Father John Misty - New Album, God's Favorite Customer (June 1, 2018)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BeardedSteven, Apr 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

Unless you have a fondness for foil tears added to album covers or Japanese lettering, stick with the basic edition.

Clonesteak and scotti like this.
  2. Clonesteak

Clonesteak Forum Resident

I got black and I am happy with it. I would stick with black. Just my opinion

scotti likes this.
  3. Brian Doherty

Brian Doherty Forum Resident

Even just one song in, not that one, the "Elton John Misty" aspect is more and more strong, to the point where I think it's safe to say that's where he's landed artistically: this generation's Elton John. Nothing wrong with that. I await his "Crocodile Rock."

I have argued this in other FJM threads but the fact he used to use one name and now uses another I think is a real sleight of hand distraction in this whole "persona" thing. He's a pretty prominent public figure, and I detect ZERO reason to believe the feelings and attitudes expressed in FJM songs are not largely if not entirely those of the man who wrote and sings them. He's not Randy Newman doing GOOD OLD BOYS for gosh sakes. He's a smarter-than-you hipster moralist, just like the songwriter. (Unless he later reveals all the interviews were also "in character" and you know what? If he ever tries that move I'll think he's lying.)

CWillman likes this.
  4. Brian Doherty

I don't like to present this observation like it's my own, someone hipper than me made me hear it, but for a more obscure reference point, always appropriate for FJM, check out Terry Melcher's early 70s solo lps for the truest FJM template.

5. sbeaupre

sbeaupre Everything must go

I really enjoyed Fear Fun and I Love You, Honeybear, but hit a wall with Pure Comedy. It all felt a bit ponderous, and the melodies, which had been a draw alongside the lyrics on the previous two albums, seemed to be largely absent. The reliance on the falsetto was also starting to bug me. I was so put off, I’ve been slow to give this one a chance. But the positive reviews in this thread are encouraging.

6. VeeDub

VeeDub Senior Member

This, absolutely.

heliocentric and lonelysea like this.
  7. mdphunk

mdphunk Sharing in the groove

Liking the new album so far. It may grow on me, but my first reaction is that while it's probably a more consistently enjoyable listen from start to finish than Pure Comedy, the high points aren't quite as high. It feels like a return to form if you liked the first two albums but didn't care for Pure Comedy. We might look at Pure Comedy as an anomaly in his catalog someday.

Also nice to see CB in the deadwax. As with his other albums, this is a very nicely engineered, great sounding album.

8. I find the exact opposite! I'll take the last 2 over the first 2 all day long. Better, more direct writing and I like the production more.

9. Greg Smith

Greg Smith Forum Resident

Pure Comedy stands alone as a statement album....
    It's a slog in the middle, but an album that needed to be made. Not as personal as this current one though or as fun and as witty as the first two records but it's essential to his discography.
    Only song i'm yet to get into on the current record is the last track for some reason....

BeardedSteven and Record Rotator like this.
  10. Alfie Noakes

Alfie Noakes Not Dark Yet....

I thought Pure Comedy was his best so far.... :shrug:

Still digesting the new one

YHF and Turbo2k like this.
  11. Brian Doherty

Given it four listens through desktop speakers streaming out of laptop so no comment on recording quality---I hear hints that a great system with great pressing will reveal a very warm and well arranged bit of soft rock---but despite PITCHFORK calling it "hooky" it's a real, real dry and dreary experience minus paying total 100 percent attention; Misty usually works on both levels for me. This is the dry sepia-toned TUMBLEWEED Elton, might hope for a little more life. Glad he's got a 70s style productivity level as well as approach, so fans needn't be too bummed if the newest one doesn't knock 'em out.

12. Alien Ache

Alien Ache Soul black vinyl to stop your tears

Cool behind the scenes peak at the making of GFC. What an album!

13. Fla-Vor-Ice

Fla-Vor-Ice Forum Resident

I’m happy with my Loser Edition vinyl. Also, don’t sleep on some rather good bass playing from unexpected(?) sources: Mark Ronson on "Disappointing Diamonds Are the Rarest of Them All,” and Mr. Tillman, himself, on "Hangout at the Gallows"

BeardedSteven and Clonesteak like this.
  14. lonelysea

lonelysea Ban Leaf Blowers

This, exactly. More than ponderous, it was overbearing! I approached this one with caution and I have to say that I really like it. These are actual songs; not masturbatory, stream of consciousness ramblings and meanderings.

15. lonelysea

lonelysea Ban Leaf Blowers

<edit> the falsetto is still intact but works well in the very few instances it’s used.

