Farewell to OPPO Digital

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by SamS, Apr 2, 2018.

1. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

The original SACD ripping method involved a subset of PS3 models, older ones.

Then someone discovered that the Oppo 103 and 105 series could be used for it, and then the Pioneer 160, 170 and 80FD. More recently it was discovered that the Sony BDP-590, plus I believe 490 and 390, could as well.

2. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

Wow. Those Sonys are tiny and can be had for $50. As a guy keeping a big bulky Oppo 103 around solely to rip SACDs, I'm intrigued.

chrischerm, Metralla and tmtomh like this.
  3. townsend

townsend Senior Member

Thanks to the info provided in this post, I called OPPO today (Wednesday morning), got through to the customer rep, and requested a 203. He talked about how they were low, yada yada yada, and then said, give me your name and shipping address, etc. Total cost was 567.00 shipped. I find this kind of bizarre . . . that the website makes no distinction between these two parallel avenues of purchase -- online store vs. "call them directly." I have sent them several e-mails, and my e-mails were always answered, but NO ONE ever suggested that a 203 was just a phone dial away. I was told I was put on a waiting list, that inevitably some 203s would be returned in new condition, and that the list . . . blah blah blah . . .
    Hello? Is anyone home here? :doh::wtf::doh:

BTW, this is my first Oppo purchase EVAR . . . I am not buying it to flip it, scalp it, or invest in it. I plan to take this blu-ray player and my tangible, physical media to my grave . . . though that may be hard, since I plan to have the smallest possible carbon footprint.

ben_wood and Reese like this.
  4. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

Just a stab in the dark here - with people able to call in and order an Oppo 203 (which I have already), could the same happen for a 205 - which I want to purchase when they become available again?

5. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

To be fair, the one I see for sale on Amazon U.S. right now for $915 has been modifies/hacked to allow for region free playback of DVDs and Blu Rays. You'll notice it says "shipped and sold by World Import". There are a lot of these little mom and pop outfits modifying players to make them region free and then selling them for an inflated price. These guys just happen to sell on Amazon. When Amazon themselves had it in stock, they were selling it for $569 as I recall. I wound up getting a UDP-203 from Oppo (via the website) a couple of weeks ago. I'm glad I didn't wait any longer.

P.S. I'll likely make my unit region free someday; I'm just not in a hurry at the moment.

scobb likes this.
  6. townsend

townsend Senior Member

I will also make my 203 (just ordered today) region free. It is kind of a confusing secondary market -- I think there are several competing products for making the 203 region free. And since we were all caught off guard by OPPO's recent announcement, it is hard for me to believe that the region free hardware hacks will disappear so suddenly. But then again . . .

jhm likes this.
  7. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

I doubt it. I actually called Oppo back in early April when they had just run out of 205s, asking if they maybe had one or two extras lying around, customer returns, that sort of thing. I was told absolutely not. So I don't think the phone-call method will work for 205s when they get them back in either.

To the best of my knowledge, the only units they normally hold back and keep around are some in the service dept, which they use for warranty related swaps when necessary.

Reese likes this.
  8. hobbes4444

hobbes4444 Forum Addict

Did amazon ever sell the 203? I recall oppo selling it through amazon (purchase and shipping from oppo) for $559. but i never looked at other sellers beyond the main listing.

9. When 14 were then available at Amazon, it stated "sold and shipped by Amazon" and they were a little over $800. Just a couple of weeks ago they were $569. at Amazon. Now the those available have grown to 9 for $915. and they are sold by Worldimport . Specs show the UDP-203 will accommodate most any world electrical type. All it would need is the corresponding power cord or adapter. I'm not sure if it is universal region, but I think that is a matter of programming.

Anyway, Fedex delivered my UDP-203 a few minutes ago. I had to pay sales tax because I live in California. It came in an un-opened box and is brand new, with mine being the only shipping label ever applied. The player itself is wrapped in a custom Oppo bag and the accessories in a custom heavy-duty Oppo box.
    The Tech department told me to call directly because there was a possibility that they had some left. There was also a possibility that they would be able to pull some from other warehouses, the factory or even some refurbished units. Like I said, mine is brand new in the original box.
    If you want one, better call Oppo while they still have them or pay the pirates that are jacking up the price of an already expensive player.

Brother_Rael and tmtomh like this.
  10. townsend

townsend Senior Member

Has anyone purchased and installed this DIY kit to make the 203 a region free player: bluraychip.dk - Oppo UDP-203 multiregion DIY kit

Why do I pick this one? Has clear instructions, it is a hardware solution, nice website, looks legit, what's not to love? You may reply in the vein of Tina Turner "what's love got to do with it?"

SandAndGlass likes this.
  11. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

I have an OLED and let the 203 scale up to 4k. Works fine. Of course, a mediocre looking DVD will look really bad in 4k. :)

12. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

I have the same one. It works great. It takes more time to take the cover off the player than to install it. Some guys say the 103/105 chip works just as well in the 203/205 but YMMV.
    It stays in the region you set even when you turn off the player so you have to reset it back to region A when you need it.

jhm, townsend and Reese like this.
  13. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

Whatever chip/part that 220 Electronics put in their 203/205's doesn't require any changing regions. It's just automatic.

14. Bathory

Bathory 30 yr Single Malt, not just for breakfast anymore

15. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

Here you go:

SACD ripping, Mac/Oppo. How, exactly?

(don't be put off by the thread title, we cover Windows in the thread too)

16. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

I think Oppo was the seller but it was fulfilled by Amazon. Oppo wasn't going to just eat the shipping cost, so I'm sure they raised their selling price on Amazon to accomodate it.

17. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

Blu-rays and DVD’s? All of the add on decoders can be set up to make them completely region free with DVD’s but must be region set for BD’s.

18. dolstein

dolstein Senior Member

Just a head's up - if you signed up to notices about additional inventory of the UDP-203, check your in box. I was able to buy one at the regular retail price ($599). There was a "one per person" limit, so I wasn't able to buy a second. But the person I spoke to indicated that there might be additional inventory available. As for the UDP-205, it sounds like there may be a bit of a wait for the last batch.

19. dolstein

dolstein Senior Member

I also noticed that the content relating to the headphones has been pulled. The pages might still be there, but there are no links.

20. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

That's how it was when I bought my last Wee-jun Emancipated player from them, an Oppo 93. That's what I expected when I ordered the 203.

21. dadonred

dadonred Life’s done you wrong so I wrote you all this song

Hello, Oppo!
    So a couple of weeks ago, my Pioneer DV563 ceased to load discs. I was a little bummed because I didn’t really want to upgrade. I tried cleaning the lens. I think the spindle motor may have went. Anyway, it’s for my secondary/HT and sometimes SACD and DVD-Audio listening. I also didn’t want to upgrade my multi channel receiver.

So I just got a Oppo 95. (New to me). I needed component video out so I didn’t look for a more modern player. I guess I will receive it next week. Looking forward to it and hoping I get a long life from it. Any suggestions???

22. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

The list price for the 203 is $549. If anyone is looking for a 203 check with the Magnolia Design Centers in your area. I bought a 203 from the local store in my area and it was the last one in stock at that store

OPPO Digital - Ultra HD Blu-ray Disc Players - Buy Direct from the Manufacturer

23. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

So far I've found that the 4k TV that I have, has perfectly upscaled any DVD that I have played in it this far.

The picture quality is way better than I could have ever expected it to be. No Complaints, just praise.

24. There is a slightly more expensive solution that doesn't involve opening the Oppo's case. That is the one I've been looking at for consideration.

25. townsend

townsend Senior Member

Link please.