Farewell to OPPO Digital

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by SamS, Apr 2, 2018.

1. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

Even though I have my partner's gracious and understanding "pre-authorization" to buy a 205 when the production run is available in June, I'm considering whether I should do so.

The "panic" feeling is subsiding, as I consider what I really need. For my surround sound system, I have a Denon receiver that I connect my 105D to via HDMI. I also have the stereo RCA outs connected so I can listen to stereo/mono layers of discs via the Oppo's D/A converters, but for multi-channel layers of discs, I'm fine with HDMI.

So I only need to worry that there will be a durable/reliable universal player (CD, SACD, DVD-Audio, and Blu-Ray) with HDMI-output (capable of passing multi-channel signals in all of those formats) available to purchase in the future, for a "reasonable" price (e.g., $1,500 or less). Today, that would be the remaining stock of the Oppo 203. Thus, I'm on the fence about buying a 203 as a backup for my 105D.

For my stereo-only system, my focus would be on maintaining a durable/reliable disc player with excellent D/A converter and sound quality, capable of playing the stereo layers of CD, SACD, and DVD-Audio discs (such as the Classic HDAD discs, or the many audio-only DVD-Audio discs that I have created myself from high-res downloads). That could certainly be the 105D, for the rest of its functional life. But what about after the 105D stops working?

I've started watching some threads about "transports," thinking that eventually it might be nice to get a DVD-Audio, SACD, and CD transport (without a built-in DAC or analog outputs), and connect it to a stand-alone D/A converter for my stereo-only system. But I'm not sure such "universal transport + universal DAC" equipment exists right now -- certainly not in the sub-$1k price range. Seems like the "transport + DAC" combo is generally limited to redbook CD only, unless you get into the multi-thousands-of-dollars range, for more high-end equipment (e.g., I've been reading a little of Steve's experience with the Audio Note disc transport, that passes DSD to an outboard DAC, in addition to redbook CD, but even that seems to lack DVD-A compatibility).

I think this mess of a post reflects well my thoughts about the end of Oppo -- their line of universal players offered a "buy it and it'll play it" simplicity and a no-brainer decision due to reasonably good durability and user-friendliness of features, while its void will leave a lot of uncertainty and wondering how future-proof I'll be able to maintain a significant portion of my digital collection (i.e., anything other than redbook CD) that I've accumulated over about the last 20 years.

Craig.

2. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

80s hits HK SACD. A fave of mine. I grew up in the 80s what can I say?! Lol. I loved this disc on the 105D now it sounds even better.. slightly warmer more bass an even better midrange and highs which were great already .. wow. This oppo 205 is definitely a upgrade in the SACD section from what I have been hearing. I know this isn’t everyone’s favorite audiophile SACD but I love it and it is not compressed or brick walled ! More soon ! ;)

3. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

Wow I can hear the bass guitar lines more clearly and impactfully too.. this is awesome! ;). 99 Red Baloons - Nena !!!!!

4. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

Celine Dion..All the Way a Decade of Song SACD , I already thought this was exceptional sounding but Wowza.. holy. I am blown out of my couch .. lol. Oppo 205 is pure reference so analog sounding but yet clear and warm. It is a not just good.. it is spectacular .. I think it sounds not just superior to the 105D which is no slouch ha! But I dare say it is better than some of the super high end SACD muti buck players I have heard at shows and stores. YMMV. But wow. I love this thing. And I only scratched the surface. Brava Oppo for your swan song!! More to come on CD and Blu Ray. Going to bed for now ;)

5. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

Oh yeah .. so far the SACD listening has been thru my AQ Diamondbacks on the Stereo Dedicated Outputs at DSD direct .. FWIW. The one Blu Ray was HDMI chocolate direct to Panny Plasma.. other chocolate is hooked to my pre/pro for HDMI Audio Dedicated Out of Oppo for the soundtrack .. will report more on the movie audio later .. ;)

6. Postercowboy

Postercowboy Forum Resident

For some people, the current generation of Oppo machines appears to be perfect solution. When I was in the market last year, it turned out the Cambridge Audio CXU was much better suited for me.

And since you do not need the analog outputs, the CXUHD might fit your needs. Just to name one existing alternative. Personally, I have no doubt there will be others. And especially if an all-in-one machine is not crucial for you, I doubt your should have any worries in the foreseeable future.

7. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

Just a suggestion: maybe you and others getting a 205 now should post these impressions in the actual 205 thread, so whoever looks for informations on this player in the future finds them in the dedicated thread. Especially comparisons between the SQ of the 105 and the 205 would be very useful for that thread, since people have asked about them a lot there.

Otherwise, enjoy your new toy. Sounds like you already do. :)

8. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Plenty universal transports that will function with modest priced AV receivers but there is a lack or even total absence of affordable Dacs that do DSD over HDMI. Looking at least £3K I think. Hard to predict future products. At the moment manufacturers are dumbing down on hi-res audio only and focusing on surround/video. Strange as I don't think high quality surround sound really ever took off here in the UK. People don't have the space in most houses.