<<edit>> only editing this so we don’t have to hear what John and Paul thought of All Things Must Pass

16. Interpolantics

Interpolantics Forum Resident

The more I listen to the album the more impressed I am. IMO it's probably his most direct and concise album to date (as FJM anyway)

"Please Don't Die" is beautiful and a stand out.

Like someone else mentioned the only song that I can't get into thus far is the last song. It sounds like something left over from Pure Comedy.

Will be interesting to see where he goes next. The FJM moniker/alter ego is nothing but window dressing at this stage

CWillman likes this.
  17. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

Sidenote: it's extremely impressive how FJM has managed to attain this star status with nary a squeak from his old J Tillman stuff; he never mentions it, and no one has pulled a big reveal that he made eight albums of ponderous, barely-listenable acoustic dirges. From what I can tell, they haven't become any more desirable to collectors, either.

Maybe it's just a lack of knowledge - it's not like anyone still mentions that he was in Fleet Foxes for half a decade either, but even Tori Amos and Alanis Morrissette used to get asked about the pop albums they made before they hit the big time.

18. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

I feel like anyone with more than a passing interest knows about the J. Tillman records, and he doesn't act like they don't exist. It's just that if he talks about them in interviews, he acknowledges that they're not very good.

Interpolantics and BeardedSteven like this.
  19. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Got my vinyl copy delivered on Saturday. Had one of my son's order it for me and some how I ended up with the "Loser Edition" purple splatter with teardrops instead of the standard black. (CB) in dead wax, flat and very quiet, with the sound quality very good!

As I said early, I have never cared for this artist's music, talented, just not my cup of tea so to speak. But holy crap is this not one very cool sounding album! "Date Night" is my favorite track right now, but I like almost every song on it, and the ones that were just ok, seem like they will grow on me for the better. The first side seems stronger than the second, but I still like the second side. Very much a 70's John Lennon/Elton John vibe going on with a touch of Nilsson laced through...

This is the first time I can remember that after not liking anything by a particular artist, that I have found myself digging the heck out of their latest release. I always try and keep an open mind, and so glad I do. This will be on my "Best Of" list at the end of the year, no doubt!

Question for any one else on this thread...is there one other title on vinyl by FJM I should give a try to? Thanks in advance...

BeardedSteven, thanks for starting this cool thread!

Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
    jpgettes and BeardedSteven like this.
  20. Revolver

Revolver Forum Resident

I would recommend listening to I Love You Honeybear next. It’s probably his best album overall.

scotti likes this.
  21. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

I would too, though the fact he said he previously didn’t like him, it’s possible he still won’t. But maybe the new album wipes the slate clean.

I would get the 2LP black version of honey bear. The deluxe fancy had issues with warping due to the pop ups inside, and even though they claimed to fix it.... my color vinyl of Pure Comedy is noisy too. And Fear Fun has some sybillance/IGD that an inexpensive cart may have trouble with.

scotti likes this.
  22. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Thanks for your feedback! I am thinking I might be able to warm up to some of his other music now that I like the new one so much, but also why I want to try just one other for now. There has been way too much vinyl getting released this year and with the new Johnny Marr and Buddy Guy releases this week, and my current favorite newer band "The Record Company" the week after, respecting the budget so to speak, but what the hell, I am obsessed with Music! The new one sounds a little more upbeat so to speak. And I will go with the standard black as suggested.

I try and stay with standard black vinyl, but I will say as of late I have gotten some amazing pressed and sounding colored variant copies. Got The Stones "Satanic" RSD US Blue vinyl and it blows away my original standard black one for sound. Same goes for the last Beck release and of course very happy with the "Loser" edition of the new FJM! If the plants take the care and press properly, we all benefit with great sound and no warping...I have a pretty nice cartridge, not my dream one, but I would be a fool not to appreciate the one I have.

Really appreciate the feedback given to me!

23. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

I love color vinyl, and generally have good luck with it, especially stuff from Newbury Comics. And Im happy with the loser edition of GFC too.

scotti likes this.
  24. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Seems I like every other Father John Misty.

Can take or leave the first one.

Honey Bear I think is a masterpiece of the decade.

Pure comedy seemed gloom gloom and more gloom with a lot same-ishness.

The new one is more upbeat and with the upbeat the comedic slant is funnier. I think over all this one is a much more varied and inner'esting album.

To be honest though a lot of the progressions are becoming repetative.

25. joelee

joelee Hyperactive!

How's the colored vinyl issue of God's Favorite Customer Dan?

guidedbyvoices likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.