Fast & Furious 7…

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Huck Caton, Mar 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

If they follow past examples, it'll be 4-5 months after the theatrical release. If Avengers 2 is out May 1, then I'd say by or before Thanksgiving is reasonable.

2. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

OK, thanks!

3. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

Finally was able to see it and I believe I spotted just two: the scene with Brewster in the garage after they move to the Dominican Republic: he doesn't really look "natural". And, the very last scene looks like footage from years ago (not talking about the final PWmontage/homage).

I'll have to watch it again at the theater or on BD but I'm under the impression that in a couple of shots PW looked slightly younger.

Now, about the movie: it was terrific fun all the way through and never felt bored or had to check my watch. I believe FF5 and FF6 were stronger films plot wise but, considering the hell they went through, it's a miracle they were able to finish a "cursed" movie, let alone being able to wrap it up featuring PW significantly from the beginning to the end and not just as series of nonsense cameo appearances here and there; that would have been disappointing. A tip of the hat to the writers, the editors and the director for that, the success of this movie is well deserved.
    Furthermore, FF7 delivers state of the art VFX, cinematography and sound ( eg: the absurd mountain chase: you'll believe you really are inside a car running into the woods)

What I didn't like of the movie: not enough screen time for Dwayne Johnson, Nathalie Emmanuel or even Jason Statham and way too much for "buddies" Ludacris and especially Gibson who are, imho, the real weak links in an otherwise excellent ensemble cast. Hopefully, Universal will find a way to show'em the door in the next FF movie. I also found a bit odd that Luke Evans and Gal Gadot received a credit..since when did a 2 seconds shot or a photograph mean an acting credit? :laugh:

mikeyt likes this.
  4. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

Most likely because of the montage near the end of the film, it's probably a SAG requirement. (I'm just guessing on that one)

As for Dwayne Johnson, he agreed to 10 days of shooting and nothing more, so that explains the amount of screen time.

mikeyt likes this.
  5. robertawillisjr

robertawillisjr Music Lover

Really?

6. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

No, not really. It's a joke - and a joke so obvious that I didn't think I needed to add an emoticon.

"Jaws: The Revenge" is a legendary bomb - that's the gag. I'm not sure it earned 27 dollars, much less $1.1 billion...

willy and mikeyt like this.
  7. robertawillisjr

robertawillisjr Music Lover

Whew! For a moment I thought I was in a different timeline.

8. Oatsdad

I sometimes mistake jokes for serious content too - we really have become emoticon dependent, haven't we? :)

Back on the "first Universal movie to make $1 billion", it's clear that if you adjusted for inflation, the original "Jaws" made that much. I don't totally trust "adjusted for inflation" rankings, but given that it made $260 million US - and about $470 million worldwide - in the 70s, it clearly would've been waaaay over $1 billion worldwide in adjusted dollars.

I recall two legit super-dee-duper movie phenomena in the 70s: "Jaws" and "Star Wars". There were other huge hits as well - like "Superman" - but just nothing compared to the way those 2 dominated box offices and popular media...

9. progrocker71

Jaws IV:
    The Revenge

Domestic Total Gross: $20,763,013
    Distributor: Universal Release Date: July 17, 1987
    Genre: Horror Runtime: 1 hrs. 29 min.
    MPAA Rating: PG-13 Production Budget: N/A

Total Lifetime Grosses
    Domestic: $20,763,013 40.0%
    + Foreign: $31,118,000 60.0%
    = Worldwide: $51,881,013

10. Huck Caton

Huck Caton Well-Known Member Thread Starter

First off, I just wanted to say I always appreciate your smart and informative posts—and I'm more than willing to bet I'm not the only one here who feels that way!

Regarding this particular issue, I felt I should point out that no one other than Paul, himself, (from a variety of sources) voiced the Brian O'Conner character in Furious 7.

[​IMG]

lbangs likes this.
  11. Oatsdad

Yeah, but adjusted for inflation, that's $1.1 billion! :D

12. progrocker71

The funny thing is that $51 million adjusted for inflation is approximately $100 million now, so it actually did pretty well for 1987.

13. Turnaround

Turnaround Senior Member

Seriously, can you stop talking about Jaws: The Revenge in this thread.

You can talk elsewhere if you want to talk about some stupid franchise sequel with a farfetched revenge premise, cheesy acting, and gimmicks like exotic locations and bikini-clad extras.

willy and Mark Nelson like this.
  14. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

That's interesting, Huck. So they had enough dialogue recorded from F7 and the previous movies to piece together whatever he had to say in the newly-shot footage?

15. Huck Caton

(Don’t tell a soul, but James and Universal were also able to sweet-talk creators of other non-F&F features into letting them “borrow” desired syllables/words/phrases that Paul uttered along the way during production of those projects. Between that and all the various Fast production dialog takes (both used and unused), the kids in post were able to build everything they needed for Furious 7.)

[​IMG]

lbangs, BlueGangsta, mikeyt and 3 others like this.
  16. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Wow, that's an amazing insight, Huck. That must have been an absolute nightmare for the dialogue editors to EQ and smooth out all those different sources! Look forward to hearing (and seeing) the movie.

17. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

Yeah it must have been the mission impossible of the editors...of course I will be able to judge it only watching the BD with the original english track enabled ( I saw the film dubbed in italian at the theater) but that info is another proof of the massive effort that the crew put into this movie.

@Vidiot : as I wrote the other day,FF7 delivers state of the art visual effects, sound and cinematography. Today I read that actually there's not much CGI in this film and they destroyed 230 cars :eek:

http://hype.my/movies/furious-7-more-than-230-cars-smashed-beyond-repair/

@Huck Caton: I see you were the first unit boom operator; congrats to you and the rest of the sound crew. I greatly enjoyed your work when I saw and heard the movie: great job! Cheers.:thumbsup:

Vidiot likes this.
  18. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

19. Huck Caton

Thanks for the kind words, Marcel!

[​IMG]

PH416156, willy, Vidiot and 1 other person like this.
  20. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

21. progrocker71

Furious 7 passed the $1 billon mark today. It achieved that mark in 17 days which is faster than Avatar or Avengers (19 days each).

22. The Wanderer

The Wanderer Seeker of Truth

Kinda' short, no?

23. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

I wonder if it has enough legs left to catch Avengers? $519 million to go.

24. I enjoyed it very much.

25. progrocker71

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.