Favorite '80s 12" extended mixes

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Norm Apter, Dec 14, 2011.

1. Yost

Yost “It’s only impossible until it’s not”

Five that come to mind immediately:
    - Pet Shop Boys, Suburbia (The Full Horror)
    - Donna Summer, I Feel Love (Patrick Cowley Megs Mix, ca. 16 min)
    - Franky Goes To Hollywood, Two Tribes (Annihilation/Lovers & Haters, 9:08 min)
    - Jean Michel Jarre, Zoolook (Extended Mix)
    - Arcadia, The Flame (Extended Remix)

2. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

dave76 likes this.
  3. Johnny Rocker

Johnny Rocker Well-Known Member

4. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

There are several Frankie 12"ers in this thread but I don't think I saw this-a cassette-only release originally, now available on the ZTT "Art Of The 12" Vol.2:

Yost and dave76 like this.
  5. dave76

dave76 Forum Resident

I don't that one has been mentioned before and i also think i haven't included this in one of the sets so thanks!

6. DirkGentlyUK

DirkGentlyUK Forum Resident

Transvision Vamp - Baby I Don't Care

dave76 likes this.
  7. Scott Davies

Scott Davies Forum Resident

Here's the extended mix:
    Cristina - What's A Girl To Do (Exclusive Extended Mix, 1981)

dave76 and sunspot42 like this.
  8. Nate-O-Phonic

Nate-O-Phonic I didn't get a Harrumph! outta that guy...

Thanks for the detective work, Scott. I have never seen that version back in the day. Actually this is different from the one I have. Literally, mine is Vocal version/closely followed by dub version. You could create the version in this video from the elements on my disc, I prefer the version on my dics. It apparently is the B side to 'Things Fall Apart" :
    Cristina - Things Fall Apart / What's A Girl To Do

Now that I read the youtube info that video, I glean that Mr. Rubellian got his DAW in gear and more recently cut up the version that I have for the video. Back when the 12" was released you'd had to cut up tape, or be really good at synching 2 copies of the disk. Great song with acerbic lyrics no matter what!

Last edited: Apr 24, 2017
    sunspot42 likes this.
  9. negative1

negative1 80s retro fan

this is interesting, because it's not really a 12 inch remix, although it was released on a 12 inch.
    New Order - Thieves Like Us

new order would release songs that were not on albums, as standalone songs.

there is a promo 7" edit of it for the UK, so you could make an argument for it.

it is an interesting song though, the instrumental mix, was the b-side of the 'murder' single (also another non-album track)
    New Order - Murder

later

Mr Sam and c-eling like this.
  10. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

11. Yost

Yost “It’s only impossible until it’s not”

This is epic! Wow! Even better than the Anihilation version.

12. HanowarHAIL

HanowarHAIL Forum Resident

The 12" mix of The Main Thing by Roxy Music has been my recent 12" addiction.

I've also been liking the Move On and Love Shadow mixes by Fashion recently.

One On One and I Can't Go For That by Hall & Oates and the Sleepless Dance Mix by King Crimson are favorites.

JRM likes this.
  13. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Which is kind of the same argument for Lonesome Tonight (Edit)
    Took me awhile to track a descent one down...

MikaelaArsenault and Binni like this.
  14. Mr Sam

Mr Sam "...don't look so good no more"

Right. I nearly refrained from posting it, since it's not an "extended" version per se, yet still officially and technically a 12 inch something.

That "something" being one of my favourite NO releases ever.

MikaelaArsenault and Yost like this.
  15. elgreco

elgreco Groove Meister

Wow, is this thread still up and running? Great, but I'll have some reading and listening to do.

Last weekend I picked up a bunch of 80's 12" in a second hand record store that I hadn't heard in a long time. All are from circa '82/'83, when disco morphed into electronic boogie. Some may have been mentioned before, sorry for that.

- Freeez - I.O.U (another Arthur Baker mix in its full 12" glory): Freeez - I.O.U. (Megamix) Original 1983 Extended Remix
    - Kid Creole & the Coconuts - Annie I'm not your daddy (I suppose the 12" is the same as the album version, but it sounds great nonetheless)
    - Marcia Griffiths - Electric Boogie (nice 12" from one of Bob Marley's I-Threes): Marcia Griffiths - Electric Boogie (Long Version) 1983
    - Central Line - Walking into Sunshine: Larry Levan remix of a minor UK and Holland hit from a little known UK jazz-funk act: Central Line- Walking Into Sunshine
    - N.V. - It's alright: NV - It's Alright (Re-Mastered)

...and the best of the bunch: Rocker's Revenge - Walking on Sunshine (cover of an Eddy Grant song in a 9+ min. remix by Arthur Baker:

Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
  16. dave76

dave76 Forum Resident

I like the Rockers Revenge track. I have a CD here which features many different versions of the song including a great rap version entitled "Sunshine Partytime".

17. For the Record

For the Record Forum Resident

M|A|R|R|S - Pump Up the Volume

MikaelaArsenault, Yost and dave76 like this.
  18. Scott Davies

Scott Davies Forum Resident

Yes, that is exactly what I did. I made the mix by cutting and pasting parts of the regular version and dub mix. I've done that several times when there is no extended mix but an instrumental is available, or when I think the original extended mix is lacking. Then I throw it on my YouTube channel.

19. dave76

dave76 Forum Resident

As far as i know M/A/R/R/S only made one single but wasn't there really a follow up? Was the mega seller Pump Up The Volume their only hit.

20. elgreco

elgreco Groove Meister

No and yes - It was a one-off collaboration of two bands that both recorded a track and traded it to each other to work on it. That's what I remember anyway. Wiki offers more detailed information:

MARRS - Wikipedia

In my memory, this was the first track to become a major hit (in the UK and Holland at least, where it hit the #1 spot) that was mostly made up of samples. Although artists did sample a single piece of music before, I regard this a the beginning of the sample craze that dominated the 2nd half of the 80s and has since developed into a musical style of its own.

MikaelaArsenault, Binni and dave76 like this.
  21. Nate-O-Phonic

Nate-O-Phonic I didn't get a Harrumph! outta that guy...

Excellent work, Scott. I used to do the synch 2 copies method live when I worked as a DJ back when it was fun to do so in dance clubs. I have also used a DAW to edit for a podcast series a few years back. It's amazing how the technologies change. I'll look forward to seeing more stuff on your channel.

Scott Davies likes this.
  22. dave76

dave76 Forum Resident

Thanks for your info. I know it is available in many countries and each one has their own unique mixes.

23. fpas

fpas Just...take it easy, man.

Good question. When I find the time that would be an interesting comparison to make.

MikaelaArsenault and dave76 like this.
  24. dave76

dave76 Forum Resident

From what i have heard Japanese releases often have the best sound.

25. fpas

fpas Just...take it easy, man.

Well, a lot of the japanese records from back in the day sound good, because they were, mostly, very good pressings on good quality, silent vinyl, and the covers are often higher quality, thicker and sturdier. That 12" I found was in mint shape also. A no-brainer for the 20 or 25€ I spent on it.