Fargo FX Original Series

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Scope J, Mar 15, 2014.

1. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I agree. He had so much to lose that he got his courage back, or maybe got it for the first time.

2. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

Favorite lines from the show?

Here's a good one:

[​IMG]

sound chaser likes this.
  3. notesofachord

Marvelously bizarre and funny:

[​IMG]

4. notesofachord

Malvo just loves ****ing with people, especially alpha dogs:

[​IMG]

Vidiot, rburly and bababooey like this.
  5. notesofachord

6. notesofachord

Oh man, this show was the gift that kept on giving.

[​IMG]

7. notesofachord

Bob Odenkirk was so perfect as the small-town good ol' boy police chief:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. notesofachord

IMO, the most Coen-ian scene from the series was when the neighbor came over for a late-night visit with Gus and told the story of the man who gave away everything:

[​IMG]

IronWaffle likes this.
  9. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

I watched it again last night and when Gus was ostensibly going to the police station to be with Molly, he sees the wolf. Then he looks over and sees the BMW. There was no way he could have known that was Malvo's car. Also, and I remember it bothered me at the time, why didn't he call the police station? Then he pulls up and parks beside the house. You know the rest.

Anyway, to your point, at Lester's house after Malvo shot the sheriff (but not the deputy!), he got away. Every single time during the series that we wonder what's going to happen, Malvo gets away. Again, knowing it was the last episode, he got caught in a bear trap (and he put his gun down when he picked up his doctor bag - he always had a gun) why didn't he have his gun in the chair with him? So, I understand that the series needed to end. But don't allow something that has never once happened during the series to happen at the most crucial part of the show. Malvo was Evil incarnate. Why should that change in the last episode?

10. EricF

EricF Well-Known Member

I thought Gus saw Malvo in the BMW earlier while he was delivering mail? I assumed that he would know that the BWM didn't belong at the cabin from his mail route and that's why he suspected it was Malvo.

thgord and wayneklein like this.
  11. rburly

When I saw Gus look over and then pulled into that little road, or he even could have done this from the road, why didn't he call Molly and have her send out the guys who were patrolling around? Instead of Gus committing murder, the Bemidgi police could have surrounded Malvo and killed him when he started shooting. Again, to me, they had an ending they wanted and wrote everything up until then and then ended it the way they wanted. It was amazing writing, even during the last episode. There were just some plot points, to me, that were sloppy during the last episode. I think the reason I'm still writing about the last episode is because I am a huge fan of the show, just not of the way it ended.

12. notesofachord

I thought that Molly's Dad was going to be the one that kills Malvo.
    ...turns out it was Gus - I'm cool with that. Actually, it makes more sense that it'd be Gus. He's the one that let him get away originally. Did you guys ever consider that maybe Gus knew or had a hunch that Malvo was monitoring the police radio and so that's why he didn't call for help? The element of surprise was the only way to get him.

IMO, the finale was great. The only thing that was slightly disappointing was that that the deaf hit-man never showed up again. Maybe next season (if there is one)?

wayneklein likes this.
  13. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member Thread Starter

Go Bears

14. Captain Groovy

Captain Groovy Senior Member

[​IMG]
    Cool site - thanks! Didn't catch this one. Very clever.

Like a Coen Bros. film, I have to watch it at least twice to pick up tons of goodies I missed the first time. I usually enjoy Coen Bros. movies most after second viewing. Then comes third, fourth, and the addiction. How many times have I seen Miller's Crossing or Fargo or Lebowski or Hudsucker or O! Brother...

Jeff

notesofachord likes this.
  15. You're looking for real world logic here. It kind of fell into its own internal logic from the first episode and was consistent to that internal logic so I felt it worked out just fine.

People do bizarre things in real life, too and go on hunches just as Gus does. He did what he did because, in his mind, he was like the devil and would get away no matter what anyone did.

It also allowed him to reclaim his dignity after being dismissed by Malvo.

Vidiot likes this.
  16. rburly

But think of the logic of the movie. It was bizarre, but each action was consistent throughout the movie. How can someone who always gets away, no matter how trapped he may be, get caught by a bear trap (which he would have accounted for at any point earlier in the movie) and go back to a cabin and get caught off guard? That logic just doesn't follow. I accept it and thought it was a let down in the writing, but he had to die. My point in all of this has been that they should have done what Vince Gilligan said what he and his writers did, they backed themselves into a corner and worked from there. For this to have been consistent, Malvo would have had a couple slip ups before the last episode. Or, come up with a better ending. In Walter White's case, he ended up unintentionally killing himself.

17. But he didn't shoot the deputy

18. rburly

19. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

As someone already posted, I don't think even Malvo could have anticipated there would be a bear trap in Lester's bedroom.

20. rburly

With that logic though, Malvo would have been caught far earlier than he was. For example, as was brought up earlier in the thread, how do you kill 22 people... there are 2 FBI agents outside, and there are no witnesses let alone the FBI agents.

21. If the here were bear traps there the series would have ended sooner

22. rburly

I just thought there could have been a better way for Malvo to have been killed. Yes, we all can agree that Gus killing him was an appropriate way ending. I just wish they had written a different scenario for that happening. There were so many times that Malvo got away from a sure capture. To get caught a bear trap? I get that the subtext that he's an animal, etc. But Lester sets a bear trap and that's it? And he leaves (instead of killing Lester) and goes back to a cabin with no protection (his gun)?

23. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Nothing about the ending bothered me. I'm glad it's over, was about the right length; will be fun to watch again, I'm sure I'll get the disc set.

Watching Thorton is fascinating for me. . .as we were both born on the very same afternoon.

24. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

The bear trap was perfect. Even the evil Malvo couldn't have expected danger at the foot of the bed and his attention was on the bathroom door.
    Malvo left his gun aside in the cabin because he was delerious with pain. We had never seen him in agony before. His killer rational was temporarily on hold.
    Also, didn't Gus recognise the red BMW because Malvo had driven past him driving it in the previous episode (when Gus had that flash of recognition)?

A great end to a terrific series!
    Is there a good book about what actually happened in Fargo?

notesofachord and Scope J like this.
  25. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member Thread Starter

thgord likes this.