Favorite 12" Singles/Versions/Mixes

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bcaulf, Nov 6, 2017.

1. irwin69

irwin69 Forum Resident

Surely....the zenith for the 12" along with the various Propaganda p:machinery mixes.

2. ggergm

ggergm another spring another baseball season

Here are four that haven't been mentioned yet in this thread. The catalog numbers are just the copies I have and don't reflect positively or negatively on other pressings.

The Magnificent Dance/The Magnificent Seven - The Clash (12" US pressing - Epic 48-02036, 33 RPM)

As it's my go-to bass demo every time I reset my turntable, I've played this record at least a hundred times. Tough vinyl, it still sounds great. This LP doesn't have the deepest bass in the world but it's a driving one and goes low enough. The whole mix should have air and three dimensionality, with the dub opening being not quite as bright as the regular song and a tiny bit more squashed. Plus the combo makes me want to shake my butt, which is absolutely required after the persnickety exercise of accurately aligning a turntable's geometry.

Slippery People - Talking Heads (12" US pressing - Sire 20143-0-A, 45 RPM)
    Go straight to the dance floor. Do not pass Go. Do not collect $200. This mix is as skunky as all get out. Can I get a Hell, yeah? Hell, yeah! My US copy is so USA it even has $4.99 printed on the spine. Yet the label is for a UK release, catalog number SAM 176. The vinyl has the same number in the dead wax but also etched into it is a rifle, which means it was pressed at the Capitol plant in Winchester, VA. It's a citizen of the world.

Wood Beez (pray like Aretha Franklin) - Scritti Politti (12" UK pressing - Virgin VS657-12, 45 RPM)
    This UK copy has the dub version of the song, not surprisingly called Wood Beez (version), on the B side. Other releases have them back to back on the A side. The normal song version is the better of the two. It sounds like a dub already, with sound effects popping up for just half a measure. Beyond glistening highs, there are wonderful drums, very dynamic and going down deep at times. I even suspect many of them are real. This is one LP where I know this UK pressing sounds better than the US one. I played the domestic one for years before I found a used UK copy at Amoeba for $1.99. It's significantly better sounding than my US one.

I Love You, Suzanne - Lou Reed (12" UK pressing - RCA RCAT417 {PC60161}, 45 RPM)
    I'll give you one nobody knows about. Don't tell anybody, you hear? Let's keep this one to ourselves. Here's the scoop: You can play I Love You, Suzanne if you want to, but the real deal is side B, song 2. That cut is the easily the best everloving mastering of Reed's classic song from "Transformer," Walk On The Wild Side, that you'll find this side of Pluto. This version is pure analog goo, more dynamic than a passing jet plane and more musical than a children's choir, especially when the colored girls go doo doo doo doo doo doo doo doo doo doo doo doo doo doo doo doo doo doo. You can easily hear there are both string and electric basses in the mix. Hey, sugar, take a walk on the wild side. You'll never hear it sound better.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
    Solace, Summerisle, pwhytey and 5 others like this.
  3. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Steve Winwood-Don't You Know What The Night Can Do (Extended 12' Mix), 1988 10 minutes of smoothness...

JNTEX likes this.
  4. c-eling

Dink-Green Mind (80's Hydroponic Mix), 1995

5. c-eling

Icehouse -Electric Blue (Extended Mix), 1988 -This one is the Steve Thompson Mix

Sean and John Adam like this.
  6. c-eling

Karl Bartos-I'm The Message (Orbital Remix), 2003

7. c-eling

As posted previously, Level 42 had some great ones.
    I highly recommend if you can source one for cheap, the CD-V for Something About You. Incredible sounding disc.
    It includes the Sisa Mix (Julian Mendelsohn) and the Shep Remix and Coup D'Etat (Version).
    Here's the Sisa mix :)

ARod, Sean, jamesc and 2 others like this.
  8. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

