Favorite 80s Fantasy Film

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Ghostworld, Jan 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SquishySounds

SquishySounds Yo mama so fat Thanos had to snap twice.

LadyHawke was alright. Except for the godawful synth score

MoonPool and Solaris like this.
  2. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

I voted for Legend.

3. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Why isn't Excalibur included?

Karnak and Blender like this.
  4. This.

Solaris likes this.
  5. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

I'd also like to bring up The Navigator (1988), subtitled "A Medieval Odyssey."

I saw Labyrinth on the big screen recently. What a threadbare movie. Not much of a story at all, but diverting for kids at the time I suppose. I was too old for it when it came out, so it's never been much of a favorite, but it has its moments.

SandAndGlass and Rhapsody In Red like this.
  6. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Red Sonja remake would have been wonderful with Rose McGowan. Robert Rodriquez directing as well.

Bobby Buckshot likes this.
  7. Cabin_Essence

Cabin_Essence Member

I would have to say The Dark Crystal , but perhaps its just because we owned a copy that I watched all the time. I also watched Krull all the time. Probably a terrible movie looking back at it, but the Glave was such a sweet weapon.

Karnak and seed_drill like this.
  8. GlamorProfession

GlamorProfession Forum Resident

write-in Dragonslayer

Solaris and Erik Tracy like this.
  9. Derek Slazenger

Derek Slazenger Specs, rugs & rock n roll

I really dug Krull :)

Karnak and Cabin_Essence like this.
  10. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

Haven't seen any of the movies in the poll, but I have seen the above movies. I liked Xanadu so much that I saw it once and bought the soundtrack the next day (one irritation is that the soundtrack album doesn't contain the uncut version of "Xanadu" as it was in the movie) and the movie on laserdisc soon after. Great music and a very enjoyable movie.

Who Framed Roger Rabbit? - A great movie and the kind we will likely never see again: 24-frame animation, and a combination of characters that will never be able to appear on screen together again. While it goes far a field from the book (in fact, little from the book other than the main characters made it into the movie), it's still a great movie.

SandAndGlass and Miriam like this.
  11. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

I realize that I have unusual tastes, but I also enjoy bad special effects, having grown up watching Ed Wood horror movies (where is Forrey when we need him?).

It was one of the more visual movies at its time. I liked the flying dog thing. The plot was indeed disjointed, but the movie was held together by the children, who were excellent.

Like FOTN a lot also. Many scenes were filmed around the Fort Lauderdale area. I thought that it was a good film all the way around. I had it in my VHS collection. I need to get it on CD or Blu-ray.

12. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Flight of the Navigator is an interesting film because it shows the awful possibilities of time travel (also touched on in Back to the Future 2). It was pretty much a bomb for Disney because it was not a traditional "feel good" movie.

Kirk76 and Karnak like this.
  13. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Which is why it was such a good movie!

Disney doesn't seem to make movies that fall in the middle. Either they are a high end, class production or they are that direct to video sort of crap.

They filmed part of the movie in Fort Lauderdale.

I liked the Journey of Natty Gann and Wild Hearts Can't Be Broken, were both excellent films.

Kirk76 likes this.
  14. MoonPool

MoonPool Senior Member

My vote is for The Dark Crystal. Labyrinth is a close second.

15. Machiventa

Machiventa Forum Resident

When I came into the thread all 4 were tied with 17 votes. I tipped the scale towards The Dark Crystal.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.