in in plentiful supply at reasonable prices.

18. McLover

McLover Senior Member

A sad end to a great audio line. Oppo made the best optical disc audio for the money, with the best customer service of the lot. Oppo Digital will be very missed. R.I.P. Oppo Digital.

SteveM, ben_wood, soundQman and 4 others like this.
  19. John

John Senior Member

Cant say I saw that one coming.

AlmanacZinger likes this.
  20. Diskhound

Diskhound Forum Resident

Hmm... I would be a little worried about Internet resellers around the world grabbing multiple units for future sale at increased prices. Existing OPPO customers will definitely be moving up purchases too. The OPPO players are likely to become legendary. Those with deep pockets and a longer term investment horizon could change the dynamic quickly in the coming weeks. There really aren't any serious substitutes that I can see. Of course, OPPO's demise could also see a company like Marantz moving back into this market but charging a $200 or $300 premium when the couldn't before.

McLover and tmtomh like this.
  21. feinstei9415

feinstei9415 Forum Resident

I have the Oppo 93 (with the DVD and Blu-Ray zone-free board) and it still operates perfectly. Their products have great longevity and reliability. It's a shame to see them go.

SteveM and Jerry Horne like this.
  22. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

I couldn't care less about Oppo, but I do wonder more generally if the cause is specific to them or if there is a 'big picture' concern.

I didn't read the whole thread, but is there more info out there yet? Is this home theater related or two channel stereo (or multi-channel music)? Or is it the more general move away from physical to streaming for both movies and music?

Or, is this related only to their apparent success in cell phones outside of the US? (just saw this in another forum)

I would not be happy at all if I just bought their new 4K player. There were developments underway with respect to HDR, as I understand it. Gotta believe that there will be some angry customers!

Last edited: Apr 3, 2018
  23. DrZhivago

DrZhivago Hedonist

Hi BD,

I assume you'd be using the coax. connection from your X800 to Gungnir? This connection doesn't support SACD, DVD-A or BD audio formats.
    Are you using your X800 as CD transport only?

Regards

24. docwebb

docwebb Forum Resident

So I see the Sony UBP-X1000ES is only $499 on Crutchfield (down from 699). So maybe it's not the end of the world.

25. weekendtoy

weekendtoy Rejecting your reality and substituting my own.

This is terrible, just terrible news.

I might get a dust jacket for my 203 to help prolong it's life expectancy. I wouldn't expect Oppo to provide support past it's current warranty obligations.

I recently sold my 105 am now really regretting that, albeit that's an expensive backup.

tmtomh likes this.