Farewell to OPPO Digital

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by SamS, Apr 2, 2018.

1. Maybe they should have played some records through those speakers :tiphat:

2. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Simple. As P. T. Barnum was rumoured to say, "There's a sucker born every minute" ;).

Should have read Wikipedia closer :D.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
  3. Postercowboy

Postercowboy Forum Resident

Well, if you would do some research, you would find that P.T. Barnum actually never said that. :nauga:

4. SamS, there are a lot of “know-it-alls” out there.

5. Postercowboy

Postercowboy Forum Resident

[QUOTE="Lonson, post: 18493945, member: 23336"It's too bad that choices are dwindling in this section of the market. Perhaps that will change, but with the way things are unlikely.[/QUOTE]

Needless to say, you and me would stand a serious chance in any Nerdiest Nerd contest. I think we can all be glad we have each other. I mean, we are discussing absolute subtleties here, and who else in his right mind would even care about this stuff?

As to the dwindling choices: Over the last two decades, technical developments are nothing short of stunning. We‘ve seen Oppo come and now we see it go again. Personally, I have no doubt that something new and exciting will follow.

If the last twenty years are any indication, I don‘t think it‘s a good idea to back stock on audio equipment.

So if development goes on with the same pace, an equivalant to the $7k Marantz player should be available in the $1K range in a couple of years. Which is something I‘m looking forward to...

formu_la likes this.
  6. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I don't doubt technologies will progress but if you are a dinosaur like me and want to continue spinning discs, and are unlikely to move to a streaming or other type of source, then I think the choices will continue to diminish. I'd like to be wrong.

SandAndGlass and scobb like this.
  7. Diskhound

Diskhound Forum Resident

I think the people who picked up an extra Technics table when they initially went out of production probably feel pretty good about it. ;)

sunspot42 and tmtomh like this.
  8. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

I think that leaving off Streaming apps is much more preferable to the machine for me.I
    Because, you've got Amazon firestick, and any number of 'devices' that will allow anybody to stream, plus you have Roku, And Smart Tv's that have Roku, like we have here in the Beaves
    household, a nice TCL 55" Roku Smart Tv, which is the best tv we've had, and it's 4 K to boot.

So, if you own a projector for a tv your weird right off the bat compared to majority of tv owners, :righton:

But you do have plenty of options available to you, to put a negative on OPPO for not including apps, many of which will be obsolete in a few years time, (remember that streaming app on the old DVD players aroundv8/9 years ago that never worked well......ah drats....I CAN'T EVEN REMEMBER THAT APPS NAME), that's my point, why include internet apps in a dedicated Universal player? Immediately dooms the gear to obsolescence.
    Again, you want Netflix and your on a projector system, you have plenty of choices, but why would you put such compressed crap on your projector in the first place?? Just become a Normal person and buy a cheap 4K Wal-Mart tv and cheap Amazon Fire Stick and $100 Sony bdp3700 be played and you'll be happy as a clam in Seattle!!

Oh, btw......got my second OPPO tonight FOUR DAYS EARLY THAN WHAT WAS SCHEDULED....THANK YOU FED EX!!!!!
    Mint condition OPPO 83. No remote but it looks new. So now I'm going to apologize to all of you OPPO fans that I have, maybe picked on or made fun of in passed posts.
    This gear is the most SOLIDLY made gear, other then my EMOTIVA gear, I've ever come across. Simply astounding how well built these units are.
    And EVEN though it's 8 years old, I happily spent $160 for it because it's STILL relevant as a universal player, and it'll probably last another 40 years the way it's over built.
    So please forgive me for last Oppo bashings and now I've got to figure out what to do to bring this machine and the 93 I got two days ago back to factory default and bring the firmware up to the latest version, then let the entertainment begin.

And no, I don't care about the or 8k, or 16k, or 3d, or HDMI bugs, or burning sacds.
    Just watching tv....
    Beave

SandAndGlass and tmtomh like this.
  9. mongo

mongo Senior Member

I still regret selling my first piece of gear, a McIntosh integrated amplifier.
    I still have a Denon 5910ci. Talk about a tank. 41lbs.
    Video-wise, totally obsolete.

