Fargo FX Original Series

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Scope J, Mar 15, 2014.

1. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

I been thinking about that. I'm hoping that we've underestimated Nikki, if she can survive that beating. I can guess at Ray's revenge based on the character so far; but there's many possibilities for her revenge.

Mazzy likes this.
  2. Yeah I think she could be the last "man" standing

3. Chris from Chicago

Chris from Chicago Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes

We wouldn't want anymore...fornicating with our cookware.

What was the deal with the wolf in the closing scene?

Vinyl Addict likes this.
  4. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

Back to the Peter and the Wolf story maybe?

5. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

the last two shows were better ,the ones before that......

6. dmiller458

Omen

Chris from Chicago likes this.
  7. Captain Groovy

Captain Groovy Senior Member

I continue to watch as I am not a fair-weather fan, though if there's another season like this one, perhaps I'm not a true fan.

My issue with this season is:

It's not riveting. May have the most brilliant last half, but must say every episode that goes by, I'm losing faith, and the series has to get exponentially better after each episode to make this Season worth it.

I don't care about the characters - at all. Stuhlbarg is nailing his part - what a performance. But caring? Maybe just him. Mary Winstead's character - seems genuine about her love for Stussy, despite the obvious way too hot for him element. Which I guess can explained that she's in on a set-up? Don't know - but the beating that sounding like her head crushing in - only to see her perfectly done up hair and makeup without a scratch... ? Reminds of Leno joking about Rene Russo in Outbreak. Everyone's face is falling away from this disease - when Renee gets it, she gets a "pimple" and they leave her as the model she is/was as she's "dying".

My wife thought that her character has to be in with the two "hit men". Absolutely no scratches on her face and the shot of her ribs did not sound like the crushing she actually "took".

I assume it was all to make Sy look even worse to the Stussy brothers. Like he did it. I don't know. So binge-and-purger can drive the wedge between him and the overly-dumb Emmett. What IS with that? Everyone acting overly dumb when given an opportunity to act or respond to an action?..

Too many scenes already seem like 5th generation copies of the Coen Bros. Where the first two season had the "feel" DOWN - really an astonished feat, this feels like a bad imitation of the Coens. Killed by a falling air conditioner! Creepy bad guy who's not that creepy after all... wow was he intimidating and mysterious in his first appearance. Bad teeth and British accent don't just equal scary. He binges and purges. That explains the teeth...

I just don't get it - so Mrs. Stussy sees a DVD of sex and IMMEDIATELY accepts at face value, takes everything without even ONCE letting him explain? Huh? And Emmett is so destroyed - why? If it's your family, just clear up with zoom in proof it's obviously his brother ****ing with him. This is "bad" Coens. Easily fixable issues where people are just accepting things we wouldn't normally in real life.

This is starting be like when someone "does" a Woody Allen movie and it's so off, that it's cringe-inducing (see: Miami Rhapsody, or rather, don't).

Honestly, now I'm sounding like a slavish fan, but Michael Stuhlbarg' performance is carrying this. I'm glad he's under such pressure as the character.

And if Vargas is trying to make himself more disliked by denigrating Jews and fat women, I'm not offended (I'm the Jewish part and my wife is Jewish and svelt). Just more of "he says the most offensive things to get what he wants". Wonder if this was written while the Republican and Presidential debates were going on?... ;) If Vargas gets what he wants in the end, perhaps there was some inspiration there.

Damn, do I miss looking forward to the next episode of Fargo! My wife said, "Remember when we used to end ever episode with 'This show is so ****ing good' and 'Cannot wait til next week?'

Jeff

8. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Exactly. I found myself really upset hearing as she's being what sounds like beaten to death then alternately upset that she's looking fabulous crawling into the car.
    Seems like they ramped up the characters acting stupid in this episode. And the coffee mug scene was awful. Still looking forward the next one though.

jon9091 likes this.
  9. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

I agree. I still like the show, but it's not naturally brilliant like the first two seasons were (esp. season 1's dialogue). Too many cliches and not as well written. The acting performances, editing, and flow are still great though.

10. dmiller458

I was hoping at some point in the scene that Sy's ***** were going to drop and he'd fight back. Ray and Emmitt seem to be at that point, but I'm wondering how much it will take before he's pushed too far.

I'd love to see Emmitt, Ray, Sy, and Nikki set aside their differences and combine forces to crush Varga.

11. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

I know, right? After all his talk with the brother about 'taking the shackles off', and his grand plan is to give Nikki 40K? The odd thing is we were manipulated into thinking he was gonna hurt her when he told her to follow him to a 'more private place'. So wassup!?

12. PhilJol

PhilJol Forum Resident

by far the worst of the 3 seasons imo

also it's turning my stomach

Deesky and jon9091 like this.
  13. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Yeah...It's been tough keeping my wife on board for this season.

14. Vinyl Addict

Well that was an interesting episode.

Bender Rodriguez likes this.
  15. chacha

Yeah, I certainly didn't expect that to happen so soon. Weird.

Vinyl Addict likes this.
  16. BEAThoven

BEAThoven Forum Resident

I was certainly taken by surprise... but this is Fargo, so no surprise there!

Coen Bro irony at its best... You have the Varga and crew "murder machine" ready to go into action and Emmett does all the hard work for them... accidentally.

EVOLVIST likes this.
  17. Bender Rodriguez

Bender Rodriguez RIP Exene, best dog ever. 2005-2016

I was worried Nikki was going to give herself hypothermia.

18. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Emmett can't apply pressure to a wound or call 911?

Captain Groovy, Deesky and EVOLVIST like this.
  19. Vinyl Addict

Either he was too in shock, or he just simply had no desire to.
    I got the feeling he was too worried about going to prison for murder as he was watching him bleed out.

20. Bender Rodriguez

Bender Rodriguez RIP Exene, best dog ever. 2005-2016

Why do people on TV and in movies always pull out the arrow (or shard of glass)? I thought that was the worst thing you can do. That's what is holding the blood in your body.

21. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Which is exactly why Emmett says "DON'T" when Ray reaches to do just that. As far as Emmett being worried about going to prison, it was an accident. That said, there was probably a small part of him that wanted to let Ray die. Also, even if it was an accident the police are definitely going to be suspicious and ask a lot of questions.

22. Vinyl Addict

Yes, we on TV see it as an accident, but the PD is investigating a feud between he and his brother. The investigation is focused on Ray possibly trying to have Emmett murdered. Emmett accidentally stabbing his brother in the neck with a shard of glass may not look so accidental to the Police with the other murder investigation already underway.
    I think that's what was going through his head.

23. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Watching the bad guy picking away at his rotten teeth I'm thinking this has got to be the most repugnant character I've ever seen portrayed on ANY show, ever! Does anybody think he's getting out of this series alive?

24. chacha

He's a wonderfully weird character and I think the actor is terrific.

25. Except that Emmit's fingerprints are not in the shard that actually kills his brother. They might find a partial on the piece, but not enough to say that Emmit grasped the small piece of glass and put it in his brother's neck.

For the last two seasons, two people killed on accident, and the cops would have investigated and let them walk. But no, they both did something stupid, which was try and cover it up.

Now Varga is going to claim that Emmit owes him, big time. Poor Emmit. He hasn't done anything wrong at all.

Bender Rodriguez and GodShifter like this.