The Beave and tmtomh like this.
  9. d3adf1sh

d3adf1sh Forum Resident

dude, have you heard any of the commercial releases on a player w/ HDCD decoding?? huge boost in quality! a lot of the releases are recordings directly from the soundboard to proffesional tape gear.

if nothing else they were probably upsampled in the mastering studio. so you need the decoding to hear anything close to what the mastering engineer was hearing in the studio. before dithering to 16bit, anyway..

Shvartze Shabbos and The Beave like this.
  10. jhw59

jhw59 Forum Resident

I can really hear the upgraded DAC in the 203 vs the 103. Since I use HDMI I wonder if it's worth spending several hundred dollars for the 205?? Video will be the same.

11. Postercowboy

The major difference between the 203 and 205 is the analog section. If you do not intend to use the analog outputs, the upgrade seems pointless.

chili555 and scobb like this.
  12. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

If you're using HDMI it's not worth buying the 205 as one has to use analog to take advantage of the better DACs in the 205. Below is a link from Oppo : Understanding the Differences Between the UDP-203 and UDP-205

OPPO Digital - Ultra HD Blu-ray Disc Players - Buy Direct from the Manufacturer

ben_wood likes this.
  13. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I just saw this Oppo 205 WTB listing over at AVS and had a real good laugh. Maybe he meant a 203 :D. Can't fault the guy for trying or better yet dreaming of getting a 205 for $750 shipped ;).

Wanted to Buy (WTB) Oppo 205

Looking for a mint condition Oppo 205. Must have original box, all packing materials, all original accessories and a receipt either from Oppo or an authorized dealer. Please let me know the purchase date when you respond. Will pay $750 delivered to zip 28451 (NC).

Wanted To Buy - Oppo 205 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

14. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

FWIW the 205 did make a nice difference on my Blu-Ray soundtracks via hdmi Dedicated Audio .. however if peeps are t going to use the Dedicated stereo out , I would agree the 203 would be fine just by via hdmi cause it’s not worth all that extra cash for one feature . Especially if you forgo the Dedicated stereo out as You wouldn’t be using the 205s great sounding DACs ... ;)

15. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

He's optimistic if he thinks he's going to get one for that price!

MikeJedi and chili555 like this.
  16. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

More like delusional :laugh:.

chili555 likes this.
  17. Postercowboy

Open an ebay store and this will be your day to day business. I try to answer any halfways sane inquiry, but when somebody offers $200 on an item listed for $750 I can‘t be bothered. Even if he wants the item as a ‚present for his brother‘.

VU Master and bluejimbop like this.
  18. jhw59

jhw59 Forum Resident

Thanks for all the replies. If I buy the 205, I should try the analog option I guess. Also would get MQA option in the 205 but I've read mixed reviews here and elsewhere.

19. Postercowboy

Well, CD Japan has just published a preorder list of 100 upcoming MQA releases:

CDJapan : Search result by mqa

Unfortunately, more or less all of the new titles have been released in SACD and/or BR-A format before, but maybe one of you 205 owners want to make a test buy and do an A/B comparison?

Seriously, they come up with yet another format and first thing they do is re-releasing the same old stuff again?

20. Postercowboy

I think there are a number of good reasons to buy a 205, but I would not count MQA among them. Aside from the first batch of releases being a major letdown, it says MQA offers a resolution of 176.4/24.
    A good BR-A can do 192/24, so what else is new?

MikeJedi likes this.
  21. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

The cdjapan MQA releases are Hi-Res CD format (UHQCD format x MQA technology). Will the 205 read CDs with MQA technology? I know the Oppo site states that the 205 can play back MQA audio files but no mention of disc playback.
    Well maybe the resolution might be a let down but the mastering of some of those titles might be worth buying on that alone no matter the resolution. I preordered the Steely Dan Royal Scam disc. If the 205 does not have the ability to play the MQA layer (?) I might cancel the preorder. But maybe I won't if the mastering is better than any other digital version.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
  22. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

Sorry but I haven't been enamored with the format, dude. Mastering and mixing is much more important. I have many HDCD's and none of them stand out in terms of sound quality compared to the best standard CD's. That wasn't why I posted however, I was genuinely wondering if they took the time to encode AUDIENCE recordings to the format. Peak extend on a sound board recording seems a bit over the top. I didn't realize they have some studio albums in HDCD which is fine but doesn't excite me all that much. I already have many of them in high resolution. The studio production of many of the Dead albums are excellent.

23. Before Oppo announced they were stopping production, he could have gotten a used one for that price. He probably would not be able to now.

24. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

No way. The lowest I've seen used 205s going for before the Oppo announcement was $1000-$1100. Why would anyone sell a player going for $1300 for almost half price?

Hymie the Robot likes this.
  25. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

Bill Mac likes this.