BTW, with all of this talk about streaming etc., I see some folks around the net talking about "holding off" for 8k sets etc., I wonder if they realize just how much bandwidth that takes.
    We're only just getting to the point where decent 2k streaming is fairly widely available in populated areas & 4k is limited to larger urban areas.
    To me, 4k as far as resolution goes is plenty. Keep improving the color gamut and other important factors in video display before playing another numbers game with pixels.

Trust me I have nothing against streaming A\V in and of itself but what I do not like is that it does nothing for diversity & permanency of content.
    One reason why I won't stream music is that the artists get screwed by it. Why they allow this is beyond me.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
  10. The Beave

But your NOT wrong, which is why I just invested in not one but TWO older OPPO units.
    For me, a disc spinner for life, these older units are gold.
    Beave

SandAndGlass likes this.
  11. mongo

mongo Senior Member

Beave, all you need to do is go to the Oppo Digital site & click support.
    All will be revealed.

12. The Beave

Thank You Mongo!
    I Will Do That.
    Lets Have A Fun Friday Night Here Guys!
    Yeeeee Ha!!!!
    Beave
    Man, These Oppo Units Are BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!!
    and So Is My New EMOTIVA CD-100 Im Listening To Rjght Now . (Jimmy Smith Back At The Chicken Shack To Be Exact). :righton:

bluejimbop and drgn95 like this.
  13. Diskhound

Diskhound Forum Resident

When Sony discontinued their 400 DVD Mega changers a few years back I was running two of them. I still run a pair of them today as transports. One is for my favorite 400 movies and another is full music/concert DVDs. I saw the writing on the wall when they were discontinued and bought a nearly new changer as a back-up. Last year the changer full of concerts stopped working and out came the back-up unit. I am still in business. There's nothing like having a beer or two and surfing your concert collection on the Lazy Boy! Sometimes the good stuff disappears.

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  14. mongo

mongo Senior Member

45 mins into Happy Hour here.
    2 Oppo-205s & 2 203s(Got a 203 for a friend, honestly) virgins sitting in boxes
    and I lack any kind of functioning sound system except for Alexa.
    The Absolut & Soda with Sumatra Sunrise only goes so far.
    I know you feel my pain.

Mazzy likes this.
  15. The Beave

Exactly!!!
    Good move man!!!!
    Beave

Diskhound likes this.
  16. The Beave

Oh yes I do.
    But you know Alexa is no bad audio at all.
    If your enjoying the moment that's all that matters mongo.
    And On a grey, windy, wet Pacific northwest day like today enjoying the moment is indeed good!
    Beave

17. mongo

mongo Senior Member

true dat

18. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

Yikes!

SandAndGlass, tmtomh and The Beave like this.
  19. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

Dare we even say anything here? Scary...

20. OldSkoolFool

OldSkoolFool Forum Resident

Streaming apps are free and available everywhere. I thought Darbeevison was a cool enhancement and I tweaked my previous player to perfection with it.

Maybe the internal scalers that Oppo has are good enough but I think it was a cool technology that was offered.

21. This.

22. The Beave

No its not. Drama Mama......:D

Get off the mod thing and get back to Opp o closing doors.
    Done!
    Beave

TarnishedEars likes this.
  23. The Beave

Mongo, 8:35 here and the new/old Opp o 83 is updated on firmware and playing a British bd!
    Drawer has no issues and it's in New condition!
    I'm using the remote from the 93 I got two days ago........
    Life is good tonight.....Enjoy your night!
    Beave

24. The Denon 5910ci is the finest sounding universal player ever produced. Period. Sure it’s obsolete video-wise but the SQ is light years ahead of the 205 or anything outside of an esoteric machine that I’ve ever layed my ears on.

25. Richard Austen

Richard Austen Forum Resident

Last edited: Apr 14, 2018