Fargo FX Original Series

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Scope J, Mar 15, 2014.

1. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

"By the time we reached Bagby's store, my hand had turned black. I was not awake when I lost the arm. The Marshall had stayed with me, I was told, till I was out of danger, but he departed before I came
    round."

GodShifter likes this.
  2. dmiller458

The only part of season three I don't understand yet is the character of Emmitt Stussy. As the ne'er do well brother, I can understand Ray being dimwitted. But how did Emmitt become the Parking Lot King of Minnesota without some combination of brains and b@!!$? As I said in a previous post, someone like Varga tries to muscle your business, anyone with sense goes straight to the FBI.

Is McGregor's performance really the problem or is he merely playing the role as written?

Last edited: May 17, 2017
  3. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

If he went to the FBI, it would change the plot all together. It's just T.V.

4. dmiller458

I understand that, but that's why I don't have a grip on his character.

Last edited: May 17, 2017
    Vinyl Addict likes this.
  5. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Well, this was a pivotal episode wasn't it?

The tension is building.

6. BEAThoven

BEAThoven Forum Resident

Still fully invested in this season, but a couple scenes seemed so cliche to me. For example, Gloria and her law-enforcement cohort are very astute and aware -- exceptionally so; their chief, however, is very pig-headed and obtuse -- exceptionally so.

7. dmiller458

I thought that she was dead.

8. garrincha

garrincha Forum Resident

s**t just got serious!

9. garrincha

garrincha Forum Resident

I think he's just trying to stamp down his authority, despite the compelling evidence before him.

Vinyl Addict and Lonson like this.
  10. dmiller458

They didn't really go into his background. Might be that he's more bureaucrat than cop.

11. Lonson

They are "consolidating" power. I've seen this in state government, and seen new "managers" act like this. Seemed "real" to me.

12. Lonson

Me too. They did that right. . that lingering look at the truck and then her hand and arm coming around. . . very effective.

13. dmiller458

Question now is does Ray think Sy was responsible for it? Will he think that Emmitt ordered it? Is he going to have the same near-blind rage that Emmitt showed in that phone call after seeing the sex tape.

Chris from Chicago and Lonson like this.
  14. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Well that was the most disappointing episode of the season so far to me. Which I've enjoyed thus far. Didn't really like a single thing about it. Seemed to vacillate between dumb farce and sheer ugliness. Blech.

rmath84 and Deesky like this.
  15. misterjones

misterjones Smarter than the average bear.

The obstructionist police chief is a tiresome dramatic device to stretch out a police investigation. I gave it a pass in season one, but I'm disappointed they used it again.

Captain Groovy and BEAThoven like this.
  16. misterjones

When the characters really ramp up the "you know . . . well . . . ya just can't . . . you know . . . come in here and . . . I mean, it just isn't . . . I mean, you can't . . . well, it isn't right, ya know . . . you come here with your . . . and . . . I mean we're just . . . for no reason . . . I mean it just isn't right, ya know?" then you're just padding the dialogue.

17. BEAThoven

BEAThoven Forum Resident

Yes, it's a case of extremes in caricature -- Gloria and colleague are cracking this case with the precision of a surgeon... almost too quickly; the chief, with mounting evidence right in front of him, is the classic concrete-headed "Stop that, we got more important work to do..." but then no specifics are given.

18. dmiller458

They're not padding anything. It's how folks talk in the Midwest.

Bender Rodriguez likes this.
  19. misterjones

I spent a large portion of my youth and went to college in Michigan. It is not "how folks talk in the Midwest". It's an exaggeration for comic effect.

I suspect people talk along those lines in the Dakotas and Minnesota, but I think it's way over the top. Besides, I was referring to the inability to complete a sentence, not the accent.

Last edited: May 19, 2017
    Bender Rodriguez likes this.
  20. rjp

rjp Senior Member

i am interested to see where this will go.

lots of possibilities as it stands right now.

Vinyl Addict likes this.
  21. dmiller458

You think it's way over the top? Going to college here is not the same as living here most of your life. Folks in the eastern part of the UP talk just like Canadians. Those on the western side talk just like folks from Wisconsin and Minnesota.

"What aboot it, eh? Yah, don't ya know?" That right there is half my cousins' vocabulary.

Vinyl Addict likes this.
  22. misterjones

I guess you're right. In four years of college (in the far western portion of the state), I never left the dorm. I didn't even go to classes. I never went to any of the local business or talked to the people in town. In fact, my trip to the UP was all in my imagination. The same is true about the portion of my youth I referred to. Never talked to the locals. One time I did, however, I stood there for five minutes while he tried in vain to say more than what appears to be the extent of your cousin's vocabulary.

Do you get my point about the inability of characters to complete a sentence? I'm not referring to the accent. The same problem often plagued Curb Your Enthusiasm, which appeared to rely heavily on improvisation. Some were good at it (e.g., Larry David and his manager Jeff) while others fell into the repetitive/stuttering trap I see too frequently in Fargo (along with the seemingly incessant commercials). Used too frequently, it loses its dramatic (or comic) value.

23. dmiller458

I believe you.

Yeah, I get it. I used to live in Miami. Now I'm back in redneckville where folks think you need a 20 min explanation to a yes-or-no question.

24. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

....and, KARL WALLINGER gets a CHECK!!!

25. rufus t firefly

rufus t firefly Forum Resident

Who sang the cover of this on the show?