Faulty antiskate Thorens 166 mkv

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by ulf_kurt, Aug 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ulf_kurt

ulf_kurt Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hi, fellow forum members!

I get distortion with my Thorens TT. More at high frequencies and more towards the inner grooves. I have also noticed it more from the right channel.

I have changed the stylus, aligned it, checked the vta, overhang and vtf, made sure the tt is level and cleaned my records.

Could it be that the antiskate is faulty? Ive tried different settings but it doesnt seem to matter if i set it max, min or somewhere in between. No noticeble difference in audio or in how it acts.

The antiskate "knob" feels kind of loose. As if nothing is connected to it.

How does the antiskate work on a thorens 166 mkv? Can i somehow check if its still in order?

Best regards. Ulf

Last edited: Aug 22, 2014
  2. adamdube

adamdube Forum Resident

vinylnirvava.com - if Dave doesn't know, no one will!

3. manuelgalvezferri

manuelgalvezferri New Member

The best solution for this is use an assortment of mono LP's in good condition and if your preamp has a mono switch all the better.

4. ulf_kurt

Thanks for the input. I got a chance to look at a friends Thorens TT and the antiskate turning knob felt the exact same way on his. So maybe thats not the problem.

Unfortunately i dont own a mono lp and my amp doesnt have a mono switch.

5. ulf_kurt

Update bump!

Finally after doing all adjustments all over again, with no noticeable improvement, I flipped the turntable over and opened it up. I don't know anything about turntable construction but thought I might at least take a look. Maybe I could spot something very obvious like a broken or loose spring.

And from what I understand when watching the anti skate mechanism from the inside, the spring isn't broken. Its missing!
    I have googled pics of TT-insides and came to the conclusion that a spring should be fitted between white plastic thingy (small hole on the tip) and the black plastic thingy connected to the metal tube in the center of the image (small hole thats hard to see on the photo).

[​IMG]

So, first step is to find a replacement spring!

6. VinylSoul

VinylSoul Forum Resident

borrow your friends spring while your hunting one down for no.1!

7. ulf_kurt

Any idea where to look for a replacement anti skate spring?

/Ulf

8. adamdube

adamdube Forum Resident

9. ulf_kurt

Hallelulja!!

I just installed a standard noname spring, and the IGD is noticeble reduced without much tweaking.

:pineapple:

adamdube likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.