Fargo FX Original Series

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Scope J, Mar 15, 2014.

1. Chris from Chicago

Chris from Chicago Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes

If I were one of the cops interviewing Emmit, and a rude dude walks in and wants to know the details of what's going on, but wouldn't even give his name, there's no way I'm offering him any info whatsoever. I'm fact, he wouldn't be in control of the situation. And I certainly wouldn't have allowed him to adjourn the meeting.

Having said that, this IS a much slower burn than past seasons. But a tension is building. And a reliably unpredictable finish is no doubt coming. I am looking forward to them flipping what i thought would happen.

EddieMann, GodShifter, Deesky and 3 others like this.
  2. Bender Rodriguez

Bender Rodriguez RIP Exene, best dog ever. 2005-2016

Based on the theme of the nature of truth that has been developing, I predict Emmitt, the only "innocent" character, will take the fall at the end.

Captain Groovy likes this.
  3. Chris from Chicago

I also noticed the relationship, or lack thereof, between Gloria and technology continues. When Varga tried to Google Gloria's name, there was nothing at all as if she didn't exist.

Anyone feel the need to brush their teeth after watching Varga pick his?

4. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

More like visiting he dentist!

5. Thomas D

Thomas D Forum Resident

As far as Ray ... Darwin's theory at work! That scene illustrated massive stupidity. He should have just taken the offering and be done with it. I realize hyper-emotionalism was at work, but at a certain point, such as the particular circumstances there, it goes from emotionalism to stupidity.

Enough with the ugly mouth scenes (e.g., Varga and the guy who shot the archduke), enough of the vomiting. And please no eating scenes. I guarantee these guys will amplify the chewing sounds and moving saliva sounds - they have the sensibility of a 12 year old boy on what seems "cool".

6. garrincha

garrincha Forum Resident

I was eating my dinner when the camera zoomed into his disgusting choppers! 'kin 'orrible!

7. garrincha

garrincha Forum Resident

agree with the sentiments of others re this season. easily the weakest of the lot. other than Varga and Sy, the rest of the characters are pretty lame. I'll stick with it til the end, but I'm not particularly enthused by this season at all.

hopefully it'll pick up a bit...

Captain Groovy likes this.
  8. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

I must be watching a different show.

9. misterjones

misterjones Smarter than the average bear.

It would be more enjoyable with more Coen Brothers references. The only two I noticed last week - and they were very indirect - was the jugular scene (The Man Who Wasn't There) and the request for the crime scene clean-up (Barton Fink).

10. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

I don't know what else they could have done the last two episodes to "pick up a bit".

chacha likes this.
  11. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

I thought when Varga brought up Lennin ("NOT the bloody Walrus") was anther one!

12. What has Emmit done that's wrong until the point that he didn't call the cops when his brother died? By that time he was under Varga's spell.

There's the alleged breach incident with the stamps, but we have no idea how that actually went down.

13. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

1) He made the shady investment to begin with.

2) He is only making a token effort to keep Sy from being sacrificed.

3) You mentioned after I responded as if that suddenly does not count.

I simply would not call him "Poor Emmitt".

14. What shady investment? They borrowed $1 million from somebody without doing their due diligence, and then they come to pay it back, as anyone reasonable person would, with interest, mind you, but being that it was Varga on the other end, things went south.

As to your second point, I don't quite understand. Granted, I haven't been paying attention to this season as much as I have the others. My interest level isn't quite there. Nevertheless, one gets the impression that Sy was the real brains behind the operation, which is why Varga wants him out. Emmit just isn't that smart. So Varga drives a wedge between Emmit and Sy, making Emmit question Sy's abilities, which have never been in question. The only problem is, for the first time now Sy is in over his head, too. Emmit doesn't really see this (after all, he's kind of dumb, yet with a good heart), and he blames Sy. However, he only half-heartedly does so, putting his faith in Sy, once again, agreeing to Sy's terms of "no shakles." Only we never find out what Sy's plan is, because Varga's boys show up. Sy finds out once more that even "without shackles" he is simply no match for Varga.

So, again, I don't see that Emmit has done anything truly nefarious, especially compared to the other characters in the show, with Sy only being slightly ahead of him.

I mean, at the beginning of the show wasn't Emmit portrayed as being the good natured, kind of dumb, rich guy to set up this very premise that he was manipulated at every turn?

15. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

Not calling the FBI as soon as Varga showed up.

Vinyl Addict and tonyc like this.
  16. Maybe I missed something - again, this season has really been popcorn TV for me - but what should have prompted Emmit to call the FBI?

17. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

How bout the fact that he muscled his way into his business? "That million wasn't a loan, we're partners now."

GodShifter likes this.
  18. Captain Groovy

Captain Groovy Senior Member

I think the biggest moment of this episode was Emmit not calling Sy - but calling Varga. I agree with you there.. and the funniest Coen-esque part was 'the Oriental' turning out to be able to be a perfect match as legal representation, too.

Unfortunately another lackluster episode really. Still not investing any of the characters beyond Sy and seeing where Varga takes this..

Varga could end up being a total scam - that first million borrowed from another fool and then all the loans and debt and cash he could pull out of Emmit with liability all on him.. it could all be related to their extremist causes (notice the Stalin photo in that bootleg basement place?).

Man, I hope Sy makes a play here - with that older lady who was interested (and threatening) - something - that he does not go gentle into this good night..

I too was concerned about Winstead's character getting hypothermia in the bathtub which is exactly why I kept my concerned eyes on her the entire scene.

At best at this point, I may think there were 4 amazing episodes (yet to come) but the first 6 I could pass on or fast forward through.

Just a bummer - I don't want many fictional shows that have a continuing storyline, so I'm just disappointed. Season 1 and 2 were phenomenal.

Jeff

EVOLVIST likes this.
  19. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

In the 'you-learn-something-new-everyday' dept.:
    I had NO IDEA that the guy who plays Verga was also KNOX HARRINGTON in "The Big Lebowski"!!
    I only really know him from the Harry Potter movies!!
    And, so... as HBO is showing "Lebowski" (as it seems to be showing it everyday, now), I see the scene he's in, and it clicks.... THAT'S HIM!!
    In the hundreds of times I've seen it, and I just figured that out TODAY!!!
    :yikes:

20. Right. But why the FBI of all agencies? I would be on the phone with my attorney...which they did, right? But the lawyer dies, so they call up a new lawyer. Then I'm sure the local police. I don't see how the FBI fits in. *shrug* Maybe I'm as dumb as they are.

21. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

They can muscle a lawyer. They buy off the locals.

22. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

Why the FBI? To bring back these two agents:

[​IMG]

23. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

The women are pretty much the only thing keeping me engaged at this point though I was quite moved by Sy's breakdown with his wife. The police chief's off the charts obstinate stupidity is getting really tiresome. Still look forward to every episode though but it sure is pale compared to last season.

Captain Groovy and Deesky like this.
  24. rjp

rjp Senior Member

totally agree about the police chief, unless he is on the whole thing to get the sully's with david thewlis.....that is the only thing i can think of that would explain his stupidity.

25. Chris from Chicago

Anyone think the convict on the prison bus next to Nikki was the deaf hitman from season 1? If it was... that might be the only thing preventing Nikki from meeting a grizzly death.