Fargo FX Original Series

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Scope J, Mar 15, 2014.

1. Luckless Pedestrian

Luckless Pedestrian Forum Resident

That episode was a train wreck laden with predictability and implausibility. You could see the count of monte cristo move coming a mile away with all the gratuitous shots of the guy in the ridiculous head bandage. The "cops in cars getting coffee" scenes were just dull as dishwater but still managed to telegraph the final scene; we get it, he's incompetent, she's not. Also I don't see how the biblical theme works at all here; part of the appeal of the original Fargo setting is it's intentional banality and the utterly pragmatic motives of its characters, including the bad guys; they were morons, neither psychopathic nor supernatural. People are too busy dealing with the weather to do much deep thinking or get all mystical. And earlier episodes kept a good balance between humor and violence, but that went off kilter in this one. That TV.com reviewer wrote that this was the episode where Fargo got REAL; he forgot to add the word silly, or stupid, I fear.

Dudley Morris likes this.
  2. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Did everyone catch the name of the parking garage - "Gustafson", which was the name of Jerry Lundegarde's father in law from the movie, who gets killed at the parking garage by Buscemi's character.

3. Luckless Pedestrian

Luckless Pedestrian Forum Resident

I didn't see that, but it looked like the exact same garage as in Fargo; at least they shot it in such a way to make you think so. Plus seeing the garage attendant asking for his 2$ gave one pause.

4. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

Was the money that the young Oliver Platt character finds along the fence, the money Steve Buscemi character hid in the movie, shortly before he found the inside of the chipper?

Captain Groovy likes this.
  5. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

Yes. And now there's a new briefcase full of money planted there. Maybe this will be the device tying each season to the next.

(If it returns -- haven't the ratings been kind of underwhelming?)

6. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

Did I miss that? Did I doze while another briefcase was placed there?

7. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

It's supposed to be a 10 part series and that's it. Like a "10 hour movie."

8. Squealy

Platt buried the money he had collected for the ransom in the same place, thinking if he "returned" the money that would stop the madness that has been happening to him.

9. Squealy

I thought they wanted it to be a continuing series with a new set of crimes and characters every season.

10. rburly

Before the series started, they said it would only be a 10 part series. Unless something changed since then, that's all I've seen.

11. Squealy

12. rburly

This was (part) of what I posted on March 16.

13. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

I think you might be confusing this with the True Detectives series on HBO. That one will have a new set of characters/ actors.

14. Squealy

Read the article I posted above.

sound chaser likes this.
  15. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

I discovered a few days ago I forgot to record last Tuesday and the only replay was last Wednesday. I'm getting bits and pieces from the comments above. It sounded like a disappointing episode. Rather than watch it on the computer, if one of you could just summarize the major points in a few sentences I will just continue on with the next episode. Thank you!

16. sound chaser

sound chaser Senior Member

The Molly Solverson character reminds me so much of Tyne Daly in 'Cagney and Lacey'.

17. rburly

Looks-wise or the way her character acts? I never watched Cagney & Lacey.

18. sound chaser

sound chaser Senior Member

I didn't either, but from clips I've seen I would say a bit of both, looks and mannerisms.

19. rburly

I can see the resemblance. Molly appears to be a little heavier, but she's a great actress.

20. Thomas D

Thomas D Forum Resident

A major storyline was, after Lester's brother offends him in the hospital, Lester absolutely brilliantly sneaks out of the hospital, gathers up some key evidence from his home, plants it in his brother's house, and successfully sneaks back into the hospital -- all of this undetected. I didn't know Lester had this in him.

tonyc likes this.
  21. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

just when I thought the show was getting good, the last episode was pretty poor

22. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

Not really - don't forget Lester's nephew saw him in the house. Even though his nephew pretty much ignored it, you know that's going to become important down the line.

23. rburly

Also, "Mr. Numbers" is dead. A lot went down the last episode.

24. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

I liked the last episode a lot. A ton of riveting things happened (Lester sneaking out and back into the hospital, Malvo being ambushed by the mob guys in that snowstorm, the whole money exchange thing going south etc) to keep me glued to the TV, just that some of it defied any logical explanation I could think of (how did the mob guys know where to get Malvo, know what kind of car he was driving etc?? how was it that Molly + whatshisname just happened to be like 2 blocks away from Malvo's ambush?). I'm hoping there will be some plausible explanations for that stuff though.

rburly likes this.
  25. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I enj0yed it, I'd say go ahead and watch it. There were some things that may or may not be made believable in the future that were a little hard to swallow, but these were for the most part action-packed cathartic moments. . .the show needed something like this and there it was.

Captain Groovy likes this.