Father John Misty - New Album, God's Favorite Customer (June 1, 2018)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BeardedSteven, Apr 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Crazyhorse11

Crazyhorse11 Hoser

Me too! Lol.

fluffskul likes this.
  2. Purplefowler

Purplefowler Forum Resident

First full listen and I already prefer it to pure comedy (which I really enjoyed). The more concise format works much better, much more killer and way less filler. I love the ltd package too, really cool looking

BeardedSteven and Dan C like this.
  3. Graham

Graham Senior Member

Unfortunately my copy has visible and audible nonfill on the much quieter side B. Back it will go once Amazon UK get more stock.

4. Cemetry Gator

Cemetry Gator Forum Resident

I think there's a lot of joy on those two records that naturally leads to a lot more playfulness. Pure Comedy was more of a political statement, where as this seems to be about a "long weekend" and a sort-of-coming down. On the past two records, the humor has been a lot more biting and there's a lot deeper of an edge. "Chateau Lobby #4 (In C for Two Virgins)" has a lot of humor, but it's such a pure love song that you can't help but feel lifted up. But here, the closest you get to that is "Disappointing Diamonds are the Rarest of Them All," which is a love song twisted on its side.

One trick he's been doing on this album that I love is switching narrators mid-stream in the song. Mr. Tillman is the easiest to see - the chorus is a different person singing than the verses. And perhaps the same can be said with "Please Don't Die," although you could also argue that it's a twist on the conversation in the song. The verses showcases all these terribly sad things he's doing, and he's the one begging the other person not to die.

I will say this - it is nice to have the first Father John Misty album that you can play in polite company all the way through. Apparently, some people just don't appreciate Honey Bear's lyrics like I do.

BeardedSteven likes this.
  5. Clonesteak

Clonesteak Forum Resident

Just got my copy in the mail today and placed that piece of vinyl on the turntable and listening to it now. Now I am feeling good now. Such a great first two tracks. Glockenspiel Rocks!!! This will be a keeper of an album along with all my FJM albums. I only got into FJM about 6 months ago and glad I did.

6. jordanb87

jordanb87 Forum Resident

Giving my Loser Edition a spin now. Are the vocals recorded a little hot on purpose? There's a bit of sibilance but that's not usually an issue on my system. In any case, the fourth straight masterpiece from this fellow.

Now, can someone explain the test pressing label thing? Is it a joke? Surely test pressings aren't done on fancy coloured/marbled vinyl?

7. They are all labelled Test Pressing!
    On first listen close to my favourite album of the year so far.

fluffskul likes this.
  8. wwright

wwright Forum Resident

Bummer. Which color vinyl version was it?

9. fluffskul

fluffskul Would rather be at a concert

Glad i ordered the CD... i love vinyl... i really do. So I buy a vinyl pressing once I know its an album I want to hear again and again and the pressing will be decent. I can't help but think people who insist on buying vinyl and return it when its not perfect are actually contributing to the format's demise.

But to get back on subject... i listened on way to work this morning got through first 6 tracks. I'm enjoying it immensely. Excited for side 2 tomorrow.

steviej likes this.
  10. Crazyhorse11

Crazyhorse11 Hoser

Errrr, ya thanks man. Not sure you noticed my 'lol'.

11. Sorry.Meant to put it with the original test pressing post.

Crazyhorse11 likes this.
  12. Graham

Graham Senior Member

Black vinyl, UK release on Bella Union.

13. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Being honest, I have never liked this artist. Would never give him the time of day, but why on Earth do I find myself digging this new one? Almost sounds like 70's John Lennon at times. I am on the verge of buying this. Is this an album that continues to grow on you? I can't believe I'm posting on a Father John Misty thread, this album must be pretty good!

I hope long time fans cut me a little slack here...glad I took the time to listen to this.

Brendan K, wwright and Revolver like this.
  14. BeardedSteven

BeardedSteven Forum Resident Thread Starter

Even the CDs have the "test pressing" as the artwork. On the actual CD.

15. Clonesteak

Clonesteak Forum Resident

I used to not care for him until I bought his album Pure Comedy. I not a fan of every song on this album but I really dig his other three albums. I finally get his sound and really enjoy it. This new one is my favorite of his now. Great stuff!!!
    I find all of his albums grow on me the more I listen. To me this is the sign of a great artist.

BeardedSteven, wwright and scotti like this.
  16. Cemetry Gator

Cemetry Gator Forum Resident

This album is a lot more emotionally direct than his other albums, where he was a lot more snarky. And that can be off-putting for a lot of people. This record still has humor, but it's less cool about it.

TheFidelityBadger and scotti like this.
  17. DaK

DaK Forum Resident

Is the vinyl really pressed at RTI and cut by CB?

18. Gibson67

Gibson67 Life is a Magical Mystery Tour enjoy the ride

Just listened to my red vinyl copy on Bella Union label, I have all his previous albums and this latest offering has drawn me in the most. Emotional both lyrically and musically, love it.

Clonesteak, wwright and jimhb like this.
  19. Got on board with Pure Comedy. Love this new one. This guy reminds me of Ryan Adams - he needs a good slap, but writes devastatingly good songs that sound like somebody else. It’s like an Elton John tribute act singing originals. I’m ok with that.

ciderglider likes this.
  20. wwright

wwright Forum Resident

Thanks. Likely a small percentage were affected, but will aim for a different pressing version for this release.

21. Absolutely digging this album, and it's a good length too. I agree as well @Cemetry Gator

22. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

It’s growing on me so far after a month or so of the leak. If you like that Lennon vibe check out ‘things that would have been helpful to know before the revolution’ , that definitely sounds Lennon-ish to me

jpmosu and TheFidelityBadger like this.
  23. ZenArcher

ZenArcher Senior Member

I’d always unfairly dismissed Father John Misty from casual samplings of his work. With this album, I’m finally getting what he’s up to, and the high level of his work. Yes, superficially he sounds a little like Elton John or Lennon, but underneath that is a delightfully deviant viewpoint. It’s brave music!

24. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

So I am on board and ordering my copy of the vinyl asap. Can any members shed light on the different versions/colors? Should I just stick with the standard black, or is that just a matter of preference? Thanks in advance!

25. Sadcafe

Sadcafe In the kingdom of the deaf, one eared man is King

Like others i am loving this album.. feels like Elton John sings Lou Reed with a nod to They Might be Giants/crash test dummies and John Lennon.
    Definite 70s vibe and cool arrangements. This may be the best FJM album to date. For me a definite upward trend in his output.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.