Fargo FX Original Series

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Scope J, Mar 15, 2014.

1. EddieMann

EddieMann I used to be a king...

trem two and JimW like this.
  2. JimW

JimW In the Process of Becoming

Sounds plausible. But if 10 minutes have passed (was it 10? I remember 5, but my memory ain't what it used to be), why didn't someone come and cuff him like Burgle said would happen?

But you make a good point about her smile- that, coupled w/ Varga going dark, would seem to indicate Gloria won...

audiomixer likes this.
  3. JimW

Great interview! Thanks.

Lots of good stuff, really liked this:

It takes us to the here-and-now and given our current political climate and the season's general dark tone about truth and unfettered Capitalism, without answering or spelling anything out, do you think there's cause in this moment for the hope that Gloria has, or do you take a more cynical approach?

Look, I'm an optimist. One of the things I love about the storytelling in this world, and it's what Joel and Ethan did in the movie, is if you think about the movie and not the horror of it and the senselessness of this poor woman being killed, her husband having her kidnapped for money, all this stuff doesn't make any sense, but at the end of the movie they're gonna have a baby and he got the three-cent stamp and tomorrow's gonna be a normal day. We can really be overwhelmed by how complicated the universe seems, but what Gloria says on the trunk of the car to her son, basically it's our version of "We've gotta stick together." There's a simple answer and that's, "Treat people well and listen and respect," all the stuff we teach our kids, right? That's really as simple as I can be. I like that at the end of the day, there's a very simple morality to a very complicated moral universe.

rufus t firefly and EddieMann like this.
  4. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

Well, if nothing else, it set up the encounter between Yuri and God at the bowling alley...

5. JimW

trem two likes this.
  6. JimW

Great article and it explains why there was a:

7. JimW

The whole theme of the world not being what we think it is- and that each discovery of this is a type of violence- really resonates w/ me. Acceptance is something I often struggle with.

EddieMann likes this.
  8. EddieMann

EddieMann I used to be a king...

I reported the post myself to the Gorts because I wasn't sure if the content was acceptable. It wasn't so they axed it. You might want to delete the link.

9. JimW

Too much politics to be acceptable? That's a shame, as I think it's a great article.

LOL- reported yourself. Class act, man(n). :righton:

Edit- too late for me to delete it. Will follow your good example.

10. Descartridge

Descartridge Forum Resident

The Movie, series one and series two were all absolutely excellent,

Series three STUNK, worse than Varga's teeth.
    What a waste or time.
    Shame on you Coens. What were you thinking?

11. JimW

It's Noah Hawley's show, not the Coen's. Try reading the article at the link above (while it's still around) and see if that gives changes your perspective at all.

And there's no neede to shout- your passion comes through in your words...

12. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

It is a good reference for sidebar reading, just don't discuss the politics here!

EddieMann and JimW like this.
  13. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

14. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

The ending reminded me of that Nicolas Cage movie, "Lord Of War".
    At least, in that movie, a knock on the door actually happened!

15. JimW

Haven't seen that movie, but I like the open-ended ending. And I also really liked the whole season- which ended up much better than it started.

16. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

It's not bad....... for a Nic Cage movie!

17. JimW

That sounds like damning w/ faint praise!

18. trem two

trem two Forum Resident

I thought this was a significant quote from Hawley's interview...
    "There's a violence to knowing the world's not what you thought."

Kind of echos Burgle's line from an earlier episode...
    "You think the world is something and then it turns out to be something else."

Last edited: Jun 22, 2017
    Lonson and JimW like this.
  19. JimW

Most def. A major theme of the season and one that puts some of the questionable things from early season into perspective.

20. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

In a way I'm glad this season is over as the lovely Mary Elizabeth had the same hairdo my late first wife had during the last twelve years or so of her life and Mary Elizabeth resembles Helen Elizabeth more than a little as well. It was an eery aspect to this season.

I thought this was wrapped up well. I'll enjoy re-watching it on disc as I have the first two seasons.

21. Veltri

Veltri ♪♫♫♪♪♫♫♪

When I heard that from Burgle it reminded me of The Wire where Marlo steals from a convenience store and is approached by security.

JimW, GodShifter and bopdd like this.
  22. CirculationUnderflow

CirculationUnderflow Well-Known Member

yea man this season was a let down .. they could of done this in 5 episodes or less and when the season is already a let down, not giving a decisive conclusion just makes the season more of a fail. Though I didnt realize this is how big business did things (doing the bankruptcy things selling off for pennies on the dollars with them geting 20million is funds in the camans islands)

23. TBone61

TBone61 Forum Resident

I thought Varga scornfully but emphatically saying Gloria's name must have been pretty validating for her in the end.
    Especially after going unrecognized by automatic doors for so long.

rufus t firefly and JimW like this.
  24. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Just watched it. Meh. Out of respect for the other posters that liked it I won't rag on it.

I will say this; I'm really getting tired of shows that need to be 'explained' via interviews or web articles or even chat rooms. Doesn't a story that needs further explanations outside of the initial viewing represent a failure of sorts on the part of the story teller? A well-told story needs NO explaining.

EVOLVIST, GodShifter, jriems and 2 others like this.
  25. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

JimW likes this.