Such a tasteful remix of a great song. Here's another, slightly more bombastic, remix from the ZTT stable (only available initially on cassette, but now also available on the "Art Of The 12" Vol.2" compilation:
    Frankie Goes To Hollywood-Two Tribes (Keep The Peace)

ando here likes this.
  9. Splungeworthy

It's almost assuredly real drums. All of the Cupid & Psyche remixes are great, especially the crackling drums. It deserves a listen. The stripped down synth bass line is killer (this is the version version):
    Scritti Politti-Wood Beez (version)

pwhytey and ggergm like this.
  10. ggergm

ggergm another spring another baseball season

Agreed although I believe Wood Beez was the first single and a real ear opener.

Scritti Politti did have a regular drummer, at least in the early years. Listening to Wood Beez today, getting ready for my post, there was only one drum I was sure was electronic and it was a minor one but was just too solidly locked in to be played by a human. Instead, it kept the time. It wouldn't surprise me if it was part of the initial tracking and used by the band instead of a click track.

pwhytey and Splungeworthy like this.
  11. ando here

ando here Forum Resident

Popped up on my iTunes shuffle just now. Forgot how banging" this 12" jam was.

jtsjc1, c-eling, Mbe and 1 other person like this.
  12. Splungeworthy

The John Robie influence is evident here (but produced by the legendary Arthur Baker):
    New Order-Confusion

c-eling and Mbe like this.
  13. Mbe

Mbe Forum Resident

White Lines (Don’t do It)
    Was anyone aware of ‘Cavern’ by Liquid Liquid at the time?

It was not until purchasing the 1999 Grandmaster Flash 20th Anniversary Sugar Hill Anthology
    that I became aware of the dupe, all those years now memories slightly soured by the knowledge.

c-eling, Splungeworthy and George P like this.
  14. c-eling

In Strict Confidence-Seven Lives (Monozelle Remix), 2004

15. negative1

negative1 80s retro fan

yeah, the scans are large (not mine), but as the text says, it's 'from' the 30cm single 'blue mondy' (sic) typo and all.

i think it was legitimate, i have the other polish 7" without the edit (which is listed on discogs as 'thieves like us/blue monday').

they are't listed because the people that own them haven't submitted them yet.

i've seen the japanese 7" edit on ebay a few times for $500, but didn't get it.

later

bunglejerry and c-eling like this.
  16. c-eling

Good info Thanks :cheers:

17. c-eling

There was a 7 inch 'Single Mix' done as well :winkgrin:

John Adam likes this.
  18. savemenow

savemenow Forum Resident

Kinks - Superman

Summerisle, Razer and greelywinger like this.
  19. Al Kuenster

Al Kuenster Senior Member

Silly Love Songs- McCartney
    Press-McCartney
    Keeping the Faith-Billy Joel
    Too Late For Goodbyes-Julian Lennon

20. c-eling

Anything Box-Jubilation-This Thing Called Life (Our Favorite Stranded Blend), 1990
    Unfortunately the excellent Sir Arthur Edit isn't tubed.

negative1 likes this.
  21. c-eling

Book of Love-Tubular Bells (7' Mix), 1988/ Found on a 12 inch

22. negative1

negative1 80s retro fan

i wish people would post links if they mention some remix, it helps to know what it is.

there was never an original remix of 'silly love songs', there were some in the 2000's that were promo
    or dj mixes.... and they were horrible.

later

Raoul97202 likes this.
  23. Teufelzkerl

Teufelzkerl Forum Resident

This was running up and down in my club back then, pure bliss:

ARod, LennyC. and bcaulf like this.
  24. Lk4605

Lk4605 Forum Resident

..."Mixed emotions " by Rolling stones..Completely different and far better on 12" than album or single version...

Lewisboogie likes this.
  25. Al Kuenster

Al Kuenster Senior Member

I was thinking the No More Lonely Nights 12" single version of Silly Love Songs. Maybe it is not a remix. Peace out!

Lewisboogie likes this.