Fast & Furious 7…

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Huck Caton, Mar 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Turnaround

Turnaround Senior Member

Not only does the yo-yoing good-guy-turned-criminal-turned-criminal-who-does-good character development make no sense in this series, but the main stars are all over the place as to which movies they are in or completely absent from. Even one of the characters died, then it turned out they didn't die!

Vin Diesel is completely gone from #2, and only appears for a few seconds in a cameo in #3. Paul Walker and Vin Diesel and virtually all of the main stars are absent in #3. I just noticed that Lucas Black, who played the main character in #3 (the only film his character was in) is back in #7.

Wikipedia entry on the franchise--

Starring:
    Vin Diesel (1, 3-7)
    Paul Walker (1-2, 4-7)
    Michelle Rodriguez (1, 4, 6-7)
    Tyrese Gibson (2, 5-7)
    Chris 'Ludacris' Bridges (2, 5-7)
    Jordana Brewster (1, 4-7)
    Sung Kang (3-6)
    Gal Gadot (4-6)
    Dwayne Johnson (5-7)
    Lucas Black (3, 7)
    Matt Schulze (1, 5)
    John Ortiz (4, 6)
    Eva Mendes (2, 5)

2. Dave Garrett

Dave Garrett Senior Member

Well, Best Buy currently has the newest Blu-ray collection of all six films on sale for $39.99, and it comes with a $7.50 Fandango coupon good towards a ticket to FURIOUS 7. :)

Only drawback is that it doesn't appear to be available for shipping, so you'd have to buy online and do an in-store pickup:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/fast-fu...u-ray-disc/3602081.p?id=3339636&skuId=3602081

3. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

PH416156 likes this.
  4. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

That's good to know. I am tired to check boxofficemojo and see that "50 shades of grey" is still the top 2015 movie.:laugh:

5. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

I think my prediction in post #15 will end up being accurate.

6. 80sjunkie

80sjunkie Forum Resident

Got my advance-purchase ticket last week and seeing FF7 tonight with a couple of buds!

7. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

Great piece about the car carnage in 'Furious 7' by the WSJ.

They wrecked a total of 230 cars. Cars that are kinda wrecked but not totaled get crushed so they don't end up repaired and back on the roads. Every car is meticulously kept track of from start to finish.
    http://www.wsj.com/articles/furious-7-what-happened-to-the-wrecked-cars-1427907293

Gallery of cars inside the Cinema Vehicles Services that helps with the production by supplying many of the cars, mods and maintenance. My skin crawls to think of that vintage Chevelle convertible as a possible future crash car. :cry:
    http://www.wsj.com/articles/renting-cars-to-wreck-1427906694

More on the car-destroying process in this article by Hollywood Reporter. The American cars in the Furious movies get the same 500hp drive train that they can swap in and out of cars as the destruction warrants. Some of the old muscle cars are getting very rare, so they pay through the nose even for total junkers to use in production. Great old cars only get more rare after movies like these are done.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/behind-scenes-furious-7s-car-784517

I love great action movies, but the car guy in me hurts when beautiful old Detroit iron is destroyed for fun. Ow.

dan c

Last edited: Apr 2, 2015
  8. progrocker71

These movies are 100% critic-proof, but still, at the moment F7 is standing at 81% on Rotten Tomatoes.

9. Turnaround

Turnaround Senior Member

I guess the Fast & Furious movies don't cheap out on the cars they crash up.

In other movies, the main character will suddenly change over to driving a crappy car, or they'll be driving down a street and suddenly all the cars around them are crappy, old cars. It's like the "redshirts" on Star Trek -- a sign that something's going bye-bye.

10. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

Officially premiered today in Italy but yesterday, counting on preview screenings only, "Furious 7" made a stunning € 408.172 :eek:

11. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

Will they ever stop making these incredibly stupid movies?
    Waaaaaaay to far fetched, and consistent overacting for my tastes.

12. progrocker71

No one is forcing you to watch them, ignore them and they will have no impact on your existence. They will continue making them as long as they are profitable.

mikeyt likes this.
  13. Turnaround

Turnaround Senior Member

I think the far-fetched nature of these movies is what people love about them. Like how people love Rube Goldberg machines.

Maybe you would like these movies better if it were Daniel Day-Lewis and Meryl Streep delivering lines like, "This is gonna be awkward ... but sexy as hell!!!"

14. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

when ppl stop watching and loving them...it's a business this movie making thing...

15. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

yes the things dreams are made of...so far fetched it's awesome!

16. 80sjunkie

80sjunkie Forum Resident

Saw it this evening with a couple of car-loving friends. We all thought it was fantastic. If you liked FF5 and FF6, this is definitely a worthy bookend. I'll definitely be seeing it a couple more times in the theater.

17. progrocker71

Watched Fast Five again last night to get in the mood for the sequel, it's just as gloriously ridiculous and entertaining as I remembered.

18. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

I totally agree with you. However, if it makes money for the studios & people enjoy going to see them, everybody wins. And best of all, I don't have to go see it because it's a choice.

Vinyl Addict likes this.
  19. Vinyl Addict

Yeah I know what you mean. Some things just surprise me when they are successful. This series is one of those things.

audiomixer likes this.
  20. progrocker71

Furious 7 pulled in $15.8 million in late Thursday night showings, more than double what F&F6 achieved.

It also raked in $16.9 million overseas.

21. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I loves me some action movies, but I have to admit I'm surprised at the continued success of the "F&F" franchise - especially since it seemed to be on the downward slope after a few flicks. Look at these US grosses:

Fast and the Furious: $144 million
    2 Fast: $127 million
    Tokyo Drift: $62 million (!)

But then "Fast and Furious" - film 4 - bounced back with $155 million. "Fast 5" cranked out $209 million, and then "Fast 6" bumped up to $238 million!

Crazy - franchises don't usually reverse decline like that. Maybe it's because the original cast faded away after the first - no Diesel in "2" and he only did a cameo in "Drift", I think. Walker wasn't in "Drift" at all

All of them came back for "F&F", so I guess that's what brought the crowds back! :shrug:

22. Vinyl Addict

A LOT of the numbers for this movie will be people wanting to see PW's last film. I would think, anyway.

23. Oatsdad

Honestly, I don't think so. Walker wasn't a major star - outside of the "F&F" series, his "biggest hit" was "8 Below", so it's not like he was an "A"-list actor.

It's like how some people claimed "Dark Knight" sold kajillions of tickets because people wanted to see Heath Ledger's last film. Except it wasn't his last film - that was "Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus", which made a miniscule $7 million.

Assuming there's a film 8, It'll be interesting to see how the "F&F" franchise does without Walker - as I mentioned earlier, when the series lacks the mainstays, it doesn't do well.

But I think it's become such a juggernaut that it'll continue to rake in the bucks without Walker...

24. Vinyl Addict

I say it fails miserably

25. Oatsdad

Define "fails miserably" in the context of this series - ie, predicted US and worldwide grosses.

For comparison, the biggest "bomb" - "Tokyo Drift" - made $62 million US and $158 total worldwide.

The biggest hit so far - "Fast 6" - made $238 million US and $788 million total worldwide.

So in that context, what = "fails miserably"